I noticed while reading through the vast number of

Envor

Senior Member
I just went out tonight for a quick session from 18:00 until 20:00 on our reefs, I had pike and sardines in my bait box, manage to catch 3 cob on the pike.
 

BigLes

New member
I like pike a lot! Been using it a lot lately... but still new to it!

BUT>>>>>

I prefer small tuna species like skipjack/ bonito etc, the ones most ppl throw back!

I have had great success on them with Kob, I freeze it for a few days, lets the flesh firm up, then defrost and use the whole side fillet. I always use a "skelm" hook in my set up and I tend to hook up most times on the skelm hook.

Just a thought>>>>>>>
 

kliphard

Senior Member
Envor wrote:
I just went out tonight for a quick session from 18:00 until 20:00 on our reefs, I had pike and sardines in my bait box, manage to catch 3 cob on the pike.

If I can get fresh pike I will take it above fresh sard as I have caught all my cob over 10 kilos on pike and it makes a nice long thin bait.
 

Enigma

Moderator
BigLes wrote:
I like pike a lot! Been using it a lot lately... but still new to it!

BUT>>>>>

I prefer small tuna species like skipjack/ bonito etc, the ones most ppl throw back!

I have had great success on them with Kob, I freeze it for a few days, lets the flesh firm up, then defrost and use the whole side fillet. I always use a "skelm" hook in my set up and I tend to hook up most times on the skelm hook.

Just a thought>>>>>>>

Ever CONSIDER this?

The reason you hook them on the skelm is that they swallow the whole bait so the skelm is the first one comming out and thus hooks the fish

I make my skelm hook the bigger of the 2 hooks and always hook the kob on the bigger hook - Skelm hook is in fact the main hook?
 

Fishbait

Senior Member
Pike is an excellent bait for Shad, Kob and I even caught Steenbras, White Stump and Geelbeck with it.

Since making the transition from Sardine to Pike I have not looked back. I will never waste money to buy Sardine again.
 

BigBen

Sealiner
I believe in versatality...Fish is fulla nonsence @ times.

Ive seen guys outfish many a fisherman on a particular bait wher the other dont have.

So in Summer I like to have 3 baits from the fleshy type in my cooler, even if its just two whole fish...Sards,Mullet and Pike as the main choices.

Maasbanker seem to be scarce and challenging to procure fresh.

Thereafter those baits..chokka @ night is not negotiable
 

movashan

New member
yesterday few friends and I braved conditions and went to our local beach(ansteys, Durban) armed with 1 pack of jap macs(pike) and a box of prawns. as we fishing we see this skate like stuck in a hole( water was going out). my friend puts a full jap mac inside out and not even 10 mins gets pulled flat. fish was only heading in one direction and that's deepsea. fish was not landed after a lengthy battle line got grazed sumwere and broke.

I personally like this for bait but its abit expensive
 

Envor

Senior Member
Enigma wrote:
BigLes wrote:
Ever CONSIDER this?

The reason you hook them on the skelm is that they swallow the whole bait so the skelm is the first one comming out and thus hooks the fish

I make my skelm hook the bigger of the 2 hooks and always hook the kob on the bigger hook - Skelm hook is in fact the main hook?
I only recently  started using the skelm hook trick, I notice that if i use the pike in  a thin strip the cob grap over the bait and manage to take the bait without a hookup, Friday night I had some pike and sardines, the pike being a bit more thinner in diameter turned inside out with the skelp hook worked for me. Different strokes for different okes.
 

200ts

Senior Member
I know this bait as Jap Mac.

When I used to target shad many many moons ago this was a "secret" shad bait. Had fond memories of casting between two guys using sardine and getting the bite first.

PS I always wondered what pike referred to, now I know :)
 

kliphard

Senior Member
Envor wrote:
Enigma wrote:
BigLes wrote:
Ever CONSIDER this?

The reason you hook them on the skelm is that they swallow the whole bait so the skelm is the first one comming out and thus hooks the fish

I make my skelm hook the bigger of the 2 hooks and always hook the kob on the bigger hook - Skelm hook is in fact the main hook?
I only recently  started using the skelm hook trick, I notice that if i use the pike in  a thin strip the cob grap over the bait and manage to take the bait without a hookup, Friday night I had some pike and sardines, the pike being a bit more thinner in diameter turned inside out with the skelp hook worked for me. Different strokes for different okes.


Hi Envor

Hoe werk die skelm hoek vir jou op die riwwe, ek hengel nog altyd met die skelm hoek maar 9 die riwwe voel dit vir my of ek meer vas sit met 2 hoek as 1?
 

Fishbait

Senior Member
BigBen wrote:
I believe in versatality...Fish is fulla nonsence @ times.

Ive seen guys outfish many a fisherman on a particular bait wher the other dont have.

So in Summer I like to have 3 baits from the fleshy type in my cooler, even if its just two whole fish...Sards,Mullet and Pike as the main choices.

Maasbanker seem to be scarce and challenging to procure fresh.

Thereafter those baits..chokka @ night is not negotiable

Agreed, you can get mullet and maasbanker from the trekkies and if you have your pike and chokka, you are fully loaded.

Then you can give them a variey to feed on and then gauge which one works best. I operate this way! 

Talking about bait collecting I have a new cast net which I still have try out, but it's heavy work if you still want to fish with at least two rods as well.
 

BigLes

New member
I dunno but on big baits a Skelm hook is a must!

They prob do swallow the whole bait, kob eat aggressively and fearlessly they don't play!

I have never tried a big Skelm hook but I generally fish small hooks... 2/0 main and 1/0 Skelm on a big bait!
 

Envor

Senior Member
Hi Envor

Hoe werk die skelm hoek vir jou op die riwwe, ek hengel nog altyd met die skelm hoek maar 9 die riwwe voel dit vir my of ek meer vas sit met 2 hoek as 1?

Hallo Kliphard, Vrydagaand net voor die storm was ek op die riwwe, armed met pike / sardine, op die eerste cast  het ek die pike so pencil strip aangesit, ek kry 1 helse optel en hy loop, my hoek no 5 o Galmakatzu, ek gee lyn, die volgende oomblik als af en ek kry my strop terug, ek sien toe die aas is mooi skoon gevreet. Vir die volgende cast add ek n  no 3 o J-hoek agter die 5 o, die keer add ek 2 strips pike, die vis gryp weer en ek let op die keer sit meneer vas, so land ek 3 cob van so 52 cm tot 1 lekker boggel ruggie van amper 60cm oor die volgende 15 minute, net daarna breek die storm uit en ek moes toe wal toe swem.
 
Top