mounting a transducer

DeonF

Member
Hi chaps
I got a handheld fishfindwr for christmas. I know its not the best but it does work.
My question is where is the best place to mount the transducer? I tested it in the fish pond it only works if its in water , I was thinking of mounting it behind the rudder , what are your thoughts ?
 

drkobus

Senior Member
Evo Stick maak Plumbers Mate. Dit is ñ taai putty wat nie droog word nie. Bou hiermee ñ klein dammetjie op die vloer van die kayak. Verkieslik in ñ deel wat jy maklik kan bykom en meeste van die tyd onder die water is. Plaas jou transducer teen die kant van die dammetjie dat hy vassit. Hoef nie op die vloer vas te sit nie. In teendeel dit moet los op die vloer wees. Voor jy see toe gaan, vul die dammetjie met water. Nou werk die transducer perfek.

Ek het alle gomsoorte prober. Na ñ tyd gaan almal los van die bodem en werk dan nie. Kan aan niks vashak nie en is weggesttek. Lesing van water temperatuur nie so goed nie.

Dit is vir my die beste manier. As jy soek op die internet sal jy video daaroor kry. Hoop jy kom reg
 

Pdoooubleu

New member
Whatever you do, I don't recommend mounting the tranducer on the outside of the kayak. Kayaks take hammering and this can easily damage the transducer then the whole unit is worthless. Its better to mount the transducer on the inside of the kayak. It keeps it safe.

You can mount it on the outside but then you have to put everything away when you beach again. Ive seen people use a suction cup to mount the transducer
 

zulu-X-treme

Sealiner
I've been around the 'mountain' w.r.t. glues, epoxies, etc. and all I can say is that SIKA FLEX (the same stuff 'they' use to attach windscreens to car frames) is the ultimate... As for mounting the transducer inside your craft, the only sacrifice is water temperature...

As per inserted photo... 4 years and still going strong. Ignore the debris, I'd just come off the water.
 

Attachments

  • P1130042 (Copy).JPG
    P1130042 (Copy).JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 191

zulu-X-treme

Sealiner
Most defintely... What's nice is that it's flush with the undercarriage, so no issues with damage... Admittedly there is a recess provided in the moulding, which makes the mounting of a transducer that much easier...

This photo depicts the plan I made with silicone, big mistake.
 

Attachments

  • otfarb.jpg
    otfarb.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 157

DeonF

Member
My ski has a flat bottom so that wont work for me un fortunately.
Im planning of mounting the bracket behind the rudder
 

theoldgoat

New member
Hi DeonF, look under section headed "fish finder mounting" from page 2. There is an example of a bracket behind transducer. :kaykak
 

stormchild

Senior Member
I have a pinnacle std with a garmin echo 200. I've mounted my transducer on the outside behind the rudder. I have perfect water temp and echo readings. I launch in the surf, in rocky kelp gullys and in two years I've had no problems. The downside is I had to put an inspection hatch in the rear of the kayak to pull the cable through and mount the transducer bracket. Your other option is to mount it in in your fishbox. With the pinnacle I would have had to cut a hole in the side of fishbox and then glue the transducer to the inside of the hull. But then you do loose the accuracy of your water temp and sound strength. I have a large unit on my boat with a 1kw transducer which work perfect thru the hull, sound quality lost is about 20% but a smaller 200w transducer will loose a lot more of its power, even thru a thin kayak hull. I've made an aluminium "u" shaped bracket, attached it with 2 4mm bolts thru the hull. The transducer is bolted to that, BUT, the transducer can still tilt in the bracket if i push hard on it. Should I strike sand, kelp or something, the movement will stop it from braking out. The transducer is also protected by the rudder as the rudder is far deeper than the transducer , so the risk of hitting the transducer is minimal. I've had many "swimming lessons" in the surf, got separated from the kayak, kayak gets rolled and washed out and all of those fun things, no damage yet. Just make sure when you mount it that it has a clear view / that no part of the rudder moves underneath the transduce. If you want to, I'll send you pics.
 

Pdoooubleu

New member
Stormchild are you sure that the transducer loses that much accuracy through the hull?
I've had mine inside my kayak for a year and a half now and it seems pritty accurate to me. Ive tested ot a few times in the swimming pool to see that it doesnt show things that aren't there.

I know the temperature isnt accurate
 

stormchild

Senior Member
The fact that you've tested it in the pool doesn't mean much. The units we use on the kayaks have plastic transducers and they are designed to work optimal on the outside. It will work mounted inside, but not as good. I've done the experiments on the kayak. see http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=199. You'll also notice that your gain setting is much higher to get the correct detail. My buddy has a garmin unit with the transducer inside. We'll go over the same reef and I'll spot the fish. If there is plenty of fish around he spots it, but the intensity on his unit is far less than on mine. On a bad day, that small spec on the bottom that he miss, puts the fish in my hatch. Countless times he is the one tying up behind me to share the reef.Remember, most of the units we use transmit only 200w thru the transducer. If you loose only 10 percent, you have 180w left. If you fish in 5 meter water it will suffice, but move to 20m water and you'll loose much bottom detail. As I said on the large units with a 1kw transduver if you loose 30%, you have 700w left.
 

theoldgoat

New member
Very interesting Storm Child. I would now rather save up a bit and get a stronger ff as my transducer will also be setup internally.:wfish
 

stormchild

Senior Member
The problem is the larger transducer is also larger in size. The 1kw transducer I've got on the furuno unit is about 10cm in diameter and heavy. Herewith the pics of my mounting. Like I said, is a matter of choice....either you cut a hole inside or outside......but cut you'll have to. Since I had the hull open on the top I used the opportunity to add extra buoyancy in the form of pool noodles
 

Attachments

  • 17012014583.jpg
    17012014583.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 110
Top