So, I'm sure a lot of the guys on this forum have

mad mike

Senior Member
So, I'm sure a lot of the guys on this forum have paddled ushaka beach, especially at the beginning of their paddling career. I just wanted to let those of you who paddle in the area because tackling the surf elsewhere might be intimidating or you can't manage to go anywhere else before work, don't be too quick to discount this area.

This morning I decided to go for a paddle at Ushaka with the intention of restocking my bait supply. Last night I decided to pack a trolling rod in...just in case.

After smashing the maasbanker, I put one out livey under a balloon...just in case.

I was about 300m past the sharknets in front of Addington, just starting to catch a few nice mackerel when "just in case" came to visit.

To cut a long story short:blah I was towed to the shipping lane, nearly fell overboard when i was gaffing it, nearly lost the gaff (luckily it floats) but eventually landed my first YFT off the ski (14.1Kg weighed). :breakd:

Tackle used:
Rod: Kingfisher Strikeforce PSF12 rod
Reel: Daiwa firewolf 40H
Line: Kingfisher GA 0.45 (no leader)
Trace: no. 6 wire, 1x 4/o single and 1x 4 treble
 

Attachments

  • Tuna.png
    Tuna.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 543

mad mike

Senior Member
Not a member yet, but I work very close to Ushaka. looking at joining soon.

Fight was +- 35mins... feeling a bit stiff this morning, was a busy day yesterday.
 

Donaven

New member
Well done on the fight! Im also keen on joining the club but i recently sold my Kayak. was very uncomfortable as the ski i had was not suited to my size. i am now looking to purchase another one, got my mind stuck between a Stealth supalite, pinnacle original and a stealth BFS.. im looking for a good second hand one as i do not have the cash to spend on a new one.. Anyone got any leads??^^..
 

Moztoppie

Member
Donaven wrote:
Well done on the fight! Im also keen on joining the club but i recently sold my Kayak. was very uncomfortable as the ski i had was not suited to my size. i am now looking to purchase another one, got my mind stuck between a Stealth supalite, pinnacle original and a stealth BFS.. im looking for a good second hand one as i do not have the cash to spend on a new one.. Anyone got any leads??^^..

Hi Donaven

I might have a Stealth Supalite for you.
I changed from Supalite to Pinnacle Elite.

The guy (Family member) who bought the Supalite bought himself a Jet Ski because he thought paddling is to much work.

The ski is in Nelspruit and I can send some pic's if interested. Fish finder and paddle included.
Price is open for discussion.
 

Donaven

New member
Just an update: picked up a second hand supalite-x at a bargain (R3500). dropped it off at Erics, they did a pressure test and the seams aren't to good at some places, plus there was some dodgy patchwork done by the previous owner. anyway Gary will have all this fixed by next week for R500!! super stoked to get on the water again.. hopefully we can meet up? contact me on 071Eight771128_seal1_::tight:
 

yosarrin

New member
Hi Mike
A bit of a technical question but here goes-I assume you had a mozzie out on a balloon as kind of as a long shot, whilst you were getting live bait-put another way if you had of gone there just to fish for YFT would you have caught a couple of live bait first and then trawled say x2 at a medium pace, probably with one on or close to the surface and the other say using about a 4 ounce sinker (downrigger) about 7-10 metres behind the live bait?

In other words would trawling livebait be your first choice as opposed to using a balloon or drifting for YFT in that area-I would have thought that using a balloon or drifting you would pick up quite a few nuisance sharks as well?

Or is drifting your first choice for YFT-and do you always just drift with a nylon trace (because of sharks?)and do you philosophically accept that occasionally you might lose a couta because of no wire, but losing that odd couta is a worthwhile sacrifice of at least not having the hassle of sharks wasting your time?

Incidentally the Durban Paddle Ski annual fishing comp 2 weeks back was won by a 18 kg YFT just off Vetchis trawling a live mackerel (using a cuda trace).

cheers
Derek
 
Top