Private Farm dam for a day and night?

bronze back

New member
Hello all swaaiers of the pap and gooiers of the bomb!

Please give us a little bit of a heads up for a trip I'm doing to a Natal midlands carp dam . Friday over night leave Sat morning.

I have done the research , tied the traces , prepared the bait...SWD, caramel dough ,floaties brown bread etc...even getting farmer friend to drop in some ground bait in the form of mollases blocks and mielie bomb.

This is a very unfished piece of water, decent size...here's my question:
Is the idea to keep it simple consixcdering these fish are practically virgins, or will the scents and flavours as well as feeding spot come into play?

Lastly , can i expect lots of small fish due to overbreeding or is there a chance at the odd decent fish in such a dam ie. stocked and forgotten about, no real management.

Any advice appreciated.

cheers
 

iggy

Sealiner
I'd stick to basics. Kaboom miellies, miellies, doug " soet deegie" tigernuts, brownbread. If the venue is unfished I think introducing the fish to all sorts of flavours, floaties, boillies would spoil the venue and the natrual enviroment for them. We all know how certain anglers can spoil and condition a dam by dumping barrels full of boillies into them.

It's the same as feeding your baby cereal for the 1st time after months of just drinking milk, they don't take too kind to it...lol

Mielliebom for feeding spot will certainly attract small fish too but the bigger fish would be lurking close by for sure.

Just my 2c but, I cud be wrong.
 

bronze back

New member
Thanks Iggy. I get the feeling simple is the way forward, been reading up on Floro additives and bleeding floaties etc. Think these things were invented for heavily fished waters, hoping that dough and brown bread approach will do the trick on unweary fish...2 days to go -will keep you posted -cheers

 
 
Top