Is catch and release a piped dream or are people actually changing

schutte

New member
Before any one says here goes another tree hugger types who does not understand fishing, i have been fishing for many years and the topic I'm addressing in the mass murder of fish for photos like you use to see where people let nothing go to fight another day, don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with keeping some of your catch for the pot and its a hell of a lot more exciting then shopping for I and J at spar, but i think as a avid fisherman and passionate about fishing it is our duty to conserve our fish stocks and populations for all generations to enjoy, What are your thoughts on this guys?
 

couta-koppie

Senior Member
schutte you are right on the sweet spot mate. I release my fish, even if it is nice and big. No better feeling in the world. Don't get me wrong, I do eat fish. Love it! So whenever I get the urge for some fish I'll leave my dropshot gear and go target some edibles. And I would not keep more than what me and my wife is gona eat. Nothing beats a fresh fish mate.

Back to the point I think dropshoting, flyfishing and spinning is the answer to the future. Get the kids involved guys.  Kids love dropshotting and dropshotting is mainly a catch and release sport. This will give them the right idea I'm sure. Or at least I hope so.

My 2c
 

AndriesH

Sealiner
Since the advent of Sealine and other similar initiatives, I believe tens of thousands of fish have been released to fight another day. IMO they would have suffered a fairly useless death if it weren't for the awareness that has been created.
 

neilg

Sealiner
Was at "Blougat" yesterday, released 4 or 5 stumpies and a few blacktail, should have seen how the locals looked at me
 

tauruck

Sealiner
Hard one, I like to release but I like to chow fish.

I only ever kept one Shad for chow even though I caught my limit.

Dorado and YFT are my two favourites and they will go back no matter what (when I eventually get them).
 
Guys are getting more involved in tag and release. Tagging is a great way of keeping account of your fish and I tag fish because getting a recapture would be more exciting than filling the freezer. So I tag as many fish as I can. Even some of the tastiest fish.
 

Attachments

  • P2120009.jpg
    P2120009.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 178
Very easy actually. Just get hold of ORI and tell them you want to get involved in the tagging program. They will send you a form which you fill out and return to them. Then they give you a call to tell you when your tagging kit is ready. Collect and pay. You only pay for the initial kit and never again. I've been tagging now for a few months.


It can all be done by email.

Oceanographic Research Institute
Po Box 10712
Marine Parade
Durban
4056
SOUTH AFRICA
Tel: 031-3288222
Fax: 031-3288188
e-mail: ori@saambr.org.za
 

neilg

Sealiner
Upcoming Star wrote:
Hey neil, any elf coming out that side?

Was there as the sun came up, I left at about 11:00 I think, in that time not even one elf. But must say it was around low tide.

I still believe (and will always) that the best elf catches are around high tide.

Caught some nice Stumpies and a few Blacktail.
 

Carlos Moran

Sealiner
There is nothing wrong with keeping fish to eat and even giving a few to mates that dont fish,as long as you know witch fish are fast growing,endagered etc.Fish like Shad,Dorado,Couta etc are fine to keep a few to eat FRESH,not filling freezers.
Normally,your pelagics are faster growers and resident fish like Poenskop,Cracker,Rock Kods etc should all be released.Even Blacktail and Hotties take ages to reach sexual maturaty.
In my opinion all the fishing shows are doing a great job of spreading the catch and release code.Well done to them.
Rather keep fish that are just size to eat and release the biggies,smaller fish taste way better anyway
My 2 c
 

schutte

New member
As I said in the beginning there is nothing wrong with keeping one or 2 for the pot but i dont know about you the thrill of fishing for me is the fight and then finally seeing the worthy adversary swim off knowing he has done his bit, but still to often i am saddened by fish being killed and not let go and photos of there bodies stacked up for a photo or 2, that for me is the issue, its issues like these that see garrick under threat for they are not really targeted but commercial fishermen but there plight is caused by us fishermen.
 

JFE

Senior Member
I believe that this is a question of personal believe. Someone fishing for recreation vs. someone feeding his family.
We as normal recreational fisherman do not gain anything from filling our freezers. A nice picture and a good story told does way better next to the braai.
 :fst:

I've been taught from birth you do not take from nature more than you and your immediate family can consume - same goes for hunting. Why not keep one or maybe two "pan size" but your really do not need 7 - 15 to feed a family of 4. (exept sardine maybe :spite)
 

schutte

New member
I Agree, there is a place for subsistence fishing but i was confronted with this issue on the Vaal not 2 months ago when mates and i were fly fishing and there were w couple of gents fishing with bait and they were catching well i mean about 6 fish in about half an hour and all 6 (including 2 largies) ended up on the back of the bakkie and left to suffocate that hurts.
 

basstacle4see

New member
I may get shot or burned in public, but not living next to the coast/far from my favourite fishing grounds, and enjoying fish as table fair, I do keep the odd 2-3 fish to take back home. I'm sure my hand-full-off fish from a spot once a year won't kill the species. I must say though, I do keep selectively...not to big, not to small. Mostly i do practise catch & release and some catch & deepfreeze!:fbash
 

neilg

Sealiner
If you want to keep fish then you do so, it's your right

if you not gonna eat it or use it as bait then put it back.
 
Top