Ok so reading enough SL posts you have an idea of

Fredster

Senior Member
Ok so reading enough SL posts you have an idea of what you should have, but what do you actually take with, what extras you deem indispensable and the softer issue of how and where you organize it so its accessible but not in the way.

This is what works for me; here's mine, you can comment, show yours.... 

this one's like an overview...the litre water isn't intended to be drunk, the energy drink in the 500ml bottle is, the white pvc tube is stuffed with 20m rope (just pull the ends and it comes out without tangling or unrolling. 
 

Attachments

  • P2080194 [800x600].jpg
    P2080194 [800x600].jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,186

Fredster

Senior Member
The water-tight sac holds this stuff more compactly than a container, and can easily be clipped to the deck or pfd in an emergency; when closed with air in, it also provides good bouyancy. Apart from its obvious use the space blanket provides radar signature when spread out and is very visible from the air. 

This sac is kept in the dry hatch where accessing it in wild seas doesn't compromise the ski if flooded - you dont want to have your arm up to the shoulder scratching around in the fish hatch for it in those conditions..

The GU stuff i learned about from some tri-athltes and surfski racers...prevents that crashed moeg feeling and i think it helps with recovery (my wife likes this because i can mow thw lawn after a hard paddle instead of sleeping on the couch) 
 

Attachments

  • P2080196 [800x600].jpg
    P2080196 [800x600].jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,179

Fredster

Senior Member
last one is PFD and the gear attached to it. GPS also in front pocket with flares and cell when not navigating, and lies on the hatchlid infront of me when navigating, and cant get lost.

For the eagle-eyed Sealiners, yes the flares are expired, but i keep them as back-up, there are current ones are in the green sac with the smoke marker.

the lumo hat is tied to the pfd and adds to my visibility. The whistle adds to my audible signature.

 
 

Attachments

  • P2080199 [800x600].jpg
    P2080199 [800x600].jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,186

zulu-X-treme

Sealiner
Hey guys this is really excellent... This is going to benefit everyone and I think in the long-run make the world of difference when it comes to keeping us as paddlers 'safe and sound'... Thanks very much.
 

Psy

Sealiner
Proactive in Safety is vital! Good Job!

However my comment re your expired flares:

Throw them away! They are expired and are dangerous! Do not utilise expired Flares. They have expired for a reason ~ they are unstable, expired/dangerous.

That is something I have learnt from doing many Offshore Sea Survival courses.

Even more dangerous as 'you' the paddler are the one using it. There is no'one to assist you when you burn your arm,hand or face. Handheld flares are the most dangerous.

Best still is to have a welders glove to place on your hand before igniting the flare.
 

Fredster

Senior Member
Thanks Z-X-T and Psy (the insomniac - lol) for your comments, thats great.

Agreed about the flares; i never intended to keep them indefinately, you know just for a bit after they expired as a back-up, but you just brought that home to me and point taken, i'll dispose of them now. (i'm sure there must be others who also have current flares but hang onto their old ones for a bit..)

thanks, F

 
 

zulu-X-treme

Sealiner
When it comes to the cost of replacing flares it's sometimes just difficult to throw them away, especially if they have never been used.

But Psy I hear you load and clear, what you say is correct and if I think about having my hand blown off, I'd rather replace them.
 

robert.venter

Senior Member
Hey fredster, Well done
My setup is very similar, with the dry bag in the rear hatch.
What make PFD is that, the one I currently have irritates the living Sh!t out of me.
 

Fredster

Senior Member
Thanks Robert, its a Quiver, not sure if they make that model anymore; the newer ones are completely made of that mesh fabric and also have optional hydration pocket at the back. I have another PFD too, also with front pocket, if you are looking at other options ill post a pic of that too, but the name of that one escapes me right now.
regards
F
 

potevan

Senior Member
Great advice, especially for us novices.

I am one of the unfortunates with a BOEP (ja ja probably going to get some comments). Is there a PFD on the market that cater for us guys. My current one tend to ride up and then sits sort of above the boep and under my chin...it is a bit uncomfortable.
 

Fredster

Senior Member
Thx, yes, a PFD thats too tight restricts your breathing and you never quite seem to catch your breath......too loose and there's the risk of you slipping out from under it (kind of it floats, you sink and fall out the bottom of it if you know what i mean).

my yellow pfd has a loop in front at the bottom which i beleive its intended use is for a crotch strap or leg loops which will prevent it from riding up. I think a crotch strap  could give yourself a heck of a wedgie like that though...ugh nee sies just the thought of it - lol.

Thigh or leg loops (similar to the bottom half of a climbing harness) threaded through such a loop on the PFD could actually work quite well for you; it doesn't have to be any more complicated than a length of webbing with an adjustable buckle i would think.

cheers F :)  
 

PH

Senior Member
Great posting Fredster, thanks

I must admit being a bit slack lately about safety but your posting is a bit of a

wake-up-call.
 

lazy eal

Senior Member
Fredster i think this is a very good thing that you brought up after the little situation we had, to make alot more paddlers aware.

Very well done.
 

TAITO

New member
Fred you are orginized as always , you really seem ready -vir groot k#k.

What is the expiry time on those flares.
One of these day`s you are going to have to tow another ski behind for all your other goodies-ha
 

zulu-X-treme

Sealiner
I've got this Foghorn... It's much, much louder than a whistle.

2113o1s.jpg
 

Danie Burger

Senior Member
Zulu that is very nice, where can I get ahold of something like that. I go fishing in the evenings quite often when I visit my dad in the Bitou and Keurbooms river and visibility is always an issue.

At the moment if I hear a boat approaching I just torch them in their faces to make sure they see me. (It's not a powerful torch so I'm not blinding them) I'm just worried that someone take offence one day and decide to ride over me on purpose.
 
Top