[size=3][font="Times New Roman"]Here are some Carp

DJP

Sealiner
Here are some Carp flies that I’ve tied that have been very successful.

 

I tie them on size 6-10 Van der Merwe hooks. The hook points are bent about 30 degrees off center which increases your hookups a lot (a little trick I learnt from fishing conventional bank angling, you can test this by tying a normal hook to a piece of fishing line and pulling it through your cupped hand, do the same with the bent hook and see how much easier the bent hook grabs your skin). See on the photo how the hook points lye facing upwards. 

 

B,D and E. The bodies are made of normal duck/pheasant feathers, basically the same as the American ”Teeny Nymph” pattern.

 

A and C. Are tied ribbing made from the yellow latex gloves you use for dish washing. The insides of these gloves absorbs permanent marker well, thus making them easy to colour. The tails are made of duck/ pheasant feathers ore from the fluffy parts at the base of cock hackle (the later works best). These patterns sink in a parachute manner presenting the fly in a very enticing manner. When the Carp sucks up the fly the fluffy part always goes in first helping with the hookup ratio.

 

F. Is just another variation with some hackle to make the fly sink slower and lay at an angle.

:wfish
 

Attachments

  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 203

Oxeye

New member
Interesting flies. I'm very keen to know how they work. Using offset hooks is quite controversial - some guys claim better hook up rates, others don't. PLease post your results.
 

DJP

Sealiner
Yes offset hooks are quite controversial. I have confidence in them and that helps a lot! My take on it is that every pattern and hook has its specific application and there is no set standard that will always work in all conditions. I’ve done a lot of experimenting in dams close to my house and these patterns have proven to be most successful. I normally stalk feeding carp and basically drop the fly 5 – 30 cm (depending on water clarity and depth) from their mouth in the direction they are feeding. I like using larger Van der Merwe hooks and believe if the presentation is natural the size of the fly won’t scare the fish. I only bend Van der Merwe hooks and not the normal type ones.

 

I’ve used Van der Merwe hooks for tying yellow fish droppers as well. Using it New Zealand style in conjunction with a small PTN or Hot spot has proven quite successful with many fish actually being caught on the dropper itself.

 

I will however not advise using offset hooks for swimming imitations because they tend to spin a bit.

 

 
 

DJP

Sealiner
Here is another pattern that I’ve had success with. Yellow and red beads work best, these are tied on size 10 –12 nymph hooks and can be swam close to the bottom because the bead makes the hook point face upwards. No hook bending here.
 

Attachments

  • aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 195

DJP

Sealiner
One with the bead on the hook shank. Sorry for the blury pic.
 

Attachments

  • aa1.jpg
    aa1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 196

Bingo

Senior Member
Some nice patterns there DJP. I also like catching carp on fly if the time and weather permits it. Those big buggers are like steam trains on a 6 wt fly rod. I will try and post some of my creations from the vice...

Just a shame that the local authorities are so full of S....T when it comes to the dams in the Durbanville area.

Rgds   :fishn
 

DJP

Sealiner
Jip, I often go the dams to see how many species I can catch so experimenting with different flies in different conditions all the time. Bingo please do post some of your creations I always find it very interisting to see what flies people catch on. With regards to the Durbaville dams...:fswim 
 

cptfly

Senior Member
What is the current status on fishing at the Durbanville Dams, are we allowed to fish at Sontraal ?
 

TOE 007

Sealiner
cptfly wrote:
What is the current status on fishing at the Durbanville Dams, are we allowed to fish at Sontraal ?

Well , we still fish there , the top dam , its not legal to some , but i have fished there for more than 13 years , and feel that ,i have the right to fish there , i am not one of the guys that camp out there with muti boxes and stan ect ect .

the lady giving problems is Wendy , she fone the police a couple of times , trie to make an 'example ' of my she said ,  never got chase away there though.

 I WILL NOT, SUGGEST YOU GO, GOOI THERE .

 Bellwater ,are open again , the magic forest dams are , apparently also of limits , but we have never had a problem there too .

i dont reckon you will get fined or jailed for fishing !
 

DJP

Sealiner
Here is pattern that I've caught some surface feeding carp on, its something different from the bread flies that is normally used for surface feeding carp in the local dams.

The "Serendipity" is actually a midge pupa imitation tied on size 12-18 hooks but this one is tied on a size 8. Normally the fly is tied with a tapered head but this one I left the deerhair on to add some buoyancy. The body is red wool.
 

Attachments

  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 157

Bingo

Senior Member
Ja, must agree with you TOE007. The guys that practices fly fishing surely holds no threat for the environment and fish. I only catch and release and use barb-less hooks.

Will still post one or two off my carp killers....

Rgds 
 

DJP

Sealiner
Shot Toe 007 daai boonste twee regs, die een met die rooi stert en die een langs hom met daai fluffy tail lyk dodelik vir Karp! Ek sien jy gebruik redelik harde hackle op jou fliegies so hoe beinvloed dit jou strike rate? Eks altyd bang vir die hackle op karp fliegies omdat ek bang is die maak dit makliker vir die karp om daai fliegie uit te spoeg.
 

TOE 007

Sealiner
DJP , dis n sagte hackle wat ek so half ,half brei dat dit nog sagter is , die fluffy buggers is ook reg vir bietjie baber jag , as jou hackle te wyd is dan sal jy dalk problems he met missed hookups , soms slurp die karpe so vinnig die vlieg op dat ek betwyfel die hackle maak n verskil , ek het al baie sukses gahad op 'dropper' flies  amper soos MR mills se KARPSMS vlieg .

 

Alhoewell ek voel die hackle is deel van die sukses van die pattern , want hy stoot water en maak dalk bietjie meer marakas as iets sonder hakcle , as daar prominente bubbles is dan gebruik ek die karp sms of iets met n groot bead ,tungsten of copper , die rooi copper werk beter vir my . Obviously as die bubbles mooi opkom wil jy gou gou daai vlieg in die zone he!

 

:fishn:fishn:fishn
 

DJP

Sealiner
Ok my fout, hackle lyk obviously harder op pic as wat dit is.

Bietjie hackle help definitief om die fly meer lewendig te laat lyk. Swart woolly bugger met rooi stert is great vir carp.

Vir droppers gebruik ek gewoontlik iets soos 'n Czech nymph.
 
Top