Newbie seeking advice !

Homie

Sealiner
Hi guys, I'm new to the dropshot scene and want to get a proper setup. I am thinking of the Diawa excellor 2500, but with which rod ? Also, after reading about how poor the quality of braid is, which brand would you recommend ??? I want to spend about R1200

Thanks guys !

 
 

Ocean_darku

Senior Member
Howsit homie.....i just put up an ad in the classifieds section for my dropshot rod i need sold....if your interested i think it'll compliment your reel and balance perfectly...6"6 loomis n franklin 2 piece medium heavy drop shot rod..used twice...still with the plastic over the cork handle ...gimme a shout if ur interested..paid 385 i want 285...only had the rod for about 3weeks now
 

Reefman

Sealiner
Homie... welcome to SEALINE!:welcomesea:

Exceler 2500 brilliant reel....

Rod... Ocean is offering a good deal there....

otherwise, go for a 7 ft Shimano Beastmaster medium heavy action... it's a versatile rod that can handle bigger fish if need be...

Line... the only line standing up to the tests on braid is Berkley's Fireline. Fantastic stuff... with the Exceler 2500, go for 10lb Fireline and away you go...
 

Ocean_darku

Senior Member
Yup reef's totally right bout the fireline ,cant get anythin less worth while else you'll bite your elbows in sorrow and anger when tht big king gets away :)
 

Andz

Senior Member
howzitt guy


i gotta agree wit the guys


Reel = def the 2500 excellor
Rod = Ocean has a very nice road, but if u not near him to get
i say go for 8" graphite shimano or diawa road
Line = NOTHING BUT Berkley 10lb wit floro carbon leader

this is my setup, which works excellent 4 me
Reel = shimano sidestab 4000
Rod = shimano 8"6 graphite rod
Line = 10lb berkely fireline + maxima 14lb Floro carbon leader
Baits = I ONLY USE BERKLEY Products
 

Homie

Sealiner
Thanks guys,
Od, I'm a bit far from u bro, but thanks for the offer.
Reef, Good to b here.
I have heard about the Berkley Tactix ??? any good ??? and whats this about a fast action, heard it gives the lure better movement ? but can a fast action rod handle larger fish ??
Sorry for all the questions, but from what I've been reading you guys know a hell of a lot !!!
Thanks guys
 

klippies

Member
Hi Homie
If I may add some questions to your thread, I am looking at trying dropshot, and are in the dark a bit. Apart from the obvious ( rod, reel and line) what else do I need to purchase? Also, what knot is best to join the fireline to your fluorocarbon leader, and how long must your leader be?
Sorry to hijack your threat
 
Thanks
Klippies

:?
 

Homie

Sealiner
Hi Klippies,
U need to check out the Knots section in Sealine. Reefman has shared ALOT of his knowlege with us amatuers.
The yucatan or the bimini cats paw is what he recomends and I have tried tying them and they not too hard to tie.
Thanks RM.

You also gonna need some Jigheads and soft bait. Check out the dropshot forum, TONS of info there...
Tight lines
 

Andz

Senior Member
Homie...are u in jhb as well

klippies u should join us at the social this coming sat day...
 

klippies

Member
Andz

Am currently in Nigeria, hoping to get a flight Wednesday. If I am back in JHB by then I will make a plan.

Thanks for the invite
 

Andz

Senior Member
klippes, sure man...all the details on the site here

homie...had mine here the past wend...pitty u man
 

Homie

Sealiner
Yup, Thanks for the help Andz.
Probably gonna get both at Mia's.
Just gotta wait till payday now. this Valentines day B*ll drains you !!!
 
Top