POOR BRAID TESTS!!! Merged threads...

GL

Guys, please help

i've just loaded stella 10's & 20 000 with "80lb double x viper braid" and "80lb jig man X8 braid" and "stren 130lb" . . . is this stuff ok as have no shop to go to next month when on trip? also bought 900m as back up

could pull the viper braid up to 40lb on scale with out breaks and then my litie started following me aroung the garden with rod ending the test?

Reefman

Sealiner
Master, I did that. Just to make sure I wasn't being an idiot somewhere along the way and that my Digital scale was working properly... Took Giant abrasion/Double x and Siglon lines... breaking strain was more or less what they claim....

Another interesting thing was that the Shimano Speedmaster's drag jams very easily... and it's brand new, never been used?!?

Reefman

Sealiner
Graeme... as far as I was aware.. the Viper braid and the Stren is among the best there is... the price shows it. I don't think you need to be concerned there. I'm pretty sure this is a symptom of the cheaper brands of braid...???

Ajay

The Jig Man is also pretty reputable stuff according to a few very serious NZ deepwater yellowtail jigging addicts.They wont use anything else.

sardinella

I have phoned Kingfisher in Dbn and spoke to a guy called Wayne. He told me that he has actually been testing 45lb Kingfisher braid yesterday (Friday) ....  coincidence  mmmm and has been getting 19 kg regularly.

He took down my details as well as my dealers details and has requested me to send the line back via my dealer for further investigation.

Before sending it back I will definitely hold some line back from every spool in the presence of my local dealer.

I urge everyone who has a concern about their Kingfisher braid to test it themselves and post results (bad or good) for everyones benefit.

Please also phone Kingfisher directly on 031 3683903 and speak to Wayne. These guys are professional and if a problem exists I am pretty sure they will endeavour to resolve the issue

Sardinella

POIZN

guys thanx for the heads up on this topic,it seems as tho were getting ripped off by these 'top' bands so to say.one would expect nothing but the best seeing the price we pay for the ''good quality braid''.but it seems as tho the most significant aspect of the line ,being the breaking strain,is just a mere marketting gimmic.its a total ripp-off. has anyone tried out the test on mustad braid??

cheers_ poizn

Nepptune

Sealiner
Graeme - I think you bought well mate... Stren and Jigman are tough as nails....Post some pics of the laaitie running around the yard while tied to a Carpenter and 10K.... :)
I think we need to be careful about writing off certain brands before seeing what they have to say... I know Power Pro admitted to a bad batch of lines, and replaced all of a certain bacth with Anglers in the US through dealers... chances of our local dealers doing that are slim and f*k all usually, so I am very encouraged to hear that Kingfisher are investigating it further... good skills on your part Sardinella in following it up...

Poiz - Mustad braid? I dunno man... Mustad make hooks, and I'll leave that to them...although I'm not crazy about their hooks.... But would love to hear the test results... But I think I will stick to Power Pro, and Stren, and Jigman Ultra..... and around year end Bonus time I'll fork out for some Varivas.... :)

Hooked

Tested my KF 45lbs today before spooling my SHINY NEW TORIUM 50.Broke at a best of 18,2kg and a worst of 17,4.
Not accurate but good enough for me.One thing to add is that it broke at the holding point evry time.

Reefman

Sealiner
Tested 45lb KF today again as well... couldn't get it above 10.5kg. And it NEVER broke at the holding point, nor at any of the knots.

Then tested Whiplash 30lb - broke at between 5 - 8kg:shock: - also never at the knot or at the holding point....

Now I'm peed off...

GL

Hats off to rod makers . . . new carpenter stick that arrived from Japan via NY last night passed 10 kg drop test.

SA agent says too many comebacks due to breakages so now importing another make . . .

Reefman, confused all the carp fisherman at Leeukop Dam poppimg for 2 hours today

Will have to go to butcher shop to test various braids as scale only gets to 60lb and doesn't break

GL

here is drop test . . . dog food bag

Attachments

• P1070027.JPG
    P1070027.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 670
Reefman wrote:
Tested 45lb KF today again as well... couldn't get it above 10.5kg. And it NEVER broke at the holding point, nor at any of the knots.

Then tested Whiplash 30lb - broke at between 5 - 8kg:shock: - also never at the knot or at the holding point....

Now I'm peed off...
Hey reefer..i am guessing that the whiplash u tested was wat we filled on your saltist 30? U paid over 500bucks for that braid! Bloody hell..so its not only kf braid thats horribly wrong..
Furthermore that whiplash braid is only about 3 or 4 months old..
Could it be that we testing used braid instead off new braid and thats how hooked got a good reading on when he tested his and everyone elses testing is not producing the results..

Hooked

[color=#006600]Reefman[/color] wrote:
[color=#006600]Hooked[/color] wrote:
Tested my KF 45lbs today before spooling my SHINY NEW TORIUM 50.Broke at a

Wowee... congrats on your new toy... hope it's as kind to you as your Trini...

What you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry cant remember , something like R1800.

It was a very hard decision between the trini 40 and the tori 50.Torium got the nod cos it weighs far less than the trini.

GL

After thinking about test on other braids and towing my lietie around garden on rod, redid Viper & Jig Man braid 80 lb tests as follows:

Tied braid to 100lb KF mono with double albright knot. Attached braid to broom stick and mono to scale. Results from 3 tests each:

Viper braid broke at between 42 -46lb. Cost of 300m = +/- R550

Jig Man braid broke at between 44 - 50lb. Cost of 600m = +/- R900

Price mean F@#$$%. We should get manufacturer to advise how to do tests@##$

Pic in case u wanted to buy this stuff.

Attachments

• P1070037.JPG
    P1070037.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 662

Ajay

Hell GL ---Bad news all round esp given the prices per metre of the stuff.Did u do a test on the Stren or was the lightie too mangled!

GL

Ajay

used my 15 yr old boy this morning and after 1st break he started getting worried when braid snapped and if it would cut me in half cos VIPER label says stronger than steel !!!!!!!!!!!!

I spooled 2 x 10, 1 x 20 000 stellas and trinidad 30 with these brands plus bought extra metres of the stuff.

I will be doing tests at Solly's later in the week on all the rolls they sold me and will go thru every new roll in shop until it passes.:X 

we go to kilwa in less than 3 weeks so last thing we need is panic about our braid break points.

Ajay

Very surprised about the Jig Man.The guy (Chris if I remember right....Nepps should remember)from the Jigsdirect website in New Zealand has landed a lot of ridiculously big yellowtail and he swears by it.