I love my kayak

bassbug

New member
Howzit dudes, I have a kayak and fish off it on it regularly. There is something about it that I can't explain which keeps me going back on it with every spare time I get.
Unfortunately I live in joburg and limit to where I can kayak, either venues have to much boat traffic or its crocs and hippos. But still have a hand full of places to fish.
From time to time, I join a group of "the basschallenge" dudes on the water, they all on small inflatables with trolling motors or on kickboats, they are jacked, pimping their crafts to assist the days bass fishing. But I'm the only dude on a kayak amongst the dozens of inflatables and kickboats. I cannot join the comp but as an socialite, yep I need a livewell with pumps and battery, and my kayak just won't allow it, but this does not stopp from bragging about my "vessel".
I would like for kayakers out there to join me, we can arrange an outting for a fun filled fishing even maybe a braai during the day, share our knowledge, and show off our pimping mods, what you all say?
 

Speedmaster

Senior Member
Hey bassbug. Firstly welcome to Sealine.:welcomesea:
I see you have a Stealth Evo 495. I am sure a live well will not be to hard to fit to your yak. There is a few option on airrators(spelling) to use. You get ones that use 4 penlight batteries. One can use a 12V water pump that pump the water in on the one side and a drain that let the old water flow out. Sorry got a bit carried away with the DIY. I love making stuff. Unfortunately I will not be able to join you on a trip.
 

bassbug

New member
Howzit speedmaster, the requirement for a livewell is, 20 litres at all time, a pump inserting water into livewell with an outlet hose(water circuilation), futher more an aerator pump inside, battery. I have tried fitting a 45litre cooler box with 20 litres on the back and front of me, very top heavy, I keep on balancing the rig, found it difficult to fish at same time, now if I could fit it inside the wet hatch it would work but I'd never cull fish not to mention where to put my fishing gear, but if there is a livewell working on a stealth evo please send or post it, I have surfed the net and youtube and have seen a few livewells on kayaks but they are fitted on other type of kayaks like sit inside kayaks and indian type canoes
Thanks for the welcome , I like it here_seal1__seal1_
 

Speedmaster

Senior Member
Is the livewell requirements personal or a must. What about making a type of bucket out of fibreglass and mounting it on the back of the yak.
 

bassbug

New member
Its a must, my kayak is classed as a small boat in the "the bass challenge" comps which takes place once a month. Another thing to consider when mounting a box/bucket on the back of kayak is if you'll be able to reach to it and inside it, but I still remain concerned about balance (top heavy). I see you have a pope, can you carry a livewell on top?
 

theoldgoat

New member
Hi Bassbug, I have an Evo 465 and am going to make a live well in the dry hatch behind the seat. I am not sure the size of that dry hatch but think it is larger than 20 litres, haven't checked it out yet. If it is, why not use that as an option? :kaykak
 

BFC CRAZY

New member
Hi there Bassbug

On Saturday myself and a couple of buddies were having a couple of cold ones when kayaks came up and why we use them, seeing that half of the guys present fished from jet ski's they wanted to know why?

And some points were raised about its cheap way of fishing and so on and some negative comments about limited range and wind.

But then one of my buddies who has also recently started kayak fishing said something which was exactly how I felt but never voiced...........it makes you feel alive......like a man doing manly things.......there are no sissys fishing off kayaks!!!

Maybe that is why you spend so much time on it!! It really gets my heart pumping and the adrenaline flowing.
 

zulu-X-treme

Sealiner
BFC CRAZY wrote:
...........it makes you feel alive......like a man doing manly things.......there are no sissys fishing off kayaks!!!

So true... It's primal... For me it's the ability to 'hit-the-water', be out-there truly exposed to the elements, come home with fish and with the least amount of impact to the environment... It's back to basics!!!

pri·mal/ˈprīməl/

Adjective:

1.Essential; fundamental.
2.Relating to an early stage in evolutionary development; primeval.
 

Speedmaster

Senior Member
I made a live well out of a container that I fitted handels on to secure to the back of my kayak. Worked perfect. I fitted a airator on the lid. I think it was more that 20l. Will post pic tomorrow.
 

Willz

New member
Bassbug, dude Im in Pretoria and also have a yak that I love fishing from, where around Gauteng do you fish? I normally go to Roodeplaat was there this past weekend and the barber were on the bite, still cant get those bloody kurpers though.

I recon organising a get together for freshwater kayakers around Gauteng is an awesome idea! We can build up our skill for when all the guys from down in Natal invites us for a few sessions (nudge nudge) .I know there use to be a club up here organised by the guys from Hunter ski but they made the move down to the coast.

will be good to hear back from you!

:kaykak
 

bassbug

New member
So true gents, when I do visit the salty stuff, I do feel more manly than the sweet stuff in gauteng. The adrenaline that pumps makes me want more and more, and this only happens at the coast, inland it is always a laugh and not as exciting. Yes a kayak comes alive at the coast and I can't wait for december
 

bassbug

New member
To share my fun, this sunday ill be kayaking at harties, ill launch from Ifafi and fish the bay inbetween ifafi and meerhof, all are welcomed. Ill be bass fishing
 

bassbug

New member
SPEEDMASTER, thank you, thank you. I have taken the plunge and test the dry hatch with 25litres of water, it worked. Previously I phone stealth on this issue and was adviced against it because of weight, balance and roll. But I think it was that the dry hatch is not properly sealed, the first half of hatch is sealed beautifully but the back half I had to seal it silicon. I have added a bilge pump, a aerator which both run off a 7amp battery. Futher more I added a solar panel to charge the battery for a full days work on the water. I tested this rig on fairly rough water with some wind and amongst bigger boat waves and felt very safe. I am so happy with this outcome I could give speedmaster a hug for helping me. Oooh do post some pics of other rigs. I will post mine when I'm finished planning the electrics with switches and etc.
This staurday the 10th ill use this plan to fish the Basschallenge comp at klerkskraal, can't wait to show off my rig
 

Snack

Senior Member
Is there anything in the rules that states that the live well must be attached/fixed to the kayak?

Could you not use a 25l bucket and a float ring so that a third/quarter of the bucket is above the dam water level? Once you found your spot to fish, latch the bucket to the side of the kayak and use the pump to fill it with water. This way, your kayak will not be supporting an extra 25kg of water which should make balancing easier. The pump and batteries would still need to in a waterproof container etc.

When going in, it may even be easier to tow the bucket that it it was inside the kayak

just my 2c
 

bassbug

New member
Howzit Snack, either or, doesn't matter. I've tried it and it works but you don't swiftly, and the bucket gets your arms tired. Its better having a cheap pick and pay child blow up boat towed with bucket inside. There is no balancing problems with dry hatch full of water only the kayak sits deeper in the water.
:kaykak
 
Top