Outboard for sportmans cabin

morne.smith

New member
Hi

I am looking for an outboard motor....for my 14' sportmans cabin boat.

What are the pitfalls I should be looking out for.

I know the following:

1. It must be short shaft

2. 40-60Hp.....60Hp if I want to to do skiing...my kids might want ot?

3. Must have controls with...as I only have the steering?

4. Is a tilter needed?

Any advise most welcome...

 
 

VikingRSA

New member
The 1st thing to look out for would be the serial number. It will either be on the motor mounts by the transom or on the “Welch”? plug located close to the flywheel if I’m not mistaken. If there is no serial number I would not recommend buying that particular motor as it can cause you some serious headaches when stopped at a road block! Otherwise, make sure that the control box is not stuck or difficult to move forwards and backwards. Also have the motor checked out by someone who knows outboard motors well just to make sure that everything is there and working properly.

 

Safe boating!!
 
Top