neilg and other dropshot experts, I Give up

Loams

Sealiner
I'm hoping someone can help me out of my misery with this rod of mine. I have Googled it to see if I can find out more about this rod and what kind of applications its suitable for.... But to no avail..... I just cannotfind info on it

Let me give you the specs first

It's:
Shimano Crestfire 70MS-2
It's a 7 foot rod
Line weight 6 - 17lb
Lure weight 1/4-3/4oz

It's quite a stiff rod which I bought a couple of years ago when I went on my first tiger fishing trip in Botswana

I have caught a huge barble on it and it handled the punishment very well. Is this rod suitable for dropshotting in the sea or is it overkill? Would I be better off with my 6"6' Shimano Scimitar Medium fast rod, or is the Scimitar too light??? Some guy in Knysna laughed at me and told me if I fish with my Scimitar the first fish over 2kg's is gonna snap it in half....... So I dont know if that's suitable either

If the Crestfire suitable for dropshotting I'm going to pair it up with a Slade 2500 reel and 8lb Fireline and a 16lb Flouro leader

:doh HELP!!
 

Dingleberry

Senior Member
Dropshot fishing is a bit like golf, one needs to have a rod suited to the purpose. The jig weight I use the most from the shore is the 1/8 ounce on a 1/0. The 1/4 ounce is the next I'll try if the wind is picking up. A rod that'll cast both of these weights would therefore be my first option. A second rod would handle from 1/2 to 1&1/2 ounce. 4 - 6 pound line on the light rod would be perfect. A stiff rod with the action all near the tip would be prefferable. Your 2500 size reel and leader selection are perfect. As for the rod snapping - I don't see why it should if your drag is set correctly and the line strength is matched to the rod. I have personally landed some great fish on extremely light tackle without issues. Obviously it all depends on the terrain you're fishing over.
 

neilg

Sealiner
Dingleberry gave you the answer, to the T.

Only an IDIOT snaps a rod when fighting a fish, I mean how the hell does the guys using 4kg line with very light river rods (dropshot rods) land 30kg cob ? They use the drag on the reel. You need very strong line and a very tight drag to snap a rod when fishing light tackle. A different story if the rod is damaged or if you fishing almost locked drag aka jigging.

The guy that told you that is probably using 15kg line, on a Penn 49A with a 14ft rod to target 1kg grunters. He's casting with a 7 ounce sinker, scaring all the bloody fish away when that sinker hits the water.

He doesn't know what he's talking about- probably OLD SCHOOL.

I love to fish next to people like that, it gives me GREAT pleasure making their names GAT, I normally outfish them left right and centre. Ever seen what a GAT looks like, go and outfish him, you'll quickly see.

I had the same on Brighton Pier last year, had about an hour to go wet a line, quickly took light tackle and went, I was throwing very small plugs on my dropshot rod, about 1/2 ounce, a "league" angler was standing next to me with his BIG rod catching elf for the next days competition, I think he caught a whole ONE, while throwing the plugs he asked me what I'm targetting, ofcourse I replied LEERIES.(he should have known, being such an experienced LEAGUE ANGLER) He laughed and asked me and what the hell are you gonna do if a leerie takes that plug (looking at my rod and reel with the very thin line), I laughed and said ... I'm gonna land it, take the hook out and then release it. He didn't talk to me any further ... arsehole (unfortunately I didn't get a hit, would have loved to show him)

Ask him how much skill is there in catching a 1kg fish on 15kg line ...

Nothing wrong with your equipment, it's PERFECT
 

neilg

Sealiner
My brother and a friend of his also laughed when I took my light tackle fishing equipment with on the boat, they only laughed the first time we went, NEVER AGAIN.

If it's in the sea, I'll take it on with my light tackle, I will lose some, but win MANY.
The thing with light tackle is simple, you need to know what your tackle is capable of, set your drag properly, and be patient, it really is an art.

Do you know how much fun you have fighting a med cob, a nice bonnito or a big elf on light tackle ... the best sports you can have with your "rod" in your hand.

they now only have RESPECT for my light tackle. They normally start offering me a smoke, just so that I can stop fishing for a few minutes and they can get a turn to play with my light tackle.

My brother now also has some "light" tackle that goes on the boat with him.
 

Nepptune

Sealiner
Loams - Go with the 7ft matey,extra distance, little extra backbone if you need it.... 7ft rod is nohere near overkill... I fish a very similar stick, specswise for light spinning and plastics.

Enjoy
 

Loams

Sealiner
That's it settled then

I'll take both LMAO.

I just wonder how I'm gonna get 3 rods on a plane though. I have to take my ultra light outfit for Bassing too
 

neilg

Sealiner
There are some "specialists" in PE that say the ONLY rod for dropshot and light tackle spinning is a 6.6ft rod, the rest they say is not suitable.

I say any rod from 6.6 up will do, depending on what you want to do with it, but I'm not as well known as them so I might be wrong. I use a 7ft and 8ft rod.
 

Bluefin

New member
Hi Loams.

I used to have a 6'6 scimitar fast. The Rod is super strong. If you want to fish light then its the righ rod. If you want to go with heaier jig heads then use the other rod. I would def take both. Maybe later get a slightly longer rod for the sea for the extra distance etc. You should read neils articles they will explain alot.  Below is a pic of me along time ago and my scimitar 6'6. See how the rod bent ?
 

Attachments

  • Turtle1- Rod Tip.JPG
    Turtle1- Rod Tip.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 185

Bluefin

New member
End result was a hungry little turlte. Rod won't fail you. Have caught plent of Kob, kingies etc. But its more for finesse shorter distance cast fishing.
 

Attachments

  • Turtle2.jpg
    Turtle2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 185

Bluefin

New member
This was also on a slade 2500. Can send you lots of pics of "nice" fish I caught on the rod and reel. Don't underestimate it.
 
Top