Jet popper

iggy

Sealiner
Need some help with a trace for my Jet popper surface lure. I'll be fishing from my kayak. Sl50 and penn49. Will be doing jigging,trolling,live bait trace. My question is, what kind of trace should I use for the popper, it's 2oz and I have a 6ft Elbe rod, sl50 .55mm and .90 leader. I don't want to loose my popper as it's a bit pricy. Do I use a short length of coated wire tied to a power swivel and then to my leader? Remember the rod is only 6 ft so can't use a too long trace! Any advice please guys!
 

Attachments

  • Jet Popper.JPG
    Jet Popper.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 225

Dingleberry

Senior Member
I have caught GT's from a kayak with a popper. Not casting though. I would let out about 300m of line out over a reef, stop and then reel in as fast as I could. I don't think you'll normally be able to get the casting distance and action from the seated position - unless of course the fish are going beserk and are right around you. The good news is that I found it quite effective in covering large areas quickly. I don't rectum that a wire leader is necessary as couta and their toothy pals don't take that often at the surface. You can up your leader though - 1.4mm + wouldn't be unreasonable on that size lure.
 

iggy

Sealiner
Dingleberry wrote:
I have caught GT's from a kayak with a popper. Not casting though. I would let out about 300m of line out over a reef, stop and then reel in as fast as I could. I don't think you'll normally be able to get the casting distance and action from the seated position - unless of course the fish are going beserk and are right around you. The good news is that I found it quite effective in covering large areas quickly. I don't rectum that a wire leader is necessary as couta and their toothy pals don't take that often at the surface. You can up your leader though - 1.4mm + wouldn't be unreasonable on that size lure.
Thx for the reply. Good idea to just let out 300m of line and makes sence that you would be able to cover big areas. Will up leader, how long leader you reckon?
 

Gerhard

Sealiner
I replaced the 2 trebles with a single 9/0 and plan to go casting on the north coast later today or tomorrow...
 

Bux

Senior Member
The barracuda here isnt shy of grabbing at a popper and I use a 15 cm coated wire as insurance on all my roosta poppers and jet poppers without it making much of a difference in the action. but then again it could be the reason that fish dont go for my lures untill it gets a little darker.
 

Dingleberry

Senior Member
If you're going to fish it by laying out line and then retrieving, you could make it as long as you like. The only issues with making heavy gauge leaders long is the knot size and how it passes through the guides when casting. My casting rods don't have big tip guides so I prefer to use short leaders when casting so that the knot is forward of the tip guide - just experienced too many breakoffs with Ondas etc. using longer leaders.
 

iggy

Sealiner
Gerhard, the trebles will be replaced with 2x circle hooks.

Bux, thats why I asked if I should use steel trace,might get fewer hookups like you said,so will be going for 1.4mm leader.

Dingleberry, I'll only be fishing from the kayak, so no casting really. My kayak rods have big end tips guides but only 6ft long, so may go for a 3m 1.4mm leader.

Tight lines all.:fishn
 

Gerhard

Sealiner
The wind was pumping yesterday and I could not get the popper far enough but I cant wait to get on the water.

Tight lines Iggy
 

iggy

Sealiner
Gerhard wrote:
The wind was pumping yesterday and I could not get the popper far enough but I cant wait to get on the water.

Tight lines Iggy
Keep me posted on the success of the popper please...Can't wait to have a go myself.
 
the only problem with putting wire on your popper is if the water is really clean it will affect the amount of takes you get ...if the water is a bit dirty then use steel otherwise rather use a 1 - 1,5 florocarbon leader...even with a steel trace you have a chance of getting cut off...cause soon as go hit a kingi or gt the go straight for the reef ...so the chances of getting bitten off compaired to cut off is minimal...
 

iggy

Sealiner
Mussle Cracker wrote:
the only problem with putting wire on your popper is if the water is really clean it will affect the amount of takes you get ...if the water is a bit dirty then use steel otherwise rather use a 1 - 1,5 florocarbon leader...even with a steel trace you have a chance of getting cut off...cause soon as go hit a kingi or gt the go straight for the reef ...so the chances of getting bitten off compaired to cut off is minimal...
Thx, for the reply, I'll rather go for florocarbon leader then, Would it be okay to join 1.5 leader to .55 mainline,and what knot would be best, or should I just go the easy way and use a power swivel?
 
Top