Horizontal jigging?

OFC

Sealiner
hi all

after having a look at some vertical jigs at the tackle shop the other day, i was wondering if these could be used on normal R&S tackle like a spoon!

taking into account the weight of these jigs, i thought they might work well to get more distance than you would with a spoon, and you would not have to alter your cast much?

 with the gear ratio's of most reels, there should not be a problem keeping the lure in mid-water and off the bricks ? i will try it in the next couple of weeks, and when the sards come this year, it could maybe help to reach the shoals that are always just too far!

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

 
 

Polychaete

Senior Member
Why reinvent the wheel?

Off course any device that you move through the water will catch a fish, but some are more suitable then others. The vertical jigging lures I've seen are all very narrow and will have fairly limited action and as you say, you'll have to wind very fast.

The now famous snake or even abbu (crib) will do the same job probably better & cheaper......

But I guess it's in the nature of fishing to want to experiment.
 

Bux

Senior Member
When I went home only a year ago, I have never heard of vertical jigging and only wanted spoons (as I was deprived of any ocean going vessel and much ocean fishing knowledge). The shop i was in had very limited array of spoons but had the jigs and after asking the shopkeeper he said that it can be used as a spoon.

Tried it once or twice (had too many Ondas, bucktails & other goodies) with limited success.

But went out last weekend and the barracuda was on the 'crazy' bite and so tried a jig and got hit every time before my rubbish steel trace snapped (note to self - please check wire traces for kinks!).

Thus...casts a mile (especially from shore) but agreed that I think it has a very limited action, which fish dont mind when they on the bite.
 

Andre Laas

Sealiner
Well, a buck-tail do not have much "built in" action, and you have to impart most of the action required on it. Given the "hairs" on a buck-tail may give a bit of movement with water movement. Maybe slap one or two "feathered" hooks to the jig to give more movement and flash, and impart more action with the rod than with a "high action" spoon, and I cannot see why it should not work. May also work well for kob where you want the lure closer to the bottom / bouncing of the sand!! Will be inter resting to get feedback!
 

neilg

Sealiner
Should work, especially taking into consideration all the lovely colour combinations you get, but best used in SANDY areas.

cause those assist hooks will go looking for rocks to get hooked on !

Can't add them to my light tackle lure tackle bag, it's already HEAVY ENOUGH as it is !

why re-invent the wheel ... I love it when people do something different ... GO FOR IT!
 

Bux

Senior Member
Talking of Bucktails, I saw on inside angling that one of the guys was using a bucktail like a jig, workin it vertically, and nailed the fish in Mozambique. Have to try that...gotta love the bucktail!
 
Top