I have been in a club setup for 10 years. I devote

Bronzie@MAXIMA

New member
***Galjoen*** wrote:
Sylvester wrote:
Sharks get 1 point/kg, edibles get 4 points/kg except Cob which gets 2/kg.
Eina, so d.w.s. ek moet 'n galjoen van 20kg vang om gelykstaande aan 'n bronzie van 80kg te wees....:fst:
LOL!!...I think you gona have to slide a moerse worm for that galjoen,GALJOEN....I kinda said the same thing few years back.:hyst::hyst:
 

Attachments

  • lamprey-closeup.jpg
    lamprey-closeup.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 166

Bronzie@MAXIMA

New member
:clowjust pulling your leg galjoen.
...But on a serious note....like i said earlier,ive been in it for 7years now and its a 7years well spent in my fishing career.You learn so much,lol the old ballies got alota tips and experience,good hearing some fishing stories over a braai and a few beers:beer...as a club ofcourse!.....At the end of the day is what you make out of it.:cool:
 

BOSKABELJOU

New member
Sylvester wrote:
Sharks get 1 point/kg, edibles get 4 points/kg except Cob which gets 2/kg.
Is the point system based on research or to protect edible species or to keep the club competitions up and running seeing as so little edibles are being caught just wondering ?
 

Sylvester

Banned
Tygerberg has avery strong social side. I am not aware of any other club that has as busy a social comp schedule as us. I'm not sure of the count but like Mielie said there are plenty of trophies for the edible guys and girls!
 

Sylvester

Banned
BOSKABELJOU wrote:
Sylvester wrote:
Sharks get 1 point/kg, edibles get 4 points/kg except Cob which gets 2/kg.
Is the point system based on research or to protect edible species or to keep the club competitions up and running seeing as so little edibles are being caught just wondering ?
i am not sure about the history of the points system. I do know that the size of sharks caught today are way bigger than say15yrs ago. An assumption maybe that if you caught a 5 kg Steenbras it would be equivalent to a 20kg shark which maybe was the average when the system was introduced.....I am speculating here though so don't take that as fact!
 

SAfish

Sealiner
I don't have enough time to fish and belong to a club. I also don't have the money as I think it is expensive to fish competitively. I have nothing against clubs or club angling, I just don't think it is for me. Not at this stage anyway. Maybe later when my son is older.
 

kraken

Senior Member
There is no doubt that joining an angling club whether it be Shore, Deep sea, Freshwater or whatever will expose the individual to a massive source of info and techniques.

Politics or whatever is in the eye of the beholder and in most cases is blown out of preportion and highly exaggerated.

I strongly believe that all anglers should, at the very least belong to some form of organisation which will then be able to carry a more powerful message to the powers that be when it comes to policy making regarding our "playing field".

At the moment, the various facets of organised angling are the only real voice available and unfortunately our numbers seem too small to have any major influence.

Instead of moaning and bitching about closure of beaches, stricter catch restrictions,pollution etc, do something positive and at the very least make enquiries about joining a club.

Most angling clubs and associations are small and crying out for new blood. By swelling the numbers, the perceived atmosphere of politics will drop correspondingly. 
 

misguide

Senior Member
ronny wrote:
I have been in a club setup for 10 years. I devoted a lot of time, money and efort to the sport. I recently made a decision to move on. I noticed that a lot of members on this forum have comments like "NO THANK YOU" and reference to "POLITICS" in their profiles regarding clubs. I would like to invite your comments (gripes) regarding these statements. Khan, your insight will be most appreciated. 

@Ronny, this is a great question!
I also been wondering why so many anglers have such a negative perception of club angling.

@ everyone else - It is the same for everything in life - be it clubs, businesses, friends - what one person is satisfied with does not necessarily satisfy another person.
An example : you may have 2 friends (I wish I had 2 friends...LOL) - they are both your friends and you like them but they do not get a long with each other - people have different personalities so just make sure you join a club with people you like
You normally only make friends with people you like so then join a club with people you like.

If there is a person in the club which is disliked - it will only be a matter of time before that person moves on or is thrown out.

My $2 Trillion Zim worth
 

misguide

Senior Member
ronny wrote:
For the record, i used to belong to Trevally Angling Club which by no means is a small club. I just want to find out more about the sarcastic statements that i have come across in the past. I simply want to discuss these so that we may clear up misconceptions regarding the sport. If i can give back to the sport what i have gained in the past 10 years, then i would have achieved something.
Does Sagi still fish for Trevally?
 

khalaharikid

Sealiner
just because you join a club does not mean you have to fish for sharks, if you are not flexable you will not enjoy the full potential of the points system, many times the sharks have not played along and we have resorted to scratching.

if we do not consistently catch fish we out the top 8, you have to be able to catch every round to stay in the side, if that means edibles then thats what we go for, lots of edible fishing to help the points tick over, think about it
 

ronny

Senior Member
misguide wrote:
ronny wrote:
For the record, i used to belong to Trevally Angling Club which by no means is a small club. I just want to find out more about the sarcastic statements that i have come across in the past. I simply want to discuss these so that we may clear up misconceptions regarding the sport. If i can give back to the sport what i have gained in the past 10 years, then i would have achieved something.
Does Sagi still fish for Trevally?
Your comments are spot on - Sagie left a few years ago to join NCAA but has recently left them to join Nemesis which is a faction of Trevally.
 
kraken wrote:
There is no doubt that joining an angling club whether it be Shore, Deep sea, Freshwater or whatever will expose the individual to a massive source of info and techniques.

Politics or whatever is in the eye of the beholder and in most cases is blown out of preportion and highly exaggerated.

I strongly believe that all anglers should, at the very least belong to some form of organisation which will then be able to carry a more powerful message to the powers that be when it comes to policy making regarding our "playing field".

At the moment, the various facets of organised angling are the only real voice available and unfortunately our numbers seem too small to have any major influence.

Instead of moaning and bitching about closure of beaches, stricter catch restrictions,pollution etc, do something positive and at the very least make enquiries about joining a club.

Most angling clubs and associations are small and crying out for new blood. By swelling the numbers, the perceived atmosphere of politics will drop correspondingly. 
Excellent post. Maybe must more anglers join clubs and make their own opinion.

"Mens is nooit te oud om te leer nie"


 
 

alchar

New member
Hi Ronny, i also find myself in a position where its perhaps time to move on (been there done that got the Tshirt). Time x money x effort = little reward. All my angling mates i used to fish with 4/5 times a week have all moved on. Perhaps in my case a deciding factor could be that i was a victim of a violent robbery on the beach 18 months ago, and still up to now i am not comfortable fishing on my own anymore. I am confined to having to fish the more popular freqented spots which are often overfished and crowded out. Competition w/ends- big commitment and on average dissapointing rewards.Catches on the KZN eastcoast having being dwindling, this last summer being the worst i have experienced.
Then finally we have a minority of clubs canvasing votes to implement changes to the constitution, as at the last AGM, changing the vote percentage criteria, to effect changes to competition rules which imho, favour the minority.All this when only 2/3rds of clubs are present at an AGM!
I can go on and on but yeh there comes a time when we get 'over it' and have to move on.
MHO.
 
Bronzie@MAXIMA wrote:
***Galjoen*** wrote:
Sylvester wrote:
Sharks get 1 point/kg, edibles get 4 points/kg except Cob which gets 2/kg.
Eina, so d.w.s. ek moet 'n galjoen van 20kg vang om gelykstaande aan 'n bronzie van 80kg te wees....:fst:
LOL!!...I think you gona have to slide a moerse worm for that galjoen,GALJOEN....I kinda said the same thing few years back.:hyst::hyst:
:hyst::hyst::hyst:lekker lag ek nou!!! Imagine ek slide 'n 5kg bloedwurm...:hyst::hyst:
 
Bronzie@MAXIMA wrote:
:clowjust pulling your leg galjoen.
...But on a serious note....like i said earlier,ive been in it for 7years now and its a 7years well spent in my fishing career.You learn so much,lol the old ballies got alota tips and experience,good hearing some fishing stories over a braai and a few beers:beer...as a club ofcourse!.....At the end of the day is what you make out of it.:cool:

"At the end of the day is what you make out of it"

So true!!!:cool:
 

Sylvester

Banned
***Galjoen*** wrote:
Bronzie@MAXIMA wrote:
***Galjoen*** wrote:
Sylvester wrote:
Sharks get 1 point/kg, edibles get 4 points/kg except Cob which gets 2/kg.
Eina, so d.w.s. ek moet 'n galjoen van 20kg vang om gelykstaande aan 'n bronzie van 80kg te wees....:fst:
LOL!!...I think you gona have to slide a moerse worm for that galjoen,GALJOEN....I kinda said the same thing few years back.:hyst::hyst:
:hyst::hyst::hyst:lekker lag ek nou!!! Imagine ek slide 'n 5kg bloedwurm...:hyst::hyst:
I'm sure you can find one around Koeberg!!!ROFL....probably find a 20kg Galjoen there too......ROFL!!!
 

KLIPVIS

Sealiner
I think some guys have the wrong perception about club angling and anglers.I know very little club anglers who dont absolutely love fishing for edibles.Most of us started fishing for them , hell we got demoeren if we hooked sharks.But after a while a 2kg galjoen just doesn't do it anymore on social outings we still target them and extremely good edible anglers in our clubs.But being serious you cannot compete with catching edibles only.If there was loads around hell yeah ! but we dont catch numbers anymore and on comp day the most kg's win.

Some people think it is easy to catch sharks , you just rock up .... HA . We fish fixed dates ie you get the weather on that day as it is.That is where your quality anglers start standing out as they can read the best conditions to fish in and they catch their fish , somedays we have 400 anglers out there and maybe 50 will catch something somtimes less.

You will not understand the thrill untill you have not tried it.
 

Bronzie@MAXIMA

New member
***Galjoen*** wrote:
Bronzie@MAXIMA wrote:
:clowjust pulling your leg galjoen.
...But on a serious note....like i said earlier,ive been in it for 7years now and its a 7years well spent in my fishing career.You learn so much,lol the old ballies got alota tips and experience,good hearing some fishing stories over a braai and a few beers:beer...as a club ofcourse!.....At the end of the day is what you make out of it.:cool:

"At the end of the day is what you make out of it"

So true!!!:cool:

:woohoo::H:dapp:
 
Top