I was given these to try out. Anybody used them be

wp34

Sealiner
I was given these to try out. Anybody used them before and what did you catch??
 

Attachments

  • sea iron2.JPG
    sea iron2.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 554

tintin1

New member
There are a few differences between the Hopkins and that spoon.  However, both are stainless steel, and you fish them the same way.

I've used them here in WA and they are versatile spoons.  There are two retrieves I really like with these spoons.  The first is the "flutter".  The shape allows you to cast them out on a tight line and hold them to sink.  They will do that with a flutter, and because of the line, will appear to be swimming slowly shorewards.  When you start to crank, look out for the hits. Try that in a pool to see what I mean.   

Naturally, you can also crank them just under the surface.

 

I don't like the heavy hardware that comes with the spoons - but they are worth upgrading with your own hooks and rings. 

I make the rings with #7 single-strand.

I dress them with hooks in two ways - if I'm in deep water and looking to search (by fluttering) I will have a single white or white/chartreause bucktail on about a 7/0. 

If I am searching shallower water I will keep it near the surface, and two red Dai-Ichi 4/0 or 5/0 hooks facing each other (points out) allows a bit more of a "flick" in the action.  I think the red helps too.

 
 

wp34

Sealiner
They "vibrate" when you retrieve them fast. Nice action, cant wait for the elf to arrive!^^..
 

ivanlogg

New member
Hi guys,

There are subtle differences between the original Hopkins and the Sea Iron, the edges are a lot more sharper and the spoon is slightly broader. Biggest difference would be the dimpled finishish which I believe helps with the vibrating action which is felt, especially felt when fishing with braided line. The vibration is a good indication that the lure is swimming well which normally is achieved with a slow to medium retrieve. Letting the lure "flutter" down at the end of your cast is an extremely effective method provided you have enough water depth to work with. Another method recommended for the days when the fish are wanting something different is to reverse rig the spoon ie narrow side forward , this changes the whole action of the lure to a more dartier effect. As with most spoons it is always a good idea to on a fast retrieve to try and skip the spoon on the surface, this will work well with all of the Sea Irons ( 1/2, 1, 2 ) but except the 3 ounce which will take a lot of effort as it is the heaviest of the range and is broad so it holds the water well, nice for windy days when you need to keep your spoon down. All the Sea Iron products have Dennis Swannell's spring stainless steel fittings, which I have found to be the best option for rigging the products, they are strong and keep their shape. They are a bit on the heavy side but rather that than on the lighter side. Rigging the spoon with a single hook and bucktail is a great idea, always keep a couple single hooks with bucktail spare as the elf destroy bucktail but they love it.
 

Loams

Sealiner
Loams wrote:
I wish someone would give me some tackle lol
One should be careful what one wishes for.... I received a couple of Sea Irons yesterday.... Now I just need a sardine run and an ocean.......

You know who you are sir! Thank you very much
 

Carlos Moran

Sealiner
Heres some catches made with the Sea Iron "hopkins"
Ive been using the 2ounce as a teaser for Dorries,works like a charm,gets them really fired up!
 

Attachments

  • IMGP0634.JPG
    IMGP0634.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 263
Top