Kayak Seats

RobG

Senior Member
So after some convincing my wife agreed to the Fluid Synergy because we can go for a paddle together now and again etc. I have been trying to convince her for a while about the whole kayak thing...we all know I just want a fishing platform but thats besides the point.

So after shopping around I managed to get the boat and two paddles for R6200......fine

What I dont understand is how they can charge over R500 for a piece of foam with a few straps attached that they call a seat. Its not a case of not having the extra but more a case of R1000 for two seats!!!!

At Sportmans warehouse for R500 you can buy a camping chair that can take 150kg's and has a built in cool box! For R1000 I can buy a lounge chair....follow my train of thought?

Has anybody done a DIY job on these chairs because damn that steep?

 

 

 

 

 
 

Jannus.

Member
Hi Robg I haven't done this but maybe a pillow like the ones you'd use on an outside chair would work as a back rest. Your right 1000 bucks for a foam seat is a waste. The synergy's seats are fine without the extra foam thing. I've only used my synergy once so far but we paddled about 2 ks and it's comfortable enough. The seats are a luxury but in my opinion unnecessary
 

oomfaan

Senior Member
ThefishinMagician wrote:
Chock Nel would have loved this post.
Moenie spot nie! I've also thought about making one, but I have found that when I'm out on the water for very long I don't sit in the seat, but behind it with my one leg curled up in the seat. I find this position very comfortable and a backrest would just be in the way.
 

subaruseun

Sealiner
i need to make one this summer for my pinnacle... 8 hours on the water aint sweet on the back... 6hours max! then backrests would be the new sliced bread.
 

zulu-X-treme

Sealiner
This isn't an entirely bad idea, it's just you would have to consider your launching and return conditions... Having this hard plastic chair cut your head open won't be cool...
 

Attachments

  • Detachable_seat_on_top_of_fishing_kayak_saddle_TX.jpg
    Detachable_seat_on_top_of_fishing_kayak_saddle_TX.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 339

zulu-X-treme

Sealiner
Here's another... You could lace some thick PVC Banner material onto the the frame, but again it's not surf friendly...

http://www.instructables.com/id/ADAPTIVE-SEAT-FIXTURE-FOR-KAYAKING/
 

Attachments

  • F7H6VONGH8XYNEP_MEDIUM.jpg
    F7H6VONGH8XYNEP_MEDIUM.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 338

zulu-X-treme

Sealiner
This is more like it...

http://www.noile.net/2008/05/diy-kayak-seat-modification/

http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Wshophtm/kayakseat18a.htm

http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Wshophtm/kayakseat18b.htm
 

zulu-X-treme

Sealiner
You could build 2 boxes out of plywood to the rough size of your seat and backrest. Fit hinges, clips, straps, etc. and then fill the boxes with some buoyancy foam (2 part mix used in Ski-Boats). Use vaseline or PVA Release to stop the wood from adhering. Afterward you could just sand the 2 blocks to the desired shape and then you could glue on PVC or paint the seat.
 

Attachments

  • Rough ides (Copy).jpg
    Rough ides (Copy).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 333

steve r

New member
How about a weight lifting kidney belt? Can attach it to the side handles of the ski? Just need to put some clips on the ends. R269 from sportsmans...
 

oomfaan

Senior Member
steve r wrote:
How about a weight lifting kidney belt? Can attach it to the side handles of the ski? Just need to put some clips on the ends. R269 from sportsmans...
Can't see why it could not work as long as the buckles and material can handle the salt water.
 

bejai

New member
I'm sorry bud ^^.. I was just so excited when I got my new ski and posted it to most paddle ski rooms to show a walk around my ski, it's not a spam, just me showing off my video making skills
 
Top