How to spool braid and backing.

i-fish

New member
Just a question. If I want to spool 300m of braid on my grinder, how do I do it? Let's say my grinder can take 400m of 0.3mm mono. How do I know how much mono to put on so that there is just enough space left for my 300m of braid? I don't have another similar reel etc.
Thanks.:doh
 

i-fish

New member
Ja, but as far as I know, they only have a "winding" machine and a line counter. I want to know how I will get 200m of topshot casting braid on top of mono backing. It is just expensive to fill the entire spool with braid on a Sustain 500.
 

i-fish

New member
Cool thanks. It sounds like its about the best bet. I just think it will add to a lot of line twist. Hoped there was a better way.
 

Limpopoking

Sealiner
I posted this on another thread recently.

The way I do it is to tape the end of the braid onto the spool Then I load all the braid onto the reel.

Now make your line to backing join and load the reel to about a millimeter shy of the lip of the spool (make sure the washers on the reel are set correctly for a perfect lay onto the spool)

Cut the backing when the spool is fully loaded.

I use a mandrel that I put into a cordless drill that holds an old empty spool, but you can also use an old reel with sufficient capacity... now tape the loose end on and wind all the line off the Stradic, backing first onto the spare spool/reel.

Then, using another spare spool/reel (I use an old buggered Penn 500 for this) wind everything off the previous spool.

Now you have the correct end with which to start spooling your Stradic and you know that every bit of your 300 yards will fit on. If you use sufficient tension in the loading, you should end up with the correct diameter on the Stradic (approx 2mm).

When loading less than a full spool of braid onto a reel, start with a few turns of mono first. Otherwise the braid may slip on the spool.

Also (don't ask me why I know this)... remember to take the silly little strip of plastic off the spool to begin with
 

OvaR8ed

Sealiner
This is very easy if you have a spear spool. Simply put the braid on your spare, tie the mono to the braid and spool it over. Then tie the mono to the actual spool and spool the whole lot over.

When I don't have a spear spool this is what i do...

The idea was to split my 300yard (275m) fireline into 2x140m sections (Bang for buck kinda thing)

Use Google Earth to find two trees in a park near you that are the correct distance apart
 

Attachments

  • Distance.png
    Distance.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 287

OvaR8ed

Sealiner
Tie your braid to the one tree and roll out line to the other tree (in a straight line...)
 

Attachments

  • RollOutLine.png
    RollOutLine.png
    96.9 KB · Views: 287

OvaR8ed

Sealiner
Tie the braid to the reel and reel in as you walk back the the first tree...

When you get there, measure the remainder with a steel ruler. This is the amount of mono you want to add to the bottom (minus 1-2mm else the spool will be to full)
 

Attachments

  • IMAG0302.jpg
    IMAG0302.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 286

OvaR8ed

Sealiner
Now loosen your drag and walk back to the other tree letting all the braid out again and cut it off the spool.

Now mark the height you measured (minus the 1-2mm) from the bottom of the inside of the spool, tie your mono on and spool it on until you reach the mark. Then simply tie your braid to the mono backing and spool it over...
 

Attachments

  • IMAG0305.jpg
    IMAG0305.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 289

OvaR8ed

Sealiner
The nice thing about this method is you can practice casting your new rig without a moment to spare after the line went on ;)
 

Enigma

Moderator
Limpopoking has it spot on.

The line twist is minimal and with braid being soft and almost memory free.

The method is used to fill grinders and multipliers

It is also very easy to get the line spooled under pressure as you can reel it off the spare reel (jigmaster) under drag onto the new reel
 
Top