My FIRST fish on Artificial Lure !!

Homie

Sealiner
[color=#006600]neilg[/color] wrote:
The 100mm is the 35gram version, the smaller one is lighter, don't know how much though

Late last year in ST Francis I used the purple one IN THE DARK (past 12 at night) and still caught elf on it.

take the trebble hook off and put on a normal J-hook.
Works like a dream.
Neil, do you think a circle hook would work as well as a J-hook ?
 

neilg

Sealiner
Homie
that's one of the few things I haven't tried, I can't see how it can't work, but I personally believe you will miss a few fish with a full on circle hook.

The problem is fish take at speed, at you normally have to set the hook, with circles there's none of that, you cannot set the hook, so if the fish turns the hook will just slip out.

What I have done (with great success) is to bend the hooks a little closed, and it works very well.
I have Stainless 16mm Pakula hooks on my Ondas, but the point is very "open", so I lost fish because the elf simply shake it out when you lift them out the water. I then bent the points in, creating a "semi circle" hook and since then that Pakula problem is now gone. Now when a elf takes it he's not getting off that hook. The "hold" is now much better, but I till have the ability to "strike" when a fish takes the lure.
Almost the best of both worlds.
 

SAfish

Sealiner
I think Neilg said that Commercial marine in PE stock them. I think Neilg has a standing order with them for all the purple ones they get in. lol
 

Def-e-nition

Sealiner
What about using something like the guy one psot up ?
a sandworm look-alike - or something similar ?
Not effective from the beach ?
My thinking is that it might imitate something like an occy Leg or something .??

Guys ?
I bought those squid head bucktails - Nada takes so far . Thought a squidhead might slaughter them - I have plenty to learn ....
Also- do any of you lie the Jigs in a normal Bait box for some added scent - or is that just plain silly ?
 

neilg

Sealiner
A little extra scent can't do any harm.

BUT IT SOUNDS JUST PLAIN SILLY because I haven't tried it ... YET
 

RusticRainman

New member
Gent

I will be in Hartenbos sometimes in March 09. I'm in two minds. Will it be the best to take my light stuff or the broom stick.

If I take my light stuff where is the best places to go and have some fun.

What type of fish can I expect to catch.

Regards

RR

 

  

 
 

Def-e-nition

Sealiner
[color=#006600]RusticRainman[/color] wrote:
Gent

I will be in Hartenbos sometimes in March 09. I'm in two minds. Will it be the best to take my light stuff or the broom stick.

If I take my light stuff where is the best places to go and have some fun.

What type of fish can I expect to catch.

Regards

RR

 
hmmm.. Broom stick you have More scope for choice , really , while down here , I would have to say Hartenbos , Diaz , Beneke , and then maybe some places where the water gets deep mucho fast - like umm... off some rocks somewhere .
I am still getting inot this story man , so I have yet to experience Places where jigging works and the guys are standing next to you catching nothing with ten tons of chokka in the water .
This weekkend I am going to try at St francis - this should give me an idea of how effective Plugging will be in deeper water... I'm going to  throw a bait , and then chum the water a little- and then I'll spin from the side where possible . Never been there though . but to get back to yuor question .- March .
Broom you can stand in 40 different places , while plugging is reserved for those area's where there isn't too much foam , if the weather pulles a middle finger on you , you're pretty much screwed ...............too uch foam and you gonne stand there and plug alll day long with no luck .
do what I do - pack in everything .
NOw - you and Neil can deliver some comment on this plug .
WOULD you buy it ????????????????????????????????????????????????
  
Or is it perhaps too dull for you ????
 
 

Attachments

  • 11022009246.jpg
    11022009246.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 58

Def-e-nition

Sealiner
I think It's 5 Oz , Maybe 4 , Not sure again .

Bu tI need something heavier other than Ondes etc .

I sommme gooi a popper like this - or surface lure - with my 14 footer dudo .......

Only K@k Is like on saturday when you Moer the thing off - ek wil Huil man - Zinngggggggggg and there goews your bahhhks , Bru ......   LOL!!!

 

I Think I like the Lures more than the bloody Fish I'm targeting them with do !

umm- can a personuse a plug like this and Not skim it on the surface ???

I think I'm only looking at surface plugs , and I Kind of enjoy the swimming lures as much as these- only nice thing about these , is that they swim obviously very proud in thewater - over rocks and thingies ..

I almost lost the white one saturday on a rock -was swearing about it , until it came loose - ad then i cast it Off3 hours later ........

sigh *

Check these two Beauties Out ............

droool ........

 
 

Attachments

  • 11022009244.jpg
    11022009244.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 56

Def-e-nition

Sealiner
Ok - but between you Or Neil - WOuld you buy de big One Or Not ???
Or would you buy it NOt because it looks good , but simply because you'd like to have it as an alternative to the Onde's , etc ..??

I don't know of anyone else who has one - so for me to buy it , especially as times are so frikkin TIGHT now ( and trust me -they are NOOSE tight ) just to have it , well , it seems , well , you know - awfully "NeilG "ish to me .....Lolololol . Gotta have em all , all of dem Onde's in purple , yes , yes ....my precious ...............

:)
 

SAfish

Sealiner
Def, I would buy the plug. I am sure it will work. I love the surface plugs. It is awesome to see a fish smash your plug on the surface. Maybe a tail this weekend in St Francis?
 

Def-e-nition

Sealiner
I don't Know whether I should put up this next pic .. I reckon Safish is going to do a back flip when he sees what I found ..............

 

a back flip - In purple nogal .....

lol
 

Attachments

  • 12022009249.jpg
    12022009249.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 47

Def-e-nition

Sealiner
Oh - and I bought the silver Plug and a white one , and a ....

No Onde's . they seem too light for me - or am I just a twit ????

 

Yes Herman- It's a pURPLE Onde in 100mm ....... If you want it you'll have to transfer R10 000 into my bank account- I stuck it so far away they'll only find it stock take of 2012 .

 

Neil you reckon those suckers are deadly ?
 

Attachments

  • 12022009250.jpg
    12022009250.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 47
Top