I took off early yesterday to look for a dive in the PE area.
I'm a member of Noordhoek Ski boat club where we surf and windsurf very regularly. It has a little harbour with slipway, which leads into a "trench" for the approaching boats. Surf either side. Looked perfect for Cracker etc.
Anyway, after a while in fairly good vis, I managed a size blacktail in foamy water in the surf zone. Just as I'd finished getting it on my stringer and I pushed off to find more, when out of another foam ball comes a Duckbill ray of around 40-60kgs. Past my speartip. Massive wing span is a hellova thing to see under water. I nearly K&Ked myself.
The next thought in my head was, these travel in schoals right? Am I gonna get T-boned by another few through the foam? Do I move? Luckily he was alone and I made it back without actually soiling myself.
I'm a member of Noordhoek Ski boat club where we surf and windsurf very regularly. It has a little harbour with slipway, which leads into a "trench" for the approaching boats. Surf either side. Looked perfect for Cracker etc.
Anyway, after a while in fairly good vis, I managed a size blacktail in foamy water in the surf zone. Just as I'd finished getting it on my stringer and I pushed off to find more, when out of another foam ball comes a Duckbill ray of around 40-60kgs. Past my speartip. Massive wing span is a hellova thing to see under water. I nearly K&Ked myself.
The next thought in my head was, these travel in schoals right? Am I gonna get T-boned by another few through the foam? Do I move? Luckily he was alone and I made it back without actually soiling myself.