Leery

RandomBrad

New member
Anyone seen / caught leery lately in the swartkops or surf around PE? 

I know they were thick about 6 weeks ago, but not too sure about now.

RB
 
Hey Brad

Last week friend of mines dad caught a 17kg Yes you read right!

Guess where???

On the left of shark rock pier!

Will post the pic tonight
 

Aldo

New member
Unless those are 500mm x 500mm tiles, that's not close to 17kg's!

That looks more like 10kg's :)

 
 

SUNSHINE

Senior Member
Great catch, SASAA is 10.9kg if you insert the fork length of 100cm..... more or less..

Still a brilliant fish.
 

Aldo

New member
Upcoming Star wrote:
Aldo wrote:
Unless those are 500mm x 500mm tiles, that's not close to 17kg's!

That looks more like 10kg's :)

 

400mm x 400mm

1200mm = close to 17kg

US, I've caught my fair share of leeries this season. I measure most of my fish. A number of them were 1000 to 1280 (largest). Thus I know what they look like.

Remember to measure fork length. If those tiles are 400 x 400, the fork length of that fish should be close to 1000mm. So I stick to plus/minus 10kgs.

Although I have stated in the past that ORI tables for measurement are not always even close, this fish does not look like 17kgs.

I'm not trying to run anyone down. I just don't like small fish that weights too much. :)

 
 

Aldo

New member
Here is a photo of a 18.5kg Leerie shot by PE spearo Evert. This fish was actually weighed to 18.5kg not measured.

My biggest leerie for the season sofar measured 1280mm and did not even look as huge as this one.

 
 

Attachments

  • Evert_18_5_leerie.jpg
    Evert_18_5_leerie.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 265
NO stress Brother

I see what you mean now... It wasn't me that caught it just BTW, my friend prob measured the full length.

NOW THATS A HUGE LEERY YOH!!!

Was it shot in PE???
 

Aldo

New member
Yebo,

That leerie was shot in PE. The photograph was taken at Noordhoek Skiboat club.

I'm not sure how it works with regard to posting of other photos, but I have a few of some really stunning fish.

I just absolutely suck with taking photographs. I need to get a decent waterproof camera so I can take pics of my own fish.

We went out yesterday afternoon after hearing some reports of nice fish at Van Stadens, but blanked with flying colours!

Here is one of a 22kg Leerie shot somewhere in KZN, I think. I'm not sure where I got the photo or who the spearo is, but here goes.

 
 

Attachments

  • 22kg-garrick-robert-barichievy.jpg
    22kg-garrick-robert-barichievy.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 186

Aldo

New member
Hey Sunshine, (that sounds cheesy! :))

I catch and release all my leeries. It's just the pics I've got are mostly shot fish.

You could off course let it go once you've shot and landed it, but it would probably not make it! :)

I've got a soft spot for leeries and should I ever see such a monster underwater, I'm not sure if I would squeeze the trigger. It's actually funny how one's point of view with regard to these things can change.

When I started spearfishing many moons ago, I shot the cr#p out of anything I saw that was big enough to boat. Then for a while I stopped spearfishing and started flyfishing and spinning, releasing most fish. Then once I started to spearfish again, most of the fish I don't even want to shoot anymore. One tends to become very selective after you've learned to release most fish.

Nowa days I rather catch them than shoot them.
 

SUNSHINE

Senior Member
Ha ha..

I used to keep all the fish i caught when i was ALOT younger, used to fish at van stadens in the school holidays.
Stopped fishing for a few years, then wanted to start again about two years ago and started searching the net for tips and found Sealine.

I must say this site has educated me in a big way, now i release everything i catch. Must say its an amazing feeling when that fish swims awaay.

Tight Lines.....
 
Top