Hi all I might be off to mauritius soon and am

Nick

Senior Member
Hi all

I might be off to mauritius soon and am keen to take my light stuff with. Can any one give me some info on type of baits/lures etc. And also if anyone has been there and can advise on some spots and some pointers it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Nick
 

Streak

New member
Nick,
I have done a great deal of fly fishing there with a lot of success in the lagoon (area between the reef and the beach).

Species include small kingies, rock cod, flute nose, barracuda and others, all quite small but great fun on a 5wt outfit.

There is no reason why your dropshot stuff will not work however I would suggest a light outfit that you can cast 1/16 and 1/8 oz jigs.

I know the island quite well, let me know where you will be staying. I also know a really good ex SA Mauritian guide who really knows his stuff if you want to treat yourself to a good days inshore or reef fishing .
 
Hi Nick,

1/2oz to 2oz jigs, hook sizes 1/0 - 5/0
5" and 7" Gulp jerkshad - Chartreuse pepper neon, Sugar spice glow, Watermelon neon, Cherry seed and Nuclear chicken.
5" Powerbait jerkshad - Pearl white, Pearl watermelon.

On the lighter stuff,
1/8oz to 1/2oz jigs, hook size 1 - 2/0
Also 5" as above
3" and 4"  Sparkle minnows in PWSSC, PSSC, POSSC, SMLTSC.

I'm certain that if you use these, you will get good fish and if you go with the heavier stuff you might even get a couple of personal bests.

P.S. Fireline not heavier than 14lbs and use a flouro leader of about the same breaking strain.

::tight: 
 

Nick

Senior Member
Thanks guys, Im starting to get excited!

Are there any decent non eds there if I take the kit?
 

Streak

New member
For the non eds you will need to go deep sea and will be charged big time for the boat.

There is no non ed fishing from the beach.

The tackle the Van mentions would be OK off the reef but it may be too big for the lagoon. Max hook size I would look at for this area is number 1 and 3" on the minnow.

Small bucktail jigs would be fantastic as well.

If you have a fly rod take it with some small saltwater flies. If you dont have one and want the best sport them get an inexpensive 5wt floating line outfit get a few lessons and have the time of your life.
 
Hi Streak,

It is a national misconception, that Dropshot is meant for rats and mice and not big fish, even in the lagoon you will get some monsters and fishing with tiny, tiny lures will get you lots of small fish. On a 7" jerkshad, I have caught fish that are the same size as the lure. I'm not looking for trouble with you, but it sounds like even you can benefit from going a few sizes up.  

My preferred lure for juvinile fish is 3" & 4" Power bait minnows, in a place with gin clear water more neutral colours, 1/4oz 1/0 jig. this will also get you alot of bigger small fish...... more fun.

Cheers Van 
 

Streak

New member
Van,
I agree with you on using larger lures and plan to go up a hook and lure size or 2 on my S coast trip next month.

However, I have dived and snorkelled the Mauritius area extensively over the last 12 years. The locals have killed almost everything in the lagoon and I have not seen much big stuff just the other side of the reef as well.

I just want Nick to be prepared in the event that he does not get much on the larger stuff.

Clouser's, Charlies in orange are deadly. I had some small ones specially tied up for casting with my 5 wt.

This year was the first time I caught barracudas on this outfit in the lagoon.
 

Dingleberry

Senior Member
[color=#006600]Van The Fisher Man[/color] wrote:
Hi Streak,

It is a national misconception, that Dropshot is meant for rats and mice and not big fish, even in the lagoon you will get some monsters and fishing with tiny, tiny lures will get you lots of small fish. On a 7" jerkshad, I have caught fish that are the same size as the lure. I'm not looking for trouble with you, but it sounds like even you can benefit from going a few sizes up.  

My preferred lure for juvinile fish is 3" & 4" Power bait minnows, in a place with gin clear water more neutral colours, 1/4oz 1/0 jig. this will also get you alot of bigger small fish...... more fun.

Cheers Van 

Good point there Van. In the Eastern Cape I have caught <1kg Karel GO on 7" jerkshad! They were not much longer than the bait. I also regularly catch 5-8kg fish with 3" minnows. Going bigger can't hurt - it certainly could attract a better adversary.

Which side of Mauritius are you going to. I fished near the airport a few weeks ago and got a good snapper/emporer of +-3.5kg (?) - got bust up a few times too. I was using a 4" swimming mullet. It seemed the swim tail was the treat that day. Jerk baits produced nothing. There are some great cliffs in the area with good deep water and reef off them. I reckon one could pick up anything there.
 

Nick

Senior Member
Thanks so much guys.
Ill be at Port Louise. Im really looking forward to it!

@ Streak and Dingleberry : What is the place like? Ive never been there before, and am not really sure what to expect. Is it hot? Are the locals friendly? Is there a lot of crime? Thanks
 

Long John

New member
Nick,

You will enjoy Mauritius tremendously. Although much of the reef bottom fish was decimated by the effluent of the sugarcane fertilisers, thereby breaking the food chain in the waters around Mauritius, sugarcane farming is not as widely practised anymore as in the 1970' and 80's.

Life is again returning to the inshore reefs, and over many years I have observed bottoms and pelagics return.

You will do very well with dropshot on the innerside of the reefs as well as on the outer open side. As soon as you get there, ask and shop around urgently for a small motorised type fishing boat with a local guide who will know the spots well - they cost next to nothing for a day's fishing compared to the bigger fishing outfits. Watch the beach as they patrol up and down advertising their services for guys like you. They are negotiable so make sure you get a good price.

You might want to go out to deeper blue water on a day or two, but for that best to ask and bargain around as prices can differ substantialy.

I have been above Port Louis quite a few times at/in an area called Grand Baie. There are catamarans that charter everyday (weather permitting) to an Island north from there called Isle au Cerfs. These boats have offices at the small marina/quay in the Gran Baie, but you can also book at most popular hotels and arrange transport to Gran Baie.

Although you cant fish of the boat with other tourists on while cruising to the Island, once there and anchored for the day (while they braai for you) you will be free to fish but remember it is a marine reserve and you will have to release all you catch.  I have never seen so many fish in my life and took great pleasure (on a number of occasions) to create feeding frenzies throwing crusts of bread at the fish. I have vowed to return to fish there, but first have few other destinations to try.

Mauritius is a very friendly and safe place, you will not ever feel threatened. I am sure there is some petty crime and have in the past been warned to avoid the "slummy" areas of Port Louis. 

You will be visiting during the good months for fishing, prepare for very humid and hot conditions.

Good luck, hope you will give us a recount and show photo's of all your wonderful experiences.
 

Streak

New member
Nick,
I have been to Port Louis a number of times.
Are you actually going there for an extended stay based in Port Louis or there on holiday at a hotel near Port Louis?
 

Nick

Senior Member
Wow LJ thank you so much for that info! Im going to be there for a while(2 years) so I hope to make some great memories. I might also call on a couple of my sealine mates to mail me more tackle if needed.(hopefully)
 

Long John

New member
Well Nick,

If you are going to spend two years there you will have all the time in the world to explore and experiment. Much better off and fortunate than most of us.

Mauritius is actualy a "quiet" place so depending on the expat friendships you develop, you will have all the time in the world to fish. I am sure you will be able to team up with others who share your interests and passion for fishing.

Good luck and please keep us informed, sure in a few months you will be able to give us advice and point us towards the best fishing spots.

Check out Van's Dropshot DVD, you will see all and a variety that you will need in Mauritius as conditions and species are very similar to Mozambique.  Have a hunch though that too much and variety will not be as readily available there as in all my visits never saw any serious tackle shops like we know here, except general type traders with typical beginners combo types' and of course then on the other scale, very high grade up-scale deep-sea equipment but very pricey.
 

Streak

New member
Nick,
South of Port Louis (30 minute buss ride) is a village called Flic en Flac.
There is a public beach there which is a small bay having a great set of rocks heading out towards the reef.
Casting off these rocks at the correct tide has produced some good results.

If you continue along the beach heading south toward La Pirogue, Sugar Beach etc. hotels the fishing in the lagoon area is very productive.

Continue even further South (I have walked it a few times) and you get to Tamarin Bay which is open to the sea and you get some good specimens there also.

There are many other great spots around the Island.

Oh and did I say you should get a 5wt fly rod with a floating line for hours of fun?
 

DWB

Sealiner
My suggestion would be to take a small multiplier reel and a boat rod with for trawling. Also take plenty crankbaits aswell. Had some good pick ups but the locals' tackle is up to scratch..........

TAKE PLENTY DROPSHOT GEAR
 
Top