Hotnotsvis tactics

DJP

Sealiner
Has anybody tried targeting Hotnotsvis on artlure or better yet actualy had success with  it?

I caught some on conventional tackle this weekend and when my reel seized I decided to try my Bluegill outfit with some small grubs. The weather however didn't play along with the light outfit andy heavy sea.

I think this could be a prime species to target on artlure around Cape Town. They sometimes come in huge schools and size wise aren't to bad.

Glad to hear everybodies 5c worth of input!
 

DJP

Sealiner
Cool and thanks. That confirms what I thought.

I'm not that familiar with sabiki/yozuri rigs besides that one uses them from boats to catch baitfish? At what depth are they fished and does one fish with them whilst on the move or static?

I see that Hotties are omnivorous and are apperently not catholic in diet so recon same lures used for "Kolsterte" will work, maybe even fly?
 

will101

Senior Member
Yep, got them on fly before. When they are schooling, like at Buffels (small ones unfortunately), you get bumped all the way on the retrieve. Was using a no4 olive/white clouser on a sinking line.
 

DJP

Sealiner
Will101 can you maybe elaborate a bit more on how you caught these fish. Things like depth you fished at, retrieve style, leader lenght ext. Trying to formulate a few gameplans for my next mision.
 

Psyco bob

New member
I've caught these fish @ sea point on berkley cammo worm.
They find them too irresistable too leave it alone, slow retrieve with the occasional jerk in between
 

Psyco bob

New member
There is a part that is a reserve but I'm not sure which parts.
I know I didnt fish in the reserve  though double checked
 

will101

Senior Member
DJP wrote:
Will101 can you maybe elaborate a bit more on how you caught these fish. Things like depth you fished at, retrieve style, leader lenght ext. Trying to formulate a few gameplans for my next mision.

OK can't remember my leadersetup at the time but it would have been 15lbs straight probably about 2m long. Short strip / erratic retrieve about 2m from the bottom (this was about 10 water) although the fish comes up and follows the fly almost up to the boat.

Guys the marine reserve starts at Hout Bay harbor and ends at Oudekraal or thereabouts - so Seapoint is fine. just mind your backside...
 

Nepptune

Sealiner
Hammertime wrote:
Hundreds of them on Cammo Worm from Berkley and on the small prawn also from Berkley
I've got some AWESOME video of Dylan ( Junior Bob 2 ) SLAYING the Hotties on those Camo Worms and Little Shrimps from that trip we did inshore with him... classic double ups and going full tilt bendo on the ultralight stuff..... CLASSIC species bashing from the Young Gun!
 

Dorado75

Sealiner
will101 wrote:
DJP wrote:
Will101 can you maybe elaborate a bit more on how you caught these fish. Things like depth you fished at, retrieve style, leader lenght ext. Trying to formulate a few gameplans for my next mision.

OK can't remember my leadersetup at the time but it would have been 15lbs straight probably about 2m long. Short strip / erratic retrieve about 2m from the bottom (this was about 10 water) although the fish comes up and follows the fly almost up to the boat.

Guys the marine reserve starts at Hout Bay harbor and ends at Oudekraal or thereabouts - so Seapoint is fine. just mind your backside...
 

Ha ha ha!
 
Top