Sight Fishing at Sterkies

RaGGie Boy

Senior Member
Hi guys I need some info please,I'm going to Sterkies for new years weekend and want to do sight fishing for yellows.I do a lot of flyfishing in the vaal but this will be my first time at Sterkies.We are staying at Qwantani resort.We also take a boat so that we can cover all the water.First I would like to know which areas could I do sight fishing (names or gps coordinates would help),secondly which fly patterns should I use.

Regards RB
 

big one

New member
hi i think your best bet will be dry fly's and it they aren't chowing it try some nymphs .....beetle paterns also work like a bom
 

habib

Sealiner
hi

the best rig for sterkies is a dry and dropper.

grasshopper/beetle dry and a dropper about 20-30cm down

i had great success using bloodworm and mayfly imitations on the dropper

a single caddis on a 2pound tippet of about 6m also produces well.

they very skittish....find a bush and duck when u casting.


small tip that graafs very well..........cast ur dry to the feeding yellows but not to them....just a few meters away. take some sand in your hand from the ground(just a little) and throw it to your fly(if u can reach). gets their attention most of the time and some do come to check and thats when u start to retreive. but thats only if u sighting for them

all the luck
 
Top