Rod Advice please

Streak

New member
Hi FA,
Just saw your post now. You guys make it very difficult!!
I like the fact that the Aero is a 3 piece as well as Shimanos backup service.
Just spoke to someone who knows the Air and said that in real terms 2oz is it's max. but that it's a superb rod up to that point that will cast miles.
Decisions decisions!!!
 

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
ignoblis wrote:
Aerocast is the only option - The technology in it is beyond any other rod available.

ignoblis

I agree with ignobilis

If you buy the Air, you will end up[ going back for an Aerocast, beleive us when we tell you there is nothing else that compares as we have been around before the Aerocast and I have bought many rods and never been totally happy. I heard about the Aerocast 2 yrs before it became available and bought the 1st one that became available in SA and only then did I find the rod I wanted.

Aside from casting, the Aerocast has a double action, straight up is ultra fast, and if you hook into a biggie then you turn it sideways for a softer action to for but power.

Your choice.

FA
 

Streak

New member
Thanks folks. I think I have pretty much made up my mind on the Aerocast, haven't bought myself a birthday present in a while!!
What size jig heads complete with 5-7" plastics would be comfortable with this rod? I was thinking 2oz max!

What do you do to protect your finger when casting with braid? I saw the bionic finger which looks like a good idea.

All my previous casting has been max half oz so haven't really needed finger protection before.
 

Streak

New member
Hey Igy, us office bound Joburg guys aren't as tough as you Durban okes!!

Last thing I want is to damage my casting finger two days into my vacation!! I see online that many use a piece of latex impregnated bandage wrapped on their casting finger. I have some of this, it's called Coban bandage and is available locally. It has no adhesive and only sticks to itself.

So, now that I have worked out how to protect my finger I still need to buy the rod! Hopefully I'll be able to handle both rods at a tackle shop tomorrow.
 

Streak

New member
Handled both rods in the shop today. The Aerocast is a very nicely made piece of gear. Both felt similar in the shop.

I have decided on the 2.7m (9') Aerocast XH and will hopefully get it tomorrow.

Thanks for all of your help.
 

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
Streak wrote:
Handled both rods in the shop today. The Aerocast is a very nicely made piece of gear. Both felt similar in the shop.

I have decided on the 2.7m (9') Aerocast XH and will hopefully get it tomorrow.

Thanks for all of your help.
Well done and enjoy it
 

neilg

Sealiner
Fishing Adventures wrote:
Aside from casting, the Aerocast has a double action, straight up is ultra fast, and if you hook into a biggie then you turn it sideways for a softer action to for but power.

Personal opinion guys (and now attack intended on anyone)

THIS IS AN OVERRATED FEATURE.

Just think about it, how do you turn a rod with a spinning reel sideways and still reel line in ?

You gonna have to do some strange twists with your body to still use the reel.
 

Streak

New member
I tend to agree Neil on the feature being over rated even with it's triangular blank butt section. I am not looking for this rod or the Air for it's sheer pulling power but more for its casting ability in the 1oz to 3oz range with the emphasis being on 1.5oz with large plastic.

Being a 3 piece as well as Shimano's backup was the eventual deciding factor for me.
 

ignoblis

Senior Member
Nealg - it is hardly turning the rod sideway but merely a twist of the wrist. Also probably only used when the fish needs to take some line.
 

neilg

Sealiner
ignoblis wrote:
Nealg - it is hardly turning the rod sideway but merely a twist of the wrist. Also probably only used when the fish needs to take some line.
I understand the concept of it, but wanne c it being done in the "real world". Off a boat it could maybe work, but with rock and surf, I very highly doubt it.

I think it's a case of lets see how many people we can get to buy new rods because of this "feature". I mean we anglers always run after the latest and greatest (me included sometimes)

I'm just imagining holding the rod in my hand, reeling line in, a fish takes the lure and now "with a twist of the wrist" ::S I have a "softer" rod, and then when I want to pull the fish I have to twist the wrist back to reel in again and repeat the process over and over. I would bet that people will buy the rod for this "feature", but will never use it.

It still doesn't make sense to me, cause with that "twist" your wrist has to hold the reel up, and then its your wrist, your reel and grafity wrestling eachother ...

There is a much more practical solution to this need, people should just not set the drags on their reels so tight, then hooks won't pull and there will be no need for such a "twisty" feature.

It's funny how things work, we want a more "direct" feel, so a non stretch braid gets developed. It's so direct it's amazing, everyone buys it.

Fast and Very fast action rods get developed, because of the braid, we love it and we buy it ...

a year or two later, people complain about hook pulls because of the "directness" ...

No harm intended, I just enjoyed your twist of the wrist comment !
 
Top