Hi all. Please can you give opinion on what lin

HMGLAPPIES

New member
Hi all.

Please can you give opinion on what line/braid would you prefer for your reels. This coming week i want respool my Sustain 4000 &5000 with Nano or fire line. I have been using fire and are very happy with it, but also been hearing good and bad stories about Nanofil.

Our next trip is in March and we are going too Mazeppa. We will be doing alot of spinning for cob,garrick and shad.

If you have used Nanofil please give your review.


Thanks
 

Moyeni

Sealiner
I have Nanofil 12lb on my Shimano Stradic 5000FJ. Use your old fireline for backing topped with Nanofil.

In my opinion nothing wrong with Nanofil if you know your knots!!!
 

xtc

Senior Member
only ever used fireline once - for no real specific reason I didnt like it - currently using nano on one of my reels - thin, casts like a dream, finicky when it comes to knots ( use the one they recommend ), gets rough and weak after a lot of use around the area I place my finger when casting - braid I have never had any hassles with is power pro

what strength you plannng on using - 300 yards of 12 pound nano on your sustain 5000 will maybe half fill it
 

HMGLAPPIES

New member
Well at Ganis they have the new rage Nanofil availble. On the 4000 i want to use the 0.15 (7,65kg) on the one spool and 0.17 (9.72kg) on the other.
On the 5000 0.22 (14.71kg) and on the other spool 0.25 (17kg).

The 4000 I will use my Speedmaser and 5000 the Areocast.

The big thing is will it last on the rocks and take alot of casts?
 

rylater86

New member
i recently spooled my exceller 4000E with nano 20lb and im impressed on the distance i was capable of getting on it,its super strong i took a piece to test the strength of it after its been rubbed up against the rock it was perished, i hung it up in a tree a started puting weights on it and it broke of at 6,5kg....EVEN more impressed....my opinion its awesome but to tie a leader to nano fill on the beach is no joke never the less at night,only down fall i had.....Hope that helps to your options......
 

HMGLAPPIES

New member
Thanks for the info!

Please post pics of fish that you caught on Nanofil.

I will spool fire line and nanofil on the reels. At least i have backup then.
 

xtc

Senior Member
How did you get on with your nanofil? after being initially impressed with mine I have gone off it completely - it frays way to easily around the finger area - to avoid throwing lures off I was cutting 3 - 4m off basically everytime i fished - I had to constantly check and re check it and once broke it just pulling line off a loose drag

It casts bloody well - is strong, till it frays

I showed the tackle shop where I bought it and their view was that I was just unlucky and got a bad batch (no offer to do anything about it or speak to the rep) - I also emailed berkley international and the the local guys but received no response - the lack of response made me wonder that it might be a bigger problem than just one batch and I did a fair bit of research on overseas forums - it seems the fraying is a common complaint

If i fished one or twice a month for an hour or two I probably would be quite happy - using it daily is not worth the risks of what is ultimately one day, when I miss a frayed spot or in to much of a hurry to cut and retie, gonna lead to tears and a special fish -
 
xtc wrote:
How did you get on with your nanofil? after being initially impressed with mine I have gone off it completely - it frays way to easily around the finger area - to avoid throwing lures off I was cutting 3 - 4m off basically everytime i fished - I had to constantly check and re check it and once broke it just pulling line off a loose drag

It casts bloody well - is strong, till it frays

I showed the tackle shop where I bought it and their view was that I was just unlucky and got a bad batch (no offer to do anything about it or speak to the rep) - I also emailed berkley international and the the local guys but received no response - the lack of response made me wonder that it might be a bigger problem than just one batch and I did a fair bit of research on overseas forums - it seems the fraying is a common complaint

If i fished one or twice a month for an hour or two I probably would be quite happy - using it daily is not worth the risks of what is ultimately one day, when I miss a frayed spot or in to much of a hurry to cut and retie, gonna lead to tears and a special fish -

Seems you are not the only one unhappy. I have been considering it. I want to target 7-8kg dorado on 6lb but I get a feeling it's just too thin. The slightest wear and it's Gone.

I would like to hear from guys who have used it extensively in proper "light tackle" applications.
 

aquadementia

Sealiner
if you want a tough braid, fireline is the way to go... check this website for an idea of actual breaking strength
http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4linetesting.htm

I've also been using power pro, and I havent had a single problem with it. Only slight negative is that it's flat so line twist is very visible. I guess that's actually a good thing..
 

Ant86

Sealiner
Using suffix 832 and Jerry Brown- awesome stuff.

Agree with the above comments, a friend won some nanofil but he has already chucked it as it frays terribly

 

EDIT: Ive spoooled my 2500 stradic with the JB and both the 4000 and 5000 stradics with the 832 - fished them hard targetting barbell off the boat inbetween heavy structure, reeds,trees etc and both braids are still holding up perfectly.
 

Jakes101

New member
xtc wrote:
How did you get on with your nanofil? after being initially impressed with mine I have gone off it completely - it frays way to easily around the finger area - to avoid throwing lures off I was cutting 3 - 4m off basically everytime i fished - I had to constantly check and re check it and once broke it just pulling line off a loose drag

It casts bloody well - is strong, till it frays

I showed the tackle shop where I bought it and their view was that I was just unlucky and got a bad batch (no offer to do anything about it or speak to the rep) - I also emailed berkley international and the the local guys but received no response - the lack of response made me wonder that it might be a bigger problem than just one batch and I did a fair bit of research on overseas forums - it seems the fraying is a common complaint

If i fished one or twice a month for an hour or two I probably would be quite happy - using it daily is not worth the risks of what is ultimately one day, when I miss a frayed spot or in to much of a hurry to cut and retie, gonna lead to tears and a special fish -

Hey XTC, how you doing bud?

Also spooled my 2500 Shimmy with 8lb nanofil last year. Casts like an absolute dream, but I have exactly the same problem of it fraying around the finger area. I also cut off a couple of meters every time I go fishing.... as I have also lost a lure or two when not even pulling very hard.

Very strong for the diameter, casts like a dream and good lure control due to less drag in the water. Fine for when you fish once or twice a month, but if you fish a couple times a week you soon wont have any braid left on your reel.

Then there is always the chance of dropping a fish due to a fray or weak spot you've missed.... plays tricks with your mind and confidence in your tackle.

Will I buy it again..... not until they sort out the fraying issues.
 

xtc

Senior Member
last night must have been a premonition of something - stopped, as I do everyday, to fish a few hours - checked the nanofil, all seemed fine - first cast - tweak tweak, something there and interested, few tweaks more and still there - few more tweaks and vas - leerie - after going vas it basically just swam away with my lure - the nanofil broke as if it was wet tissue paper - no noise, no snap no nothing - now i can deal with throwing off and losing a z claw, whats not so lekke is knowing the blooming fish is swimming with that thing stuck in its mouth - a death sentence for sure I guess

chatted to a mate shortly thereafter and he threw his away after the same hassles - so mine is heading for the fire - to scared to throw it away and some poor guy finds it and tries to use it -

a real pity - it felt really good in the beginning - but my experience of nanofil (12 pound) it is that it gets completely unusuable the more you use it

@aqua - yip have used mostly power pro before - 10 and 15 pound - never had hassles -

lost a bit of faith in berkley - haha even my brand new unused 9ft air that is in the corner of my lounge is getting strange looks from me as I type this and will in all likelihood find itself in the swops before the week is out

@jakes - howzit man - how you doing - long time - ja i guess different people have different experiences with things - but for sure having now reseaerched nanofil a bit better on a variety of forums and blogs we are definitely not alone in the hassles we are having
 

Jakes101

New member
Hey XTC, all well here thanks. Long time ja.

That must have p'd you off big time! Giving a fish a death sentence and loosing a Claw. Damn, I would've been fuming!

Bit disappointing that Berkley turns a blind eye, expected better service from them.

Think I might just take mine off as well now.

I swear Sufix Fuse might even outlast the Nanofil.::S
 

Trophy

Sealiner
Hiya xtc,

I have found that ALL the fused 'Braid' tend to start to come apart after a few sessions. Is the Nanofil braided or strands fused together? Never seen it?

Man...get yourself a spool of Jerry Brown from Enigma on Sealine. I stock the braid and use it on my own grindes and also on my multipliers, top shot and backing.

Sold plenty spools to anglers and never had a single come back. Do a search on google and check the results on Jerry Brown?

Have you tried the locally made HMP braid, cheap as chips, good clour ranges and good diameter Vs lb rating. Well tested in SA conditions by the KZN boyz...local is lekker!
 

xtc

Senior Member
Hi there Trophy - thanks for the post

I have not used any of the fused braids - I heard they fluff up easily and absorb to much water - I do not have experience of this though

If I recall what I read about nanofil is that it is not really a braid - someone who knows a bit more could possibly add some detail

not used the hmp either - previously have always used power pro - never had complaints - at the moment am trying xorus monster braid, 15 pound, that I got from the lure shop - early days but looking very good - also heard good things re suffix 832
 

Limpopoking

Sealiner
xtc wrote:
lost a bit of faith in berkley - haha even my brand new unused 9ft air that is in the corner of my lounge is getting strange looks from me as I type this and will in all likelihood find itself in the swops before the week is out

Definitely no need to give your Air strange looks mate... I have pulled some very strong fish with mine. I'm really sad they have stopped production on them. The Venom (the Air's replacement) doesn't come close in my humble opinion. More to the point tho... why is that Air still unused??? ;)
 

Veldmuis

New member
Nanofil is a great casting line,no doubt. I get at least 30m more when casting with Nanofil in comparison to a similar setup with Power Pro. I used Nanofil mostly on a light tackle surf setup for Langebaan etc. The knots are tricky and especially if you try tying Nanofil to F/Carbon leader. The bimini sorted me out on that one. But fishing where drifting kelp or sandbanks with slightly rough egdes are around, Nanofil is a no, no! Lost too many fish for no reason - the line just popped for no reason. Took the Nanofil off the reel and enjoying Power Pro again.
 
Top