Hi I have been crayfishing for the first time fro

Nots76

New member
Hi

I have been crayfishing for the first time from kayak this past season with great succes in Pringle bay , I do however want to get into fishing . I have seen the guys talk about Buffels Bay as a good place to launch and cath red's and Hotties , I have a few questions and would appreciate your input:

1. Do you have to paddle far out of Buffels or do you basically fish behind the kelp line. In which direction should you head , I don't have a fishfinder to find reefs.

2. What bait is used , I maybe want to try dropshot as it looks interesting and seems to work but don't want to if chokka or something else works better. Also what nice places sell bait?

3. If anyone is fishing Cape point or Pringle bay, would you mind two inexperienced anglers to tag along.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Nots

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

will101

Senior Member
:welcomesea:Man at the moment you are pretty much guaranteed to hook a snoek at Buffels and it wil only cost you a short paddle! You'll need to go in a group though so any of the guys here could hook up with you and do this it would be a very interesting excercise! If necessary it might be an idea to have an escort in the form of a boat in case things get nasty. FM, Nepps - what do you guys think, are you in?

I'd definitely be willing to do the boat escort just to witness the spectacle!

Otherwise your usual bottomfish are all available there - you don't have to paddle far. Get a wildcard in the meantime.

cheers

w

 ps. enter your location
 

tdi

New member
stay away its very dangerous out there rather go to melkbaai in strand i would not trust buffie saw to many heavy swells just my opinion
 

Nots76

New member
I was their over the weekend and it seemed very calm, don't want to go too far only want to try some bottomfish until I find my legs, so to speak.

I have a wildcard do you still have to pay extra for fishing?

Where is Melkbaai in Strand?



 
 

tdi

New member
melkbaai is as u get into the strand where the first toilets are thats on the beach very nice place to launch acording to some paddlers on this site nice flat waters
 

156

New member
Will101 any ideas about subduing a snoek on a kayak? Might be best to try to tire it with a boat rod, straight out on a dolly might be a bit testing. Any one catching snoek of a kayak?
 

Hammertime

Sealiner
First off, my 2c here.

Have anchored in Buffells a few 100 times and never seen bad swell. No backline, mid break. Just a shore break and nothing like the open beach breaks around the corner at places like Dias beach.

@-156
Subduing a snoek is very simple and when seated even easier. You would need to fish with a thick leader no matter what. So a wrap of the leader around the hand, close in front of the mouth and then fling it up under your arm. You then basically put it into a choke hold and snap its neck. Quick simple and fast.

I reckon you guys would have a jol.
I can shadow you guys too if you want.
 

Patrick

Sealiner
Ja, i say get out there. I've fished many times off Buffels off my old ski and there's no swell there. If its choppy out there, its choppy pretty much everywhere else then, and you wont be launching anyway.
The snoek eluded us plenty times off the ski, so if you can get it right it must be a jol.
If you've got a wild card then its an extra R20 for fishing.
Buffels is a nice easy launch too and where the snoek are sitting now is an easy row.
 

156

New member
HT- Thanks. I caught first snoek, full bag thanks to Miles's excellent primer, last weekend off a boat. After a few kak attempts at the neck break I just gripped the okes in the gills and moered them with the edge of the bait board which was not elegant but worked. Would be keen to target them off a kayak but probably need to tie up this detail.

Patrick- Have you caught snoek of your ski, pre boating luxury?

Nots76, tdi- Lets have a round up on Friday and see what weather/ enthusiasm/ reports are like for weekend.

tdi- Buffels is lekker flat but if you fall in you won't touch bottom unless your legs are around 40m. Lots of boats out there last weekend so it doesn't feel lonely, how are you fixed for the weekend?
 

Hammertime

Sealiner
156

The neck needs to be broken to bleed. Unbleed snoek is not lekker eating.
My son when he was around 6 couldn't break the neck, so we taught him to swing the fish up between his legs (they hadn't dropped yet so no bite risk).
He would hold the fish between his legs and then cut the isthmus under the neck to bleed the fish.

Cheers
Hammertime
 

will101

Senior Member
[color=#006600]156[/color] wrote:
Will101 any ideas about subduing a snoek on a kayak? Might be best to try to tire it with a boat rod, straight out on a dolly might be a bit testing. Any one catching snoek of a kayak?

yip, like hammertime said. Make it bleed. But be sure to do it humanely. Tell it what you are about to do in a kind voice and maybe stroke its head a bit to take the edge off.

I am not fishing off a yak, but something smaller actually - although it has an outboard. My leader consists of about 10ft of normal snoekline with a 1ft piano wire trace, a sliding sinker (size varies according to the feeding depth - deeper=heavier. Sunday I used only a 1/2 ounce as the fish were at about 10m)

the swivel needs to sit attached to the hook. With this setup the leader winds onto the reel, and as soon as that happens you put the rod away and handline the fish onto the boat.

I doubt anyone has ever caught snoek off a yak - I'd very much like to witness this - and film it.

 
 

Nots76

New member
Thanks for the enthusiasm and advice

I am however out of play this weekend .

What sort of tackle and bait do you use for bottomfish and I think it differs substantially for Snoek?

I am very green to angling but hoping to rectify soon

Thanks guys

 

 

 

 

 
 

will101

Senior Member
For the snoek the normal "dropshot" setup will work - 6ft spinning stick with a bit of backbone and a decent coffeegrinder. Not much different for bottoms - you might pick up a shark or something big. I always take the minimum of bait - only to catch some small hotties or what have you - which I then use as bait - filleted and cut into small strips. With this I've caught 6 species in one outing at buffels. Roman, Red Steenbras, hottentot, galjoen, steentjie, gurnard, klipvis, sharks, cob, geelbek, geelstert, snoek, you name it.
I'm also out this coming weekend but the one after that it's game on.
 
Apparent the Snoek off a ski HAS been done. (By someone on this site)
@ Nots76 Buffels is by far my Favourite spot. Have not really been out there that we dont catch. Trick is to keep an eye on the wind as the paddle back from Venus Pools can be a bitch if the wind picks up out the south. Fishing at buffles is generally just off the kelp if you going for hotties and reds. If you going for snoek or chokka you cant miss the boats in the middle. Would have loved to have made the trip out on Sunday but the wife called the tune 30minutes before the call from Pat came in. (So I got to see tygervalley instead...if it is not painting the house, it is shopping)
Previously, myself and Patrick have made the paddle to the point as well as the snoek boats in the middle of the bay. I must admit, we were greeted by some odd remarks and stares.

Strand is my usual saturday / Sunday morning haunt when conditions are acceptable and I do not feel like the drive (or have the cash to go)to the Point. Fish worth targeting are Cob, elf and Geelbek with some good reports coming in from the guys this year. (22kg cob, 7kg Steenbras)

As for bait at Buffels and Strand, generally we use fish bait or Chokka at both spots. C-Point may well be suited for Artlure (thinking of you Nepps), But I have not had much success. I must admit, I did not really try hard.

Always looking for Company out on the water... pm me your details and I will give you a shout when I head out again.
 

sorsjoubert

New member
Good morning

Would love to join you guys at buffels if you go out again, I have never done the cape point area and it would be fantastic to meet up.If you plan to go out please give me a shout.
 

BakkiesWors

New member
Im getting a kayak soon, ive been spearfishing and gone kreefig for years now as well as some fishing on shore off rocks but am keen to start kayak fishing.

Please give a shout when you guys go out!!

I might be getting the kayak in next month or so.

Thanks manne
 
Top