Raggies in Ballito?

Pucky

Senior Member
I have heard of a raggie comming of Daves Rock, A raggie of Ballito Tidal pool and more recently a spearo saw one off Boulders!

QUESTION- After never really hearing of or seeing any raggies while diving / fishing over the years, why now?

Why have we never really got raggies here on the dolphin coast? yet you get them further north and down south!
 

Nemesis

Sealiner
I know you get Raggies of Tugela in October,but never ever heard of them in the dolphin coast.Would be awesome thou if they start to come out:D
 

Mike69

New member
Pucky I will mms you the pic from Daves. I've lived here for 29 years and these are the first raggies Ive heard of.
 

Pucky

Senior Member
Thats the thing (dolphin coast), there are so many good set ups yet no raggies.
The guys on the ski boats say the raggies are a hassle of the dolphin coast but they don't come in like they do at say Vidal or Mapelane
 

JJ Pienaar

Sealiner
habib wrote:
yup its true
uncle hab'z when the lighty tell's u some thing u must not ask question... Didnt i tell u about this a couple of week's back ha ha Rag's are every where even at my favorit place to fish i'm heading that way this week end gona show the club boy's how to fish the spot proply
 

Shikz

Member
What about the one that came out at Umdloti about 2 months ago .. ?? Looks like they are coming to our stretch ^^..
 

Shikz

Member
What about the one that came out at Umdloti about 2 months ago .. ?? Looks like they are coming to our stretch ^^..
 

Shikz

Member
I think it was caught by the owner of either Double Deadly or Tackle centre...It was posted on Sealine. Do a lil search...

Pucky, I remeber having a chat to you about this on high rock that sat when the sealine social was on....

I think I MIGHT have hooked one on Sun off high rock on a huge mack/ chokka bait.... never hooked one before but it was slow, heavy and a lil stubborn.... could be either a big skate or small bag....

A decent description of a raggie fight anyone?.....
 

Shikz

Member
Pucky....

http://sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=8079&forum_id=1&highlight=umdloti+

My mistake.... It was a raggie at Umdloti but it was caught last year Jul... Interesting thou hey....

Pucky, When we going to high Rock or Daves Rock?....
 

Pucky

Senior Member
Shot Shikz. sorry about the memory though.
Very interesting about the amount of Bags in our area over the past few weeks/months.
 

Dion Govinder

New member
Howzit Pucky...........

 

I've also spoken to the ski boat guys along our coast and apparently on the back of our coast line i'e between the 500m to the 1000m line there are raggies and also further out. They've hooked into raggies plenty of times and at times they've become a nuinsance to the boat guys, where they've had to pack up and move to another spot.

My opinion is that:

1) It could be that geologically our coastline is not set up for raggies, as you would know from diving, our coastline is generally approximately 2,5m deep and shallower in most places, therefore our waters warm up quicker or

2) Could be because of the the number of shark nets around thus preventing the bigger sharks from moving in. You would accassionally gat a bigger shark bypassing the netts but thats about it.

I hope i make sense..................


 

Hey Pucky..where's the flat fish...........what u amd Morgan catching.......
 

Pucky

Senior Member
Ya thanks Dion, the coast line and geography must be one of the main reasons. I do a bit of deep sea fishing and yes at times the rags are so thick especially when the geelbeck and daggas are around.
When we spear fishing here on the dolphin coast we dive up to the 20m mark, No raggies. When we dive at a place like Vidal for eg: sometimes they are wall to wall in 10m of water.

Ya we been catching a couple summer fish.
 

Pucky

Senior Member
Mike69 wrote:
Pucky I will mms you the pic from Daves. I've lived here for 29 years and these are the first raggies Ive heard of.

Shot for the Pick Mike !

But I can't seem to open it on my phone, It Tunes "the message could not be adapted to your teminal" Wht ever that means!!

I'll blue tooth it from you tomorrow.

 
 

Dion Govinder

New member
Pucky wrote:
Ya thanks Dion, the coast line and geography must be one of the main reasons. I do a bit of deep sea fishing and yes at times the rags are so thick especially when the geelbeck and daggas are around.
When we spear fishing here on the dolphin coast we dive up to the 20m mark, No raggies. When we dive at a place like Vidal for eg: sometimes they are wall to wall in 10m of water.

Ya we been catching a couple summer fish.

Yeh it is abit of a strange one, but it would be really great if we can catch them regularly here, might not have to travel to Transkei then.............lol

Hey Pucky...when we going fishing together................:wfish
 
Top