Hi guys! Help a chap out man, please! Over the

Blikkiesvis

Sealiner
Hi guys! Help a chap out man, please!

Over the weekend I tore my net in sy tjops! I need a new one and if I'm completely honest has been needing one for a while. Mine looks like a "spoorwegkind se sokkies so gestop is hulle..."

Anyways, I have a few questions:

How big a net should I get, 4ft, 6ft, 6,6ft, 8ft?

What type of net, lead weights or that "other" stuff, mono or those weaved ones?

Thanks, have a good one!

Blik
 

BigBen

Sealiner
Mono + lead...you need a quick sinking net thats not heavy to cast repeatedly.

weaved ones r heavy and takes long to sink giving bait an escape.

;)
 

Stefan001

Senior Member
With size bigger is always better. 6vt all the way. For rock and Surf casting. The bigger the net the better the chance for a mullet
 

flippy

Sealiner
i went for manageable casting.. so a 4ft for me..easier to handle and won't tire you out if in the surf..easy and light to carry around etc

but as said a 6ft opens wider with less chance of some getting out

need to use mine got bitten off yesterday by something with sharp teeth
:X
 

willem wikkel spies

Moderator
Staff member
nylon
the smaller they are, the quicker they sink.
the smaller they are, the less off target you need to be.
the smaller they are, the more casts needed to effectively work a area.

the smaller they are, the longer you can stand casting them.
getting old is where the problems start.
but 6 ft is big, would go with a 5 foot.

oja, no bigger then 6ft allowed!!!!
 

Blikkiesvis

Sealiner
Hi guys thanks for the replies!

@WWW, I didn't know that your'e not allowed bigger than a 6ft net? All the 6ft seems to be sold out!

Went to take a look at nets at SSS yesterday and they have plenty of nets ranging from 4-7ft, but the weights are all those plastic stuff... I would prefer lead weights. Apparently there is movement towards banning lead, for sinkers as well!

The search continues.
 

TankEvans

New member
Hi guys,

I have also been looking for a nylon cast net with lead weights in either 5ft or 6ft but haven't been able to find anything..

Any idea where I can buy a net like this in Johannesburg?

I only find nets with the plastic weights as well....:?
 

PatrickC

Senior Member
I'm 6'6 and can throw a 8ft net quite comfortably but its tiring. I retired my 8' I went back to a 6ft net because its far easier to handle when wading in the surf. I would stick to the 6ft size. Lead weights a definite, and the biggest mesh you can find.
 

dswart

Sealiner
Nylon + lead weights + 6 foot.

I have a couple = 6 foot and 5 foot. Sometimes the smaller ones work better...
 

mudprawn

New member
I believe that your height has a lot to do with it. I'm 1.75m and a 6ft net is perfect for me. I find the smaller nets dont "flair" enuf.
 

jb2

Sealiner
Hi Blikkie

Ideally I would go with 2 nets.

One 4 or 5 foot to throw in the surf where you will need repeated casts and are wading in water sometimes as high as your waist

Another big net would be for estuaries where the water is clear and you can see harders swirling around or where you are looking to cover a big area for prawns in the Eastern Cape (Thinking Krom in St Francis and the old Ciskei rivers like the Fish River.)

And don't let them sell you a net with anything but lead weights.

I bought a net a while back and the weights started to rust.

Also when you get the net from the shop, rinse it and leave it overnight in a strong sta soft solution.

Fabric softeners are designed to lubricate the weaves and knots in clothing and work wonders on making nets more supple and "castable".

Don't store or dry a net in the sun and don't store hanging up.
 

Blikkiesvis

Sealiner
Thanks for the replies guys.

@JB2, the fabric softner is interesting. I would have never thought of that. Thanks for the tip.

Also, it makes sense to have a smaller, lighter net to use on the Struisbaai plaat.

I got the last 6ft lead net from a local store. So now the hunt is on for a 4-5ft...

Cheers, have a good one!

Blikkies
 

HENRYHOEK

New member
All you need to know about throwing a cast net

Easy to throw any size with minimal effort

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY8D9ogjqr0
 

Stefan001

Senior Member
jb2 wrote:
Hi Blikkie

Ideally I would go with 2 nets.

One 4 or 5 foot to throw in the surf where you will need repeated casts and are wading in water sometimes as high as your waist

Another big net would be for estuaries where the water is clear and you can see harders swirling around or where you are looking to cover a big area for prawns in the Eastern Cape (Thinking Krom in St Francis and the old Ciskei rivers like the Fish River.)

And don't let them sell you a net with anything but lead weights.

I bought a net a while back and the weights started to rust.

Also when you get the net from the shop, rinse it and leave it overnight in a strong sta soft solution.

Fabric softeners are designed to lubricate the weaves and knots in clothing and work wonders on making nets more supple and "castable".

Don't store or dry a net in the sun and don't store hanging up.

Waist deep water... Haha. If only the mullet on the plaat would be so nice as to stay that shallow.

Been using an 6vt on the plaat for me it's the best. I'm young and probably stupid, and the adage die lui man dra hom dood is made for me. But when the mullet are few and far between a bigger net will produce the goods.
 

jb2

Sealiner
Blikkiesvis wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys.

@JB2, the fabric softner is interesting. I would have never thought of that. Thanks for the tip.

Also, it makes sense to have a smaller, lighter net to use on the Struisbaai plaat.

I got the last 6ft lead net from a local store. So now the hunt is on for a 4-5ft...

Cheers, have a good one!

Blikkies

Hi Blikkies

Another tip is to get into the habit of putting the net back in the bucket so that it is ready to take out and cast.

Put the leads at the bottom and and carefully coil the net over them making sure that all the brailing lines are free and running.

Then make a neat coil with the rope and fasten the coil with the running knot that you put on your wrist.

So next time when you get to the water all you have to do is take the running knot off the coil, put it on your wrist and you know that the net will open.

It saves all the time of spreading the net on the floor and checking the brailing lines etc.
 

jb2

Sealiner
Stefan001 wrote:
jb2 wrote:
Hi Blikkie

Ideally I would go with 2 nets.

One 4 or 5 foot to throw in the surf where you will need repeated casts and are wading in water sometimes as high as your waist

Another big net would be for estuaries where the water is clear and you can see harders swirling around or where you are looking to cover a big area for prawns in the Eastern Cape (Thinking Krom in St Francis and the old Ciskei rivers like the Fish River.)

And don't let them sell you a net with anything but lead weights.

I bought a net a while back and the weights started to rust.

Also when you get the net from the shop, rinse it and leave it overnight in a strong sta soft solution.

Fabric softeners are designed to lubricate the weaves and knots in clothing and work wonders on making nets more supple and "castable".

Don't store or dry a net in the sun and don't store hanging up.

Waist deep water... Haha. If only the mullet on the plaat would be so nice as to stay that shallow.

Been using an 6vt on the plaat for me it's the best. I'm young and probably stupid, and the adage die lui man dra hom dood is made for me. But when the mullet are few and far between a bigger net will produce the goods.

Hi Stefan

I used to fish very hardcore in my younger days. I am only in my mid 40's and now my body reminds me regularly that I am no longer 19.

I stay in muizenberg and fish mostly in False Bay.

I also noticed a while back that there is a treknet fishery between Muizenberg and Strandfontein and I am able to get harders from them.
 
Top