I noticed while reading through the vast number of

Reaper002

New member
I noticed while reading through the vast number of pages (cause i want to learn how to improve on my fishing) no one uses Pike as a bait.

Is there a particular reason why?

 

Also Can I use frozen mullet in the absence of sized liveys?
 

JJ Pienaar

Sealiner
First off all what are u targeting . . . . Why use pike if u got so many other baits u can use. . . Sard, shad, sarda sarda, kawa kawa, streepie aka karenteen, kolstert aka blacktail ect. . .

Frozent mullet is a good bait especialy the head as it very oily. . . . But nothing beats a live bait
 

Cuthbad

New member
Have seen a very nice cob taken on pike fillet.

not the best bait in the world but if i were choosing between fresh pike and frozen other baits I would go the fresh pike. JMO
 

BigBen

Sealiner
Pike is expensive in relation to other fish baits.

Has moer oil tho.Works well in discoloured water for Elf and Kob.

I have used frozen mullet b4 and is an excellent bait I use currently due to so much

baitfish in F/bay. Strangly pilchard is not so succesful @ the moment.
 

Doogle

New member
Hi Bigben

I have found that I catch more Elf on Pike than on Sardine, especially when there are lots of guys fishing Sard. The pike is slightly tougher on the hook than Sard and will stand up to a couple of Elf knocks.

 

:wfish
 

Reaper002

New member
Many thanks for the replies guys.::S

I prefer the Pike to Sard cause it lasts longer (stays firmer and doesnt discolour that quickly after refreezing).

That said I haven't caught anything edible with it except on the boats for Snoek.

I noticed it lacks that oily excretion which is needed when you attracting fish when angling. On the boats the schools are usually swimming under or near the boat and they criss cross in search of bait so you dont really need that much coaxing to take the bait. My skelm is usually lokaas that I prepare the night before with old soft pilchard mashed up layered in anchovie oil.

Pity I cant do that in angling. Just attracts way too many sharks and barbels.
 

Reaper002

New member
JJ Pienaar wrote:
First off all what are u targeting . . . . Why use pike if u got so many other baits u can use. . . Sard, shad, sarda sarda, kawa kawa, streepie aka karenteen, kolstert aka blacktail ect. . .

Frozent mullet is a good bait especialy the head as it very oily. . . . But nothing beats a live bait

My target fish on surf at the moment is still my elusive Cob. I have been doing extensive research on sealine and various other sites to get a general idea of what I should be trying on the surf. At the moment I am studying the Falsbay area for gullies and sandbanks and how many fish are being pulled at certain areas to get an idea of whre my chances of being most successful will be. :fishn

 

 I caught a kob at Die Dam in December on and a fresh octopus leg but it just made it for size. Was tempted to throw it back but with some hungries dying to try a fresh Kob I relented. Kids loved it though.
 

JJ Pienaar

Sealiner
okay maybe i mist some thing here, when u say pike are we talking about the same fish here?

Could u post a pic of the pike! Thanx
 

Reaper002

New member
JJ Pienaar wrote:
okay maybe i mist some thing here, when u say pike are we talking about the same fish here?

Could u post a pic of the pike! Thanx
This be the sucker I be talkin bout.
 

Attachments

  • Pike bait fish.jpg
    Pike bait fish.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 594

Reaper002

New member
Blanky wrote:
Damn! Now those are some fresh pike!!!

LOL.. That is from a Japanese site. Mine a frozen but I get some really "fresh" frozen ones from a chappy here in Lost City. They are packed 6 in a pack at R30 a pop and are NOT dry frozen so they are still good.

Very firm bait and it's a real shame their lack of oil.
 

Maasbanker

Sealiner
Hi Reaper ! I don't particularly like pike and prefer Mackerel above pike, it has more oil and makes excellent bait presentations...
 

JJ Pienaar

Sealiner
In kzn we call them Jappanise mackrel. . . . Good for shad . . . Havent used it much but the ski boat guy's here trawl it
for cuta to
 

JJ Pienaar

Sealiner
In kzn we call them Jappanise mackrel. . . . Good for shad . . . Havent used it much but the ski boat guy's here trawl it
for cuta to
 

JJ Pienaar

Sealiner
In kzn we call them Jappanise mackrel. . . . Good for shad . . . Havent used it much but the ski boat guy's here trawl it
for cuta to
 

Reaper002

New member
JJ Pienaar wrote:
In kzn we call them Jappanise mackrel. . . . Good for shad . . . Havent used it much but the ski boat guy's here trawl it
for cuta to

Here it is a Japanese mackrel but also referred to as Pike. It is excellent for snoek fishing or Cuta but can really be a sucky bait fish if you need to coax your target to bite. Has a very refined odour and we know fish like profound smelling bait.

I can wash my hands after using Pike and no smell. With Sard and others and sundry Wash rinse wash rinse wash rinse check ...... wash rinse etc.
 

Mouldz

Sealiner
Reaper002 wrote:
JJ Pienaar wrote:
In kzn we call them Jappanise mackrel. . . . Good for shad . . . Havent used it much but the ski boat guy's here trawl it
for cuta to

Here it is a Japanese mackrel but also referred to as Pike. It is excellent for snoek fishing or Cuta but can really be a sucky bait fish if you need to coax your target to bite. Has a very refined odour and we know fish like profound smelling bait.

I can wash my hands after using Pike and no smell. With Sard and others and sundry Wash rinse wash rinse wash rinse check ...... wash rinse etc.

We also call it Japanese mackeral ,used to catch live mullet and streepies ::S::S::S
 

adam5016

Sealiner
I don't use sard anymore, only pike. As far as edibles go, I've had good success with kob, elf, grunter and even belman and a small cracker or two.
 

Tope

New member
I use those (pike) Blueys we call them and I find there better than Mackerel as in for oil, I normally use a chuck of (pike) bluey with Mussel excellent bait for our Cod
Also work very well in Norway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGR8dFnvVc0

None of those are me by the way ( I wish)
 
Top