Shelley Beach

Lunatick

New member
Hi people, we are planning a trip down to Shelley Beach at the end of March.  We have never been down there at this time of year.  I would just like to know what type of fish can one expect so that we can prepare for that.  I went through capt Chris's reports (they are all beautifull and make you "lus" for fishing) and last year that time they caught YFT, dorado and the cuta that started comming out. 

We were down there last year in Jul and then the small YFT, sada sada, bonnies (nice size) were busy.  We also caught one sailfish infront of Manaba about 600m from the side and then plenty of Tropical yellowtail, GT's and small Amberjack on the jigs (the big ones gave us a hiding :fbash)

I'm busy preparing for the trip and all of the reels are loaded with new nylon, lures are stocked up etc.  What else can one look at in terms of traces that I can build and to target ^^..?

Thanx guys, I really enjoy this site and have learned big time here ::S!!!
 

Lunatick

New member
Just a little feedback on Shelley. 

The current was strong, very strong and wind the same.  This made jigging very difficult, but caught some bonnies and YFT on the jig, mainly the silver abbys jig.  On the troll we caught mostly small YFT in the 4 - 6kg class and one bigger one of 32lb.  On the spinning tackle we caught some skipjacks on the maria spoons, great fun on the light tackle!  We played with the roosta plugs, on the troll if you hook up on a YFT, you start trowing the plugs, 8 out 10 times we hooked up on another 1 or 2 YFT, great fun and the visual strike is just awesome, you guys have to try it.  Also just cruising around and as soon as you spot the YFT jumping, start trowing the plug and bamm, vas!  Species were limited, no other fish coming out besides the ones that I mentioned, and the then the commercials going for bottom fish!

All in all a great week, conditions not that great, but still better than being in the office! 
 

BigVan

Senior Member
Hi Lunatick
It is good to hear that there is fishing at Shelley. I am going down with my Jetski over Easter. Can you help me with good spots and what worked for you. Us Vaalies do not have time to first work out what work and where. The time we spend at the sea is so short. I will appreciate any help .
Thanks
 

Lunatick

New member
Hi BV,

I'm not sure how far you can travel out with the jetski, Protea banks is about 8km out.  We managed a few skipjacks and YFT on the clearline out to Protea on feathers, but that was also about 2 - 3km's out.  I just hope the wind shettle, because it was hectic the past week!  We only have the basic coord's, but I can give that to you or just go and ask at the tackle box, good advice you will get there! 
 
BV, Take your boat... Don't be a "vaalie". If you can get out you have to hit Protea banks! If you need someone to help you launch, I'll organise you crew and I'll bring my hand held GPS!
 

BigVan

Senior Member
Hi Bennie

The time down there is to short to tow the boat all the way. I will most probably take it down when I am there for ten days or more. It is almost 800 km from home to Shelley. I will definately invite you when I have the boat at Shelley. I am also going to visit you in Winter for the night fishing. My laaitie is also very keen. Are you going to be in the area over Easter? If so contact me and we could put something on a fire.

Go well 
 
Top