Pension pipes

Aqua Dude

New member
Hi guys.

I would like to know when do you leave your rod in the pension pipe?

If you are fishing with big slides and live bait only or can you put your rod in the pension pipe with lets say - a sard/chokka combo on a 6/0 hook fishing the surf and hoping for the best?

Your views on this please?
 

Hound

New member
I dont really like pension pipes, to me the best part of fishing is the pull, if your rod is in the pipe I gfeel you loose out.

Having siad that, the pipe is fine if you are using big baits looking for bigger fish that will usualy pull you flat. Fishing for fish like bream or any edible is inviting disaster! These fish need a good strike to set the hook, usualy because they play with the baits without really moving off. The fact that when you fish for bigger fish you use a bigger harder bait will mean that the small fish will not finish it off too quickly, but if you are using a praw for eg you will need to be quick to change baits and a pipe is not practical.

Just my veiws though!
 

adam5016

Sealiner
there is nothing better than the adrenalin rush when hearing your reel screaming and you are 50m away. i swear that i'll put most sprinters to shame during those times.

I like using a rod holder and for some reason (maybe i'm just paranoid) i get more bites when i'm not holding my rod.
 

Mannie

Sealiner
adam5016 wrote:
there is nothing better than the adrenalin rush when hearing your reel screaming and you are 50m away. i swear that i'll put most sprinters to shame during those times.

I like using a rod holder and for some reason (maybe i'm just paranoid) i get more bites when i'm not holding my rod.

I've seen guys 130+kg run 50m in 4 seconds flat when the reel starts screaming :lol:1.

Back to the topic, edibles I go for mainly are Mussellcracker and kob. With these I leave my rod in the holder as they will let you know when they are there. With other eds, such as Gallies and Hotties I hold the rod as the type of bait is different, softer and smaller which means the small fish will probably get to it before anything else. Need to put fresh bait on the hook on regular occasions, so you will be doing a lot more walking if you put it in the pipe and start strolling around. If it's really dead I'll throw a bait and leave it in the holder as well and then pray to King Neptune to please just let 1 of his many fish go :lol:1.

But in general, I put it in the rod holder.
 

DD

Senior Member
All depends how "thick" the fish are. If its quiet, then obviously the rod will chill so that I can rest my back.

As Adam said above, I'm not interested in the bite, i'm interested in watching my rod dip flat and line getting peeled off. Then the chaos starts....Damn, I need to wet a line soon, its been long.
 

rofflign

Sealiner
or when the bites are few and far between and you are lekker moeg, just leave the rod in the holder for a while while you recharge the batteries.
 
Top