Namibia

KLIPVIS

Sealiner
lyk my nie so nie ! maar ja kan seker werk alhoewel die see maar redelik aan die gang is meeste van die tyd , jy behoort baie vis te kry.
 

marine69

Senior Member
I have a feeling that ski boat or "vessel" fishing is band from just outside Swakopmund up the coast?
 

week-fish

New member
Ek was al paar keer in henties en het al twee keer n
Rubberduck gesien visvang by Jakkelspitz. Die mense het daar gekamp en sommer van die strand af gelaunch. Moet se hulle het tonne vis gevang!
Hulle was van walvisbaai,so ek weet nie hoe wettig dit is nie??:kaykak:wfish
 

Alexbenk

New member
I was in Namibia a month ago and had a bit of a look around with an eye to kayak fishing. The main problem is that there are very few places to launch a kayak from the beach...the waves tend to break quite powerfully on the beach ('dumper' waves, not those ones that just crumble), even though they are small, which would make it really tricky. They also often break quite unpredictably over a large area, so you could get caught out. If you are in Walvis/Swakop area you might want to have a good look at the Vierkantklip area...this place is well known for cob among the skiboat anglers and I'm sure if you manage to get out there you will get quota in no time at all...just need to find a nice gully that you can exit on. You could of course launch at Swakop slipway itself, or perhaps at the jetty (which should provide some shelter against the waves), but not sure how far you would have to paddle to find fish.

I did however watch the waves while fishing from shore at Vierkantklip and noticed that they can pick up quite a bit as the tide changes...so you could find yourself struggling to make an exit, especially as Vierkant is rocky. There is a small beach where guys swim/bodyboard...which might be a possibility. I asked around a bit and though a few of the locals have considered fishing from kayaks (there are plenty of guys who kayak in Walvis Bay lagoon just for kicks) I think the main thing is that most guys catch enough fish from shore...so haven't bothered...guys in Namibia are pretty spoiled...driving up and down the beach and fishing out the back of their bakkies with a beer in hand. Missioning out there with a kayak, and then trying to exit without getting smashed into a sandbank...well, it just doesn't make much sense to them. Here in SA we're used to suffering for our fish...

Google Earth can also be a useful tool, but as far as I can see there are no natural bays Henties side.
 

Alexbenk

New member
From what I can see it's just not worth the effort to take your kayak all the way to Namibia...it's going to add drag to your vehicle and increase your fuel bill...plus, how much fish do you really want to catch anyway? You'll probably find that you won't have too much problem catching fish for the braai from shore...your daily quota is ten fish anyway and there are limits to how much fish you can bring with you over the border (us South Africans have done a lot of damage to Namibia's shore fisheries over the years so just want to throw in a plea that you and the other guys reading this thread stick to the regulations - not saying that you don't of course). If I lived in Walvis Bay I would probably give kayak fishing a try, but not if I was travelling up from South Africa.
 

marbe

New member
Thanks Alex. I have been up to Henties a few times and yes theres not a lot of spots for the yaks. I was thinking of Vierkantklip, Wlotskasbaken, Jakkalsputs, Mile 100, 108 and Blare. I think there will be more days catching from the shore(weather wise) and only a few days from the kayaks. We will be camping at 108 for 10 days over the Dec holidays, hopefully I can get a lift for my Kayaks with a truck to Walvis.
 

Alexbenk

New member
I had a look on Google Earth again. There seems to be a very small bay two km south from Jakkalsputs that may provide some natural shelter. I also seem to remember that right in front of Wlotskabakken on the southern edge of town there are some wooden beams (a bit like the paaltjies structures) in front of which there is quite a deep bay that might work as a launch. Also, when you drive into the camp ground at Mile 14 and turn right (north) there is a shallow bay that is often quite sheltered. But best bet I think would still be Vierkantklip, perhaps at the swimming beach...I've caught plenty of cob in the rocky stretch of beach between the swimming beach and the Vierkant rock itself...if you could get just 200m out I'm convinced you'll find the fish there. Good luck, would be very interested to hear what happens. One thing I wish I had with me when I was there was a light tackle rod with coffee grinder and some really small hooks to go after the steenbras in the super shallow water...you need to have really small hooks for the steenies.
 

Theuns Htbs

New member
Hi guys, sorry I know the topic is probably very outdated, but I'd like to know if anyone maybe know of an option to rent a fishing kayak in Namibia? Im going there next week and also believe that it's just too much drag on the vehicle to justify it, although I cant see myself going there and just be cross with myself for not taking my ski along.
 

Alexbenk

New member
Speak to Naude or Katya Dreyer. They do the 4x4 tours to Sandwhich Harbour and have recently started doing kayak tours. I believe most of their kayaks or the simple sit on top style without rudders, but if anyone will be able to point you in the right direction they will - they're very connected in the local tourism scene. http://www.sandwich-harbour.com/

I've thought about the kayaking thing a bit and always kept my eye on the water while fishing from shore for possible entry points...but I still think the most likely spot is the swimming beach at Vierkantklip between Walvis and Swakop...you need to get through the breakers but they are small and usually "crumble" instead of dump. Problem along the rest of the coast is that the waves have a lot of force and tend to 'dump' very close to shore...so even when it seems flat those first small waves can do serious damage. I have also watched Vierkantklip a lot and one of the problems is that the breaks are quite unpredictable so its difficult to know when you're in safe water beyond the waves. It's going to be tricky, but certainly possible. Some days the water is very calm - that's the time to experiment. Just do yourself a favour and drive to Vierkantklip to watch the water for a hour or so...well before you go there with a kayak. The breaks also change quite a bit as the tide changes...I'd suggest fishing the area from shore for a while, that gives you a chance to see how the breaks change with the tide...and you have a chance to catch dinner.

Sometimes the water is very flat around Dolfyn Strand and other spots closer to Walvis, but I don't think there's much fish there as no one fishes from shore in this area...might get black tail but that's hardly worth the effort. Whereas Vierkantklip is a well known spot for small cob from shore and for the ski-boat fishermen.
 

zulu-X-treme

Sealiner
There seems to be few...

https://www.google.co.za/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&rlz=1C1FLDB_enZA563ZA589&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=hiring%20kayaks%20in%20namibia
 

BulkCarrier

Sealiner
If I remember there might be a few protected launches higher up past henties.

If I am not mistaken I remember a few reefs\points that have rocks on the outside and then an protected bay inside the rocks. I am sure you will pick up a few cob/steenbras in those protected bays.
 

Theuns Htbs

New member
Thanks Alex

Residing at Lang Strand which is right there, watched the water there before and think the conditions are much alike to what we have when launching at Hartenbos mouth...DUMPERS. Not ideal but very doable on a calm day. I'll be in contact with them right away.
 

Alexbenk

New member
There are a few people doing kayak tours on the lagoon. But I'd still suggest talking to Naude as he's a keen and experienced fisherman...so he will probably be able to give you some insight that the other guys will miss out on. You will probably struggle to find a fishing kayak though as everyone rents kayaks for the Walvis Bay lagoon, where the very basic plastic mould kayaks are perfectly adequate.
 

Theuns Htbs

New member
Thank you Zulu, I have also Googled but they are all guided tours on the lagoon and to the seal colonies...and not fishing kayaks. I foresee a problem as there will probably be a high demand for those over the holiday season.

Alex...Im patiently awaiting response from Naude. Thanks for the help all.
 

Alexbenk

New member
Just a quick final word....Naude also does the lagoon tours; so not sure he would be willing to make any of his kayaks available for fishing. Just thought that he'd at least be able to give some advice as I chatted with him about kayak fishing a few months ago and he said it's something he wants to try out in Namibia. Plus even if he can't help he would know if anyone else in the area has kayaks available for fishing.
 

BulkCarrier

Sealiner
Wonder if there are any special lic ? Will prob be classified as fishing from a boat. Isn't there some rule that you may not fish closer than a certain distance from the shore with a boat ?
 

lurock

Senior Member
Tried tested. If the weather plays along you'll catch loada of fish heres a pic of me and my buddy targeting the leeries
 
Top