Please help ID rockod species

Johan S

Senior Member
Hi, I would appreciate it if somebody can help me identify the following species

1) a yellowbelly rockod ?
 

Attachments

  • 01012008(003)_sealine.jpg
    01012008(003)_sealine.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 220

Johan S

Senior Member
3) ???

I have no idea... Notice the soft greenish "horns" this fish has. It was caught of North Pier at Richardsbay. It's behaviour was very interesting, it flared open its (side, don't know the proper name) fins and gill plates in an effort to intimidate. When that didn't work, it urinated... Poor fish, I released it as soon as I got the hook out.

Techinically, it wasn't caught on dropshot... Lastly, apologies that the pictures aren't that clear, had to take the snaps on my cellphone.
 

Attachments

  • 26032008_sealine.jpg
    26032008_sealine.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 218

Noweeds

Sealiner
The 1st two are a yellowbelly and a malabar the 3rd could be a klipvis sp but would need a side pic to be sure!
 

FStander

Senior Member
Nope I disagree No 1 YES Definately a yellow belly. Number two seems to be a juvenile Malaber and the third one is a common blennie.YES I have finally been able to access sealine again - My days is complete
 

Noweeds

Sealiner
I thought that was what i said.....have not seen a common blenny with such a green colour and those spots...thats why i went klipvis of some sort.
 

Johan S

Senior Member
Thx for the feedback guys! I googled the blennie and found a pic here: http://www.wildinbritain.co.uk/LifeontheEdge/Blennies.htm Unfortunately I don't have another pic, the poor fish seemed to be in such distress that I returned it as soon as possible. However, the blenny in the above link seems to be a sleek fish, this one was much more stocky, like a rockod.
 
Top