Matching rod to reel.

i-fish

New member
Sealiners. I am in the process of purchasing my light and medium rods. I have a BG30 and a BG40 Saltist reels. I have decided on the new WAFT Ironfeather rods. The one is a 2-4oz, and the other a 5-7oz. I would please like some advice/opinions regarding what length rods to get. Must I get them in 14ft or 13ft. I should think the BG30 coupled to a 13ft rod 2-4oz, and the BG40 coupled to the 14ft 5-7oz. Just want to make sure before spending the cash. Thanks in advance.
 

Simen

Sealiner
i-fish wrote:
Sealiners. I am in the process of purchasing my light and medium rods. I have a BG30 and a BG40 Saltist reels. I have decided on the new WAFT Ironfeather rods. The one is a 2-4oz, and the other a 5-7oz. I would please like some advice/opinions regarding what length rods to get. Must I get them in 14ft or 13ft. I should think the BG30 coupled to a 13ft rod 2-4oz, and the BG40 coupled to the 14ft 5-7oz. Just want to make sure before spending the cash. Thanks in advance.

OK leaving all the arguments of, your casting ability, style, what do intend targetting etc etc.

My suggestion - take them both in the same length 14ft, then all is about equal and more balanced.
 

Joker

Senior Member
The question you ask can only be answered by you. What length was your previous rod?

The rods you have chosen, suit the reels. The Ulta-lite will be fantastic with the BG30 and so too the BG40 with the Medium.

Don't be fooled by the cast weight of the Iron Feather. They do box above their weight.

As for the length of the rods, only you can determine what you comfy with.

If the Ultra-lite(2-4)oz is mainly for scratching, the 13' will suffice.

Pity you can't cast the 13' and the 14' to "feel" the difference.
 

i-fish

New member
Thanks for the reply gents. My previous rods were Poseidon 13.6ft .Thats the reason for the confusion. Not sure if I should go with both in the same length or not. I fish mostly the KZN north and south coast. Mostly rocky areas. Ultra light for scratching, and the medium for bigger edibles(longer casts) . Cant believe we complicate things so much.Maybe just me.
 
Top