Ok, let me start by saying i have had tackle stole

alwyn

Senior Member
Ok, let me start by saying i have had tackle stolen from me, tackle borrowed from me and never returned, broke four custom made rods in Albertinia under the shaded parking through my own stupidity, although i would not admit it at the time and all these episodes fades into nothing compared to my catch log that i meticiuosly kept up to date since 1983, when my bakkie was stolen with said log behind the seat. neither bakkie or log was ever to be seen again. i cringe every time i think of that log, why did i never file it on a computer? why did i leave it that one time in the bakkie, i dont have the answers to that. This happened in 1995, and my wife started a new log yesterday, with entries 1 and two reading galjoen 38.5cm and galjoen 39cm with times caught bait used, the tides and conditions etc. So for all you ladies and gents that keep a log, keep the written one in your house not your car, and open an file on your computer and print it regularly.
 
Early last year I decided to do a little impromptu water temperature check at Holbaai in passing one day. Now, on the day I didn't have my thermometer handy but on my wrist was my trusty Suunto, with barometer, thermometer, altimeter, and every other meter that could possible get me give me the desired data to get me closer to the fish! So anyway, stooping at the waters edge with my wrist shoved into the sand with 5 second interval waves threatening to drench me was clearly not the way to go, so I decided to do the next logical thing and that was to dig a hole at the water's edge, wait for a wave to fill it up, and then drop the wristwatch into the hole for a minute or two to hopefully reach the desired temperature. So picture this, now I'm crouched at the water's edge and waiting for the digital numbers to find their mark. In two seconds my attention becomes diverted to some of the other equally important components that would hopefully send me scurrying for my tackle and bait and in that briefest moment of distraction the once in a million year wave rises out of nowhere and nails me!

My only concern at this point was my watch, so, with the water now sucking back around my knees and threatening to take me back with it to whenst it came from, I shoved both arms into the hole. This action was to serve two purposes, firstly to brace myself and secondly to retrieve my watch that must surely be suffering the same fate! The abrupt downward movement of my upperbody behind splayed arms sent my cellphone hurtling into same hole, the end result of which was that the Suunto was now *moertoe*, (* = gone, missing, nowhere to be felt or seen)... and my cellphone had now been instantly converted into a spirit level!

At R6k for the watch and another R4k for the cellphone, that has to go down as my most expensive instant blunder ever!
 

alwyn

Senior Member
Chris Shelton wrote:
Early last year I decided to do a little impromptu water temperature check at Holbaai in passing one day. Now, on the day I didn't have my thermometer handy but on my wrist was my trusty Suunto, with barometer, thermometer, altimeter, and every other meter that could possible get me give me the desired data to get me closer to the fish! So anyway, stooping at the waters edge with my wrist shoved into the sand with 5 second interval waves threatening to drench me was clearly not the way to go, so I decided to do the next logical thing and that was to dig a hole at the water's edge, wait for a wave to fill it up, and then drop the wristwatch into the hole for a minute or two to hopefully reach the desired temperature. So picture this, now I'm crouched at the water's edge and waiting for the digital numbers to find their mark. In two seconds my attention becomes diverted to some of the other equally important components that would hopefully send me scurrying for my tackle and bait and in that briefest moment of distraction the once in a million year wave rises out of nowhere and nails me!

My only concern at this point was my watch, so, with the water now sucking back around my knees and threatening to take me back with it to whenst it came from, I shoved both arms into the hole. This action was to serve two purposes, firstly to brace myself and secondly to retrieve my watch that must surely be suffering the same fate! The abrupt downward movement of my upperbody behind splayed arms sent my cellphone hurtling into same hole, the end result of which was that the Suunto was now *moertoe*, (* = gone, missing, nowhere to be felt or seen)... and my cellphone had now been instantly converted into a spirit level!

At R6k for the watch and another R4k for the cellphone, that has to go down as my most expensive instant blunder ever!
Tsk tsk tsk, chris we all do stupid things when we smell the ocean:doh:doh:doh
 

Abaddon

Sealiner
@ Chris - Man that is an EPIC FAIL !!!

Not sure I can top that one even if I had to really think about it.. ::titanic:
 

alwyn

Senior Member
Chris Shelton wrote:
Early last year I decided to do a little impromptu water temperature check at Holbaai in passing one day. Now, on the day I didn't have my thermometer handy but on my wrist was my trusty Suunto, with barometer, thermometer, altimeter, and every other meter that could possible get me give me the desired data to get me closer to the fish! So anyway, stooping at the waters edge with my wrist shoved into the sand with 5 second interval waves threatening to drench me was clearly not the way to go, so I decided to do the next logical thing and that was to dig a hole at the water's edge, wait for a wave to fill it up, and then drop the wristwatch into the hole for a minute or two to hopefully reach the desired temperature. So picture this, now I'm crouched at the water's edge and waiting for the digital numbers to find their mark. In two seconds my attention becomes diverted to some of the other equally important components that would hopefully send me scurrying for my tackle and bait and in that briefest moment of distraction the once in a million year wave rises out of nowhere and nails me!

My only concern at this point was my watch, so, with the water now sucking back around my knees and threatening to take me back with it to whenst it came from, I shoved both arms into the hole. This action was to serve two purposes, firstly to brace myself and secondly to retrieve my watch that must surely be suffering the same fate! The abrupt downward movement of my upperbody behind splayed arms sent my cellphone hurtling into same hole, the end result of which was that the Suunto was now *moertoe*, (* = gone, missing, nowhere to be felt or seen)... and my cellphone had now been instantly converted into a spirit level!

At R6k for the watch and another R4k for the cellphone, that has to go down as my most expensive instant blunder ever!
Cell phones i think is an common occurance, but a suunto hell i wouldnt even want to mention it, i would probably crap myself.^^..
 

Wart

Senior Member
Lost my fishing buddy in December to complications during routine surgery; hasn't been the same since then :-(
 

Abaddon

Sealiner
Wart wrote:
Lost my fishing buddy in December to complications during routine surgery; hasn't been the same since then :-(
Indeed, as Chris said, all else becomes insignificant and for lack of a better word, petty, when you think about it.

Condolences guy.
 

DD

Senior Member
This will never happen again. Ever.

I did not double check my 3 piece Assasin connections. So, 1st cast ends up with my medium tip breaking off the the middle piece's housing. Coupled with a "gunshot", my tip is sent flying into the dark ocean. That sound sent shivers down my spine. What a sickening feeling.
 

wp34

Sealiner
My worst was seeing my Assassin Heavy and Torium30 fly out of my pension pipe and dissapear into the waves. Me standing about 30metres away talking k@k!! This was 4 years ago on Arendse Road and I still feel like crying!!

Lesson learnt!!!

Brian
 

tsp

New member
I was tired the other night and packed up ready to go home from a fishing trip... So tired that I left my rod resting against the side of the car, reversed out of the parking and heard the inevitable *crack*, and felt the bump of driving over the reel. rod en reel in sy moer
 
I'm really embarrassing myself now, but that has happened to me on a 3 day old brand new Purglass aswell. Fortunately my wheels missed the reel, and to all intents and purposes the rod looked fine on first inspection, but when I gave it a wipe down at home I picked up a shard of graphite in my pinky. The rod was crushed about 3 ft from the tip!
 

fishfinder23

Senior Member
I was throwing my cast net tryna gather some mullet at the river.Next thing i look in my throw net and see a cell phone!On closer inspection it looks surprisingly similar 2mine...Only to realis it is in fact mine!I was wearing a hoody jacket with side pockets and the turning motion of thowing my net obviously flung it out into the depths!Not a huge loss,i actually found it quite funny!Haha
 

alanlloyd

Senior Member
was fishing the government jetty at witsand at about 2 in the morning,only had my surf rods with me so i had my 14' posieden and grandwave 50 laying on the jetty with a live bait out on slide in the channel, was standing chatting with friends when i heard my reel scream and thought i was in for a 100 pounder.... until my buddy pointed out the boat that had appeared out of nowhere and was screaming up river! needless to say i watched as my entire rig flew off the jetty and disappeared into the river!!! i still wonder to this day how many other rods and reels are quietly forming a reef in the breede!
 

tauruck

Sealiner
In 1989 I had ALL my Bass rods (8) on the back of the bakkie.

It's difficult to secure rods in a bak so I tied them to one of the hook loops on the side near the back.

Needless to say they fell off at about 120k's and a jerk in a big Merc drove over them on purpose.

I had stopped, reversed and was just waiting for him to pass to pick my stuff up when he with a big smile aimed for them and went right over them.

I gave him the finger and he replied but he never figured on my "Bakkie" being faster than his car or that he'd get caught at the only traffic light for 10k's.

That's another story.

Every rod was crushed and the funny thing is that you never seem to be able to replace the same rods after owning them for a few years. New models, different properties.
 
Top