Kayak Anchors

Predator_828

New member
Howzit mishfan - Here those pics.

Start off with your anchor, you going to need.

• 0,7 or 1.5kg grapnel anchor.
• 2 x Galvanized shackles
• 1m of 5mm galvanized chain (I like the 5mm chain cause it doesn't clank to loud.)

Attach you chain to the bottom shackle and rig to trip as shown in the photo. This way, if you get stuck you simply give the rope a decent tug, the cable tie breaks and you pull the anchor out from the bottom.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0227.JPG
    DSC_0227.JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 144

Predator_828

New member
Next the float.... You'll need...

• A length of pool noodle
• Equal length of PVC Pipe
• Some rope, I use a 15m length of braided tow rope, I seldom fish more than 5m of water though.

Cut a length of pool noodle, run the PVC through and then run one end of the rope through and tie a surgeons loop. Then start winding from the opposite end.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0229.JPG
    DSC_0229.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 143

Predator_828

New member
Finally the quick release shock line. For this:

• 2 Carabiners
• 1m of decent diameter bungee I used 5mm

Rig it up as shown in the photo, you release the desired amount of line then clip the line to the surgeons loop so it can't release any more. Finally clip the other end to your anchor trolley and toss it overboard!

Hope it helps! Feel free to ask if you need more help setting it up.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0232.JPG
    DSC_0232.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 146

Mishfan

New member
Thanks Predator_828 I did some shopping today. Managed to get the pulleys, snap shackles, D ring, anchor ,chain, bungee cord and rope. I think all I'm missing is the pool noodle...the rope I got from builders. Its called sash rope (cotton). It looks more hard wearing than nylon rope, hope I'm not wrong. I'll try to post some pics when I'm done
 

Predator_828

New member
Mishfan wrote:
Thanks Predator_828 I did some shopping today. Managed to get the pulleys, snap shackles, D ring, anchor ,chain, bungee cord and rope. I think all I'm missing is the pool noodle...the rope I got from builders. Its called sash rope (cotton). It looks more hard wearing than nylon rope, hope I'm not wrong. I'll try to post some pics when I'm done
Awesome news! Good luck with it!
 

Garthee

New member
Hi Guys just wanted to say a big thanks for all the info you guys put on the forum about the anchors, I sorted mine and my Dads out this weekend and worked like a bomb.

Cheers((goodp_
 

Predator_828

New member
Garthee wrote:
Hi Guys just wanted to say a big thanks for all the info you guys put on the forum about the anchors, I sorted mine and my Dads out this weekend and worked like a bomb.

Cheers((goodp_
Good to hear this thread has helped you! ::tight:


This thread is pretty much maxed with information but just in case anyone wants to know, seaport marine in Cape Town has 1kg bruce anchors in stock. I got one because my grapnel was slipping in sand. It holds quickly and stays put in strong currents. Even when the wind picks up.

Had mine about a month and it hasn't slipped once in mud or sand. Even rocky bottoms.
 
Top