How to?

Yman

Senior Member
Good day, I need help, I tryed a bit of spinning for Elf last weekend, but dont actaly know what is the best/correct way to do it, the same with dropshot or spinning from the river bank.

Can someone please try and explane to  me, I realy want to hook a fish on spinner. And now that I work out at Persiverince maby want to make a cast or two after work in the Swartkops river
 

NetSoGroot

New member
If using spoon then try to make it do a splashing type movement on surface (Fast retrieval - spoon). This mimics a fish that could be hurt or trying to escape one of those hunters - the movement and splashing attracts shad.

 

 
 

couta-koppie

Senior Member
My grandfather use to say, "If you catch shad on 7 out of 10 casts (which is good), then try painting your spoon white and you will catch 10 out of 10"

I tried it and it worked, not 10/10, but more than on a std silver spoon. I also found that white dropshots seems to work better than the other colours, or at least in our waters.
 

neilg

Sealiner
And another guy also said

PURPLE IS PERFECT

Go read the light tackle article - part 3, there is info on elf

REMEMBER TO CHUM, once in a frenzy, ANY lure will work.
From personal experience, dont retrieve too fast, medium speed is good, lure must swim JUST UNDER the surface, the upper part of the water column.

They are great fish to target on light tackle

One of My goals for this year - a 7kg elf on light tackle
 

salty

Senior Member
couta coppie is correct about the white lure working better, it produces better than any other colour on a bad day, but if the fish are in a frenzy they would even take a broom stick!!!
retrieves would vary on conditions.
 
Top