:kaykak Hey guys... After hi-jacking Mad Mikes th

Mooch

New member
:kaykak Hey guys... After hi-jacking Mad Mikes thread for a few yrs now, I thought I'd start up my own thread. I'll post all the happenings and the latest plus greatest of Moochie-Boys adventures. Please feel free to drop a message should you wish to find out info, and I'll be glad to assist where I can. I'll keep you guys updated with all the latest, as they happen. By the way, my real name is Marcel... But you can call me Mooch... Enjoy...
 

Mooch

New member
Ok... So now I wanna fish the harbour.. Durban Harbour... I have fished the harbour off a ski boat in the past, but both the skipper and the crew were novices to say the least, so we didn't have much luck. I hear that there are monster grunter there, and also a few other species to be had, to those in the know. Which brings me to the question... Where are these fish? The reason I'm asking, is because the harbour is a huge place, and paddling from one spot to the next is probably gonna be a mission. I remember that getting from one spot to the next with the ski boat was a trek!! So paddling there is gonna be a mission!! Anybody know of any spots? Are there restricted areas in the harbour? What sort of tackle would I need and what bait works there? I also know that there are huge sharks lurking in those waters... but i'll try not think about that for now.. I just want to fish something different, and the harbour now seems like a nice place to venture out to. I have a Ports Disc, so I'm good to go...
 

plonker

Member
Hi, the grunters feed on the crackers on the sand banks in between the shipping lanes. So that would be a good place to start.
 

Mooch

New member
Thanks Plonker! Wow.. my first tip. Thanks so much.. I'm gonna give it a try... But... Do I need a license or something for crackers?
 

yosarrin

New member
Hi Mooch
Remember you must have the yellow Portnet disc as well-if you are member of Durban Paddles Ski club you can get it from one of the committee members early Sat or Sun morning-otherwise contact Johnny direct

Fish on the drop off either side of the main sandbank-with one stick use a small running sinker and cracker and on a second stick use just a drift, simply with a power swivel, no sinker, also cracker.

cheers
Derek
 

shiv17

Member
Howzit Mooch

I would go with Dereks recommended traces with live cracker. you can fish lightish (12lb tackle) would be fun for those grunter. Centre bank can be fished on incoming tide also the coal bunkers are a good spot. you can also try trolling small yozuri lures for pickhandles and kingies. throwing a small popper also works. Just dont eat those fish you catch.
 

plonker

Member
Mooch, So when you going fishing in the harbour?
I'm going to try on Sunday.
Going to try catch Grunter on lure, just one of my things to do on my bucket list.
 

Mooch

New member
Hey guys.. Thanks for all the advice! Just a question... Why shouldn't I eat any of the fish I catch in the harbor? Is the harbor that bad now? I haven't been there years!

I was on my way to the harbor on sunday, but decided to see what Virginia Beach looked like. It was too tempting, and I ended up launching there...

I pulled plastics.. I pulled snoek traces... I jigged... I did a bit of bottoms... Nothing but undersized shad and sand soldiers. I think my next trip will be back at Vetchies.. I kinda have a soft spot for that place!! :sf:::

Any catches from the weekend? How was your fishing guys?
 

Attachments

  • IMG-20150827-WA012.jpg
    IMG-20150827-WA012.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 554

shiv17

Member
Only a pleasure.
The quality of the harbour water is very very poor. Lots of mercury in the water as well as the fish. Tests have been done on some grunter and they had a high mercury content.
Good fun for catch and release thou. I ate a grunter from the harbour not long ago and the taste is not the same as the ocean caught ones.
Havnt fished in who knows how long.
 

yosarrin

New member
Previous weekend (22 August) out of Umkomaas myself and a mate got a 12kg dorado and a 18kg YFT-both on a live mackerel, both down rigged with a 4 ounce sinker, slow to medium pace trawl. This past weekend was a bit quiet at Warner Beach-lots of small shad-my mate got a 3 kg bonnie on a daisy chain, but that was it-no sign of snoek.
 

thyssmit

New member
Hi all, i will be going to Scottburgh from nextweek this time and wandering how is kayak/ski fising there and if any of you had any luck before and where do go an how deep etc.

thx
 

shiv17

Member
Not sure about the area.
Contact Mick Clark "codfather" from the area and I am sure he would gladly assist. His website is www.kayakfishingsa.co.za or 072 938 1769
 

Mooch

New member
Hey Guys.. After a long stretch with my faithful supalite, I finally found the heart to let her go and upgrade to an EVO465... Woo Hoo.. Marcie's adventures on the water might just get a little bit more interesting now... lol
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20151112_213445.jpg
    IMG_20151112_213445.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 417

shiv17

Member
She looks great Mooch! Have you taken her out yet?
I just fetches my supalite x yesterday. My 1st ski. Cant wait to take her out. Ive been in the pool practicing bailing and getting back on.
 

Mooch

New member
Shiv17... why don't you pop around Vetchies this weekend? Maybe we could both go out for an early morning paddle? I got a Comp on Sunday, but I might launch on Sat, just to get my bearings right again, and see what's biting where..
:D:fishn:ifishin
 

Mooch

New member
Ok... where do I start... ok since I got my new ski, i've upped my game... BIG TIME!! My first launch was Vetchies, after that it was Umhloti, then then was Westbrook and then Vetchies again.

The Umhloti launch was a mess up! I tried 5 times to launch there but the shorebreak was monstorous to say the least. After the final attempt, I got dumped by a huge 2m+ shorie. I battled to get behind the ski, but unfortunately I couldn't and the ski crashed on top of me... buggering up my back and my new ski. First crack... done! Lol

The Westbrook launch wasn't any easier tho! I started off the launch with about 5 guys, but in the end it was just me and a very good mate named Duncan left. Duncan stayed behind cos he could see that after 3 full out desperate attempts, this was looking like an Umhloti No2 launch attempt! So he calmed me down... got my breathing right and persuaded me to try one last time. 2 new cracks, small busted seam and all... I went for it. I paddled harder than I have ever paddled! I flew over a 3m+ backline wave that was about to break on top of me and probably squash the rest of my fishing trip.. and probably the rest of my ski!!!

I got out! Wow... thanks to Duncan I got out! I turned around to check for Duncan. I was prepared to paddle back to shore to help him if he was in trouble. But... there he sliced through the backline with his Ferrari of the sea... his Profisha 575!

I paddled hard that whole day... pulling 2 plastics.. a 150 floating and a 160 5m diving... those lures broke me that day, but I loved every minute of it! I didn't get any pulls, but got to fish with some of the best in the business... and to me, that was better than having a hatch full of fish...
 

shiv17

Member
Thanks for the update Mooch.The way you told the story made me feel like i was there. Big ups on not giving up and giving it your all. Unfortunately i didnt get to launch this holidays, but there are always weekends and workday mornings lol
 

Mooch

New member
Ok where do I start... lol.. ok today I tried a new venue. I went to Eastmoore. I've always heard stories about Eastmoore, so I figured i'd give it a shot, and see what the hype is all about... so I get there around 3:45am.. it's still pitch black, but already there's 3 cars in the parking lot!! So I unload and blah... blah... blah...

Ok... now i'm at the waters edge. Sun is about to rise. Without any warning or saying a word, 2 guys go in full throttle. Balls to the wall!! Then another 3 go... then the dude next to me goes.. it now feels like we are buffalo trying to cross a Croc infested river... so... seeing the guy next to me shoot off, I decide that it's time I launched too. Now those that follow my stories know how much I hate shories! But this time I timed it perfect and boom... i'm in the midbreak! Now I've learnt from past experiences to wait in the midbreak, find a gap and then go for it. But... the frenzy is on and the guys are drag racing towards the backline, so I go. . It's Pinnacle Elite vs EVO465. I give him big hiding on take off but I stop just before the backline monsters (yes I know what you're thinkin now) schoolboy mistake... but i'm not used to just going all out without timing the waves. Pinnacle flies past me.. I go for it. Monster wave forming. I slice through 3 waves and 2 foamies. No prob. No this monster wave is still forming. The pinnacle is about 5m ahead of me. Steaming off! We get to the last wave.. the monster that was forming. The pinnacle makes it over by the skin on his teeth. (i'm 5m behind remember!!) the monster crushes on top of me... it's carnage.. ski flies I fly.. but now I know that i Gotta get onto the ocean side so that the ski doesn't klap me. I dive under the upside down ski... just in time too. Another monster drags the ski away. I got my paddle and make my way to shore.

Ok.. round 2 comprised of a foamie knocking me off my seat and yet another swim. Now i'm exhausted, so I wait on the shore for about 45min. Big mistake. The tide sort of turns and a huge shorie develops. Ahhh... here we go again.. I launch.. I get over the shorie and disaster strikes.. my left foot peddle comes out. Sitting duck.. I jump off and let the ski go. BOOM it crashes onto the sand. I sort the peddle out and rush off into the surf. Somehow the strong backwash pulls me sideways. I Actually get over the shorie SIDEWAYS!! Backwash is really strong and pulls the back of my ski, so now it looks like I'm beaching the ski! Lol! I paddle to shore and call it a day. Next time Eastmoore... next time!!!
 

StuckOnDaRocks

Senior Member
Marcel - I took you out a couple times a few years ago at Beachwood which is just as difficult, if not more so than Eastmoore. Definitely a more difficult launch than Umhloti. Bud, ask the guys on the beach before launching for help. The last thing we want is for you to get hurt. The papers hear about it and so do the authorities and before you know it we will be facing restricted launch zones.

3m waves are surely an exaggeration as I in all my years of paddling I don't think I've come close to launching 3m waves. I've launched salt rock during the comps when it's really massive and at cape Vidal. 3m waves will send you home shitting in your pants.

Be careful of the shore break and when you decide to go for the gap...go for it all out. Do not hesitate. Just paddle as hard as you can.

After many years of launching, now and again the shorty gets me. Don't think I have fallen off in the mid or back line in nearly 2 years - paddling almost weekly. I take a swim coming in probably 50% of the time.

Be careful bud. Most guys will be happy to help, I always help. And have pushed dozens of guys through the shore break. Just ask.

Keep the updates coming. Look forward to seeing some pics of your first big fish.

Cheers
SoTR
 
Top