Light tackle-I'm hooked!

kraken

Senior Member
After years of catching fish on hand line and tunny poles and fishing the surf with broomsticks, the world suddenly seems a brighter place!

I fitted in a little light tackle fishing during the weekend of our recent shore angling league at struisbaai.

To start things off, I got seriously smoked by what we reckon was a bus of a leerie off the harbour wall. Was throwing a small Snapper spoon for elf when I got the pick up which all but spooled me. Fish broke off after I was forced to tighten the drag with a couple of turns of line left on the reel. It was one long non stop run on the surface. Wow!

Then went to De Mond for a couple of hours before going home on Sunday and in an hours fishing, got a leerie and myself and my fishing partner had a bump each. Just before hitting the road, we spotted some grunter tailing in the shallows, but we'll leave those for next time.....

Awesome fun and I won't be surprised if the broomsticks start gathering dust!
 

SAfish

Sealiner
Welcome to the light tackle brigade. De Mond is an awesome place to fish. I cannot remember when was the last time I took the "broomstick" to the water.
 

supatashi

Senior Member
Mooi bru!!

Going to struisies and arnies in a few weeks... definenateli taking the "lighties" with... lol!! 
 

kraken

Senior Member
[color=#006600]SAfish[/color] wrote:
Welcome to the light tackle brigade. De Mond is an awesome place to fish. I cannot remember when was the last time I took the "broomstick" to the water.

Yup! I seem to be frequenting the light tackle section of the tackle stores more and more. All those lures look a damn sight more exciting than 8oz lumps of lead and meat hooks-hahahahaha!

I reckon if we had the estauries you guys have in the Southern cape and up, my shore angling would be getting very rusty.

Anyway, here's to the new learning curve!
 

Walt

Sealiner
I fish every weekend with the poles,but nothing gives me more pleasure than light tackle. Seems the shorter the stick,the more the adrenalin flow.Awesome feeling! But where to fish as it's a travel to most places & although I live at SandVlei,I don't enjoy the high pollution content there & prefer not to fish there as these Leeries are part of a conservation program.So,may be interested in looking elsewhere.Aim to do some light tackle fishing at Breede this month,all going well.
 

SAfish

Sealiner
How does the Hermanus lagoon look like these days? I haven't been there for ages. I guess I am very lucky. My house is about 500m from the Knysna lagoon and I work on Leisure Isle. Easy to make a quick throw after work.
 

kraken

Senior Member
[color=#006600]SAfish[/color] wrote:
How does the Hermanus lagoon look like these days? I haven't been there for ages. I guess I am very lucky. My house is about 500m from the Knysna lagoon and I work on Leisure Isle. Easy to make a quick throw after work.

Ow! Hardcore dude! Don't rub it in..........hehehehehe!

Last time I fished in hermanus lagoon was in 1981 with my uncle. Fishing was quite good with my uncle getting leeries and quite large elf. I had my live bait neatly cut in half by an elf.

However, times have changed and who knows what is happening there these days although I have no doubt the fish are still there.
 

neilg

Sealiner
Welcome to the addiction Kraken

careful with the wallet ... light tackle equipment can quickly become budget heavy ...
 

kraken

Senior Member
[color=#006600]neilg[/color] wrote:
Welcome to the addiction Kraken

careful with the wallet ... light tackle equipment can quickly become budget heavy ...

I see your point, however, I reckon it may be far easier to convince the wife due to the fact that a 7ft spinning rod and reel are alot more user friendly for her than a 14ft HMG yacht mast!

I can include her and my little boy far easier than shore angling. I also reckon that if I were to spend half of what I do on top grade baits, I'll be walking out the store with a sack of decent lures!
 

Def-e-nition

Sealiner
good lord - another convert like myself !!! Those lures are bloody eish though !!!

I could hardly believe it - FIRST time out and I "whack" a ghorrie !!!!!!!!!!!!!! then another !!!

Lololololol Smallest Bloody fish on the planet and I got to be the one to catch it !!!

Ha Ha ha !
 
Top