Jongensfontein

Neal

Good Day All
Ill be heading to Jongensfontein on the 1st of March for the weekend. Don't know the Area at all so any help you guys can give me will be much appreciated.

Thanks you in Advance

OvaR8ed

Sealiner
I'm heading that way in a couple of hours for this weekend (Full Moon Spring Tide, Yeah!) and I can't wait anymore!

You'll be there over a Neap Tide which isn't really my favorite, but I'll choose a neap in Jongensfontein over a spring tide in Cape Town anyday...

You can fish right there in Jongens but I would suggest to take a walk along the coast so you can target less exploited waters in stead.

Coast Towards Stilbaai:
The first 900m or so you can drive along a gravel road presented with small sandy bays framed by rocky points. When you get to the parking lot by the boom you'll have to proceed on foot so pack light.

From here it is a 4km stretch of uninterrupted rock, some with some nice deep drop-offs and some where you can clearly see a shallow sandbank within casting distance.

This stretch is especially nice for scratching, but you get your Predators as well. In the middle between Jongens and Stilbaai is Masterstok Strand, beautiful little beach framed by two rocky points. Nice shallow sand bank in the middle and rip currents either side. Sometimes a nice deep channel also forms right up against your feet.

Coast towards Heuningnes Baai:
On the other side of Jongens is a long stretch of rocks that I've only been on once or twice targeting Gallies. Very nice structure for scratching.

Good luck and take plenty of pics of bait presentations, working water, fish, etc for the report!

Neal

Thanks OvaR8ed,much appreciated boet,looks like your report will come before mine.
@Sweis, we a group of guys that will be goimg so anything from Sharks,Elf,Cob and also some gallie spots for the "ballies" that you know off boet.

Thanks

Sweis

Sharks and Cob I'll go around to Still bay side - place called Preekstoel. Lotsa action over the December past - high and low tide. In Jongensfontein to the righthand side past the tidal pool you'll get a gravel road (tar becomes gravel) - continue till the end you'll see a bay. Cast from high rocks on left hand side - BIG trains! Gallies from the rocks next to that same gravel road.
Elf - when you stand in front of the '3 Pikkewyne' shop looking at the sea - to your right you'll see the road make a bend - in that bend..place called 'paaltjie' you'll see it - early morning as in 04:30 to 05:30.
In Jongensfontein to the left hand side there is a little piece of sand - 'Sandstrand' - Elf, Cob, Sharks, but you need to know the place to know when the water is right. Drive further on until the road ends - walk about 100 meters and you'll see a high flat rock called 'Tafeltjie' - Elf and Cob. Further on along the rocks - gallies.

Sweis

Sharks and Cob I'll go around to Still bay side - place called Preekstoel. Lotsa action over the December past - high and low tide. In Jongensfontein to the righthand side past the tidal pool you'll get a gravel road (tar becomes gravel) - continue till the end you'll see a bay. Cast from high rocks on left hand side - BIG trains! Gallies from the rocks next to that same gravel road.
Elf - when you stand in front of the '3 Pikkewyne' shop looking at the sea - to your right you'll see the road make a bend - in that bend..place called 'paaltjie' you'll see it - early morning as in 04:30 to 05:30.
In Jongensfontein to the left hand side there is a little piece of sand - 'Sandstrand' - Elf, Cob, Sharks, but you need to know the place to know when the water is right. Drive further on until the road ends - walk about 100 meters and you'll see a high flat rock called 'Tafeltjie' - Elf and Cob. Further on along the rocks - gallies.

Sweis

Sweis

Neal

Thanks Sweis,will definitely check it out,ill be leaving on friday morning at 4am so will give a full report on my return,hopefully the weather will play along nicely.

OveR8ed,seeing that you were there this weekend...how did the weekend go boet

Neal

Guys,thank you very much for your input.....much appreciated,Leaving Friday morning at 4am and with all the info I just can't wait to go.

GFM,what's the choice of bait in that Area.

OveR8ed,hope you okay dude,still waiting on your report.....
Unlesssss.....you still busy cleaning your fish
:wfish

OvaR8ed

Sealiner
Neal wrote:
Guys,thank you very much for your input.....much appreciated,Leaving Friday morning at 4am and with all the info I just can't wait to go.

I stuck to Stilbaai but the weekend was way too short...

I tried the river on saturday, but the fish were biting very skelm, moved to preekstoel over high to try for a steenie, but the water was too strong on the sand plaatjies and I think the currents put the fish off the bite.

Sunday I put the boat on the river again and landed 3 grunters (45-50cm range) which I cleaned and put straight on the braai.

All in all a good weekend, but not really report worthy..

Attachments

• IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 565

OvaR8ed

Sealiner
OvaR8ed wrote:
Neal wrote:

I stuck to Stilbaai but the weekend was way too short...

I tried the river on saturday, but the fish were biting very skelm, moved to preekstoel over high to try for a steenie, but the water was too strong on the sand plaatjies and I think the currents put the fish off the bite.

Sunday I put the boat on the river again and landed 3 grunters (45-50cm range) which I cleaned and put straight on the braai.

All in all a good weekend, but not really report worthy..

Attachments

• 20130224_113049-1.jpg
    20130224_113049-1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 563

Neal

Well done Boet,according to Shawn its happening there so I hope the conditions will stay the same by the time I get there....where can I throw for" Livies"

OvaR8ed

Sealiner
Neal wrote:
Well done Boet,according to Shawn its happening there so I hope the conditions will stay the same by the time I get there....where can I throw for" Livies"

The river is full of haarders, just take a slow stroll with your net and polarized glasses anywhere along the river and you are bound to see a shoal in no time...

You can get streepies and gorries at the harbour wall with a #10 hook and chum...

OvaR8ed

Sealiner
Just watch out, there are lots of baby kob in the area that can be mistaken for suitable livies if you don't look carefully.

They are probably no good to use as livies anyways since they give up and die pretty quick. When you catch them by accident and don't get them back to the water quick enough it's belly up...

Monty123

Hi guys, i'll be at the Jongens caravan park from Mar 24th and looking forward to hooking some cob and elf. Sandstrand and Tafeltjie sound inviting. Never been there before. Any tips on bait etc??