Pickhandle Barracuca in Gonubie

FLUKE

Sealiner
I heard that a Pickhandle Barracuda of 80cm came out of the Gonubie river. I think it was yesterday, (might also have been last weekend). That is an awesome fish for the Gonubie river. Has anyone else heard about it and what it was caught on?
 

I.T guy

New member
haven't heard about it but have caught some myslef but no where neer that size more in the 30cm range
 

tkei

Sealiner
fight like a wet rag though. pretty common in transkei rivers but ja, usually 30-40cm, 80cm probably fought like 2 wet rags.
 

FLUKE

Sealiner
I heard it was up at the Red banks but I don't know what it took. Apparently there was a peice in the cheil of the Daily Dispatch, I'm trying to get a copy to read it.
 

Zane

New member
Lived in slummies, Gonubie and Glen Garrif for about 9 years.  Fantastic fish and great surfing. 

Used to fish red banks in mid 90's with bass lures before the big flyfishing and drop shot craze. Caught huge skippies, pickhandles, small ignolobis kingies, yellowspot kingies and leeries.

The spot used to cook but I found that the fishing dipped very badly from about 1998.  Glad to here that you guys are catching fish again

Great to hear that there are still some fish to be caught in the Gonubie river.  Used to fish the Kwelega river but skippies were very weary of lures and I could only manage to catch them on live bait

How is the Nahoon river fishing?
 

couta-koppie

Senior Member
Well, this here pichandle in my post was 80cm and it was caught on 2kg mono dropshoting off Richards Bay, Pelican Island. Hell of a lot of fun. Got it on the Mann's Hard Nose 5'5" SwimShad.
 

FLUKE

Sealiner
Zane, I don't relly fish the Nahoon, Too many recreational boats. All the rivers mentioned are incredibly silted up. Nahoon is sanded up past play waters, Gonubie is about 100mtr past Pops cabin jetty's. All the rivers are tough but some good cob(I haven't seen them) and quite a few small Leery coming out of Gonubie. I just can't get them to take dropshot!!! Had one follow a skitter walk today, threw dropshot in the area for 1/2hr then put in a live mullet and on in under 5min.
 
Top