Reel and Rod combo

Tyson

New member
Greetings fellow fishermen,

I was given a daiwa exceller  plus 4000 e by a friend who owns a fishing shop. I have a purglass 300/0 two piece rod.I want to fill the reel with 30lb or 50lb Kingfisher casting braid. Is this a good combination? I want to use the set up for casting spoons and small rappies and occasionally use it with bait. What size and how long must my leader be.? What size rappies and spoons will be compatible with this combo? Any good advice will be appreciated. I would just like to addt that i have visited many websites and i find the SEALINE website to be very informative, members to be unselfish in parting with knowledge and experience. Keep it up guys.
 

Ryan

Sealiner
Tyson - Welcome to Sealine bud.
Please Update your town and location in your profile.
Is this for freshwater purposes or Saltwater?
 

ignoblis

Senior Member
Tyson

firstly I, personally would not buy the KF casting braid. Considering you scored the reel for nothing spend a little extra on some better line( If you can). I have used it before and recently respooled with Berkely Tracer Braid it is much better.

As far as size of spoons I cant comment as I do not know the rod.

ignoblis
 

neilg

Sealiner
30lb or 50lb Casting Braid (both Kingfisher and Berkley Fireline) is VERY THICK line, And you will not be able to fit a practical amount of line on the reel.

If you are looking for a strong but thin line rather look at Berkley Whiplash or PowerPro line, thinner and still strong

If you intend doing a fair amount of casting (with the heavy line) then I would go for PowerPro.
Whiplash is thin and strong, but the people that jig with 50lb and up line prefer PowerPro.

I would rather say look at something like 20lb line for the reel, that way you'll be able to fit in the 200m region of line on the reel and when used and faded after a long time simply roll the line onto the spare spool, then the "old" line will be at the bottom of the spool and the new line at the top again.

If you insist on casting braid then rather consider something like 10lb or 14lb Fireline.

I would really really not recommend Kingfisher Casting Braid, I bought some, got a few Wind-Knots while casting with it, and GAVE IT AWAY FOR FREE.

I have a 12000 Spheros, it has a pretty deep spool, I tried to put 80lb Fireline on it, I don't think I got 150m of line on it. I really doubt that you'll be able to fit 100m of 50lb fireline on the 4000 reel. My Spheros is currently loaded with DoubleX 50lb braid, of which I managed to fit 300m on, it's thinner than Fireline but still on the thicker side, after a few months I will replace the DoubleX Braid with PowerPro for vertical jigging.

On what length the leader should be, that really depends on you, if you gonna be casting heavier lures (as far as you can) then either a long leaderline or a glove to protect your finger.
Long leader should be the length of your rod plus 1m

For lighter lures you can go with a short leader between 500mm to 1m

That one is up to you

The thinner braids are hard on the fingers once your hands are wet and the skin goes soft
The casting braids aren't.

Me personally would either go for PowerPro 20lb in either white or green
or
for Berkley Fireline 14lb in white or green

Personally I stopped buying the bright colours, more difficult to see for both you AND THE FISH.

As for the rod, no idea, can't help u there.
 
Top