Hi all, I am new to these forums, but have view

Mattski

New member
Hi all,

I am new to these forums, but have viewed many topics over the years and found the site to be great...So I have finally joined :)

I live in Durban and have always been a bass fisherman, but a few years ago I went out on a friend's ski on the sea and really loved it. I was lucky enough to go a few more times since then and I simply have to get out there more often.

I have an old "Epic Getaway" two man Kayak and I always thought that it wouldn't work as a sea fishing ski, but I was looking around on the net and it seems that alot of fishermen use very similar looking skis. Can anyone please tell me if this kayak is suitable for use in the sea. I used to use it on dams for bass fishing and that was great, but I really just don't have the experience to know if this will work in the sea.

I am quite good at paddling and was able to get out on an evolution my first time and every other, but this ski is a bit more wobbly so thought I'd rather ask before going on a big mission and failing....

Here is a link that shows some product info and pictures.      http://www.hondamarineknysna.co.za/kayaks/epic.html

Thanks in advance for any help

Matt
 

iggy

Sealiner
Can't see why not. Nothing wrong with that ski, unless you not 2 adults kayaking? Wud be more stable with 2 guys on it I think.
 

Mattski

New member
Thanks very much for the reply. I will indeed be using this with one of my mates. So there will be a bit of weight, experience and elboy grease power.

I'm pretty stoked someone else thinks it will work....now all i have to do is get out there and try it!

Wobble girl here I come.

Regards
Matt
 

oomfaan

Senior Member
Looks like the perfect basic platform to fish from, you just have to customize it too your requirements.
 

Pdoooubleu

New member
I also agree that it would work fine!Even more so with 2 people on. You just have to figure out where you are going to store you're gear,bait and also where you're going to put you're rods when trolling. Make sure that you're gear is secured so if you might tip that nothing gets lost.

Securing you're gear would be you're first priority along with rod holders
 

Malgas

Senior Member
Hi Matt, just a word of caution, I think if you are going to use this type of ski offshore take a "little by little" approach and choose your launch conditions. ie. Go out at Vechies Pier or the like initially -on a day with light winds and low swell- preferably with someone who is ok if you do bail. Only take the basic equipment you need and secure it well. Try a bail or too in good conditions and see how it goes in terms of uprighting the ski etc. Although the brief says lake and sea- remember it is designed by Chalupsky who could handle any ski anywhere. The one downside for offshore is this has no rudder system so probably would get easily blown around in bad conditions. My 2c.
 

Mattski

New member
Hi guys,

Thanks for your thoughts -really appriciate it. As for securing rods ect, I have had the pleasure of seeing my mate get pummled by waves and know the importance of rod leashes and securing EVERYTHING :)

In terms of taking it slowly - best advice you could give someone. I think I have a healthy respect for the sea and I will not be diving in head first so to speak. So I am going to head to addington when I can get the boat there and I won't be taking any fishing gear, but I'll paddle around and practise bailing off for a while and just get used to the feel of it in the sea.

If I like the feel and am happy it will do the job like the other ski's I've used, well then it's hobby time.... I'll start kitting it out for fishing and get some roof racks. From there the couta and natal snoek better watch out!

It might be a little while, but I'll give my 2 cents on how it does in the sea! thanks again all, love  the advice!

Matt
 

sz80d8

New member
Hi Matski
I'm also looking at buying the same model. How's the ski - comfort, paddling etc. Have you made any mods to yours?
 

mattalica

New member
Hi,

I tried the kayak out at sea and I wasn't that pleased. I certainly will not use the kayak as a fishing kayak as it is just not safe enough nor is it functional for fishing at all.

I launched the kayak in pretty decent conditions and it really punched waves well, and it really got out quickly, but the seating and footing areas get filled right to the top making launching pretty scary :)The scupper holes did not empty sufficiently to compensate.

The kayak is not nearly as stable as normal fishing ski's and sits too deep in the water.

The kayak is however perfect for leisure and paddling on inland river and dams, as well as very calm days out at sea provided that there are virtually no waves, and you don't intend on going far out, or going terribly far.

I hope that helps, if you need any elaboration....just shout.

Regards
Matt
 

sz80d8

New member
Thanks for that advice!
I am sure that I will venture into the big blue sea one day, so I will try to get something suitable.
Did you get another 2 man ski for sea fishing?
 

Fredster

Senior Member
Hi there,
I have paddled the epic, and in my early days owned (and used alot) a mac explorer, which is based on the epic, except for FG construction and a little more beam. To all intents they share the same characteristics and flaws.

How much you like or dislike them depends on how often and under what conditions you have used them. They are cool estuary/ river and maybe close inshore FLAT sea RECREATIONAL craft, fine for mucking about occasionally, BUT they cannot be classed as fishing skis, for all the reasons already mentioned (design, storage functionality etc)
The seaworthiness alone of conventional established fishing kayaks is just streets ahead of these craft.
If you want to truly scare yourself, try paddling one of these into a headwind with short chop a way from shore....you are sitting in a full bathtub with no freeboard...

In conclusion, use it if you have it, but be wary of it limitations, build your experience and competence with the craft carefully and gradually in safe conditions, and make your own decisions from there. good luck and keep it safe.

Regarding fishing ski doubles..... i think its a bit of a one horse race: Stealth evo double. i have their older model duo and use it alot with my boys - it has always been safe and dependable in some very poor conditions.

Regards
F
 

sz80d8

New member
Thanks Fredster!
I was going to take the epic kayak when a guy at work offered to sell it to me. I guess I need to get informed before rushing into buying one.
I also read that it is critical to go for a test run.
 

Fredster

Senior Member
Your'e welcome.. it really depends what you want to do with it and how frequently, as to whether it will be a good choice. Two other mates on the forum here in PE also have stealth evo doubles. The doubles tend to be alot harder to find than singles. And of course you have to always have to have a bum to fill the other seat or the trip ain't happening, i suppose thats why the guys that have doubles also at some point end up with singles too....

Re the Epic Definitely try before you buy...and obviously the pricing is also a factor as to being able to sell it on again when you upgrade

you can pm me if you have queries.
 
Top