Hi all, Going to Eagle Waters next weekend has

Robr

New member
Hi all,

Going to Eagle Waters next weekend has anyone been to this venue lately and have any advise, baits, cast distance etc?

Greatly Appreciated.

:ifishin
 

chandre

New member
hi robr
dit is een van my gunsteling hengel spots om te gaan hengel by harties die hiesinte kan so biki pla maar wat lekker daar werk is n rose milie op altwee hoeke biki perdeby kap kap en r2k en die ander stok perdeby stattofords en guru van trucilla (musk) met rose milie en n almond degie , kast so ver as wat jy kan alwat ekkan se is hengel diep diep diep hoop dit sal jou n biki help
 

Robr

New member
Hi chandre,

baie dankie vir jou antwoord dit lyk bietjie moeilik om inligting te kry oor die venue. Hoe is die geriewe en sekuriteit, wat kamp plekke sal jy aanbeveel?
 

chandre

New member
Dit is baie veilig die dag besoekers en die kampeer gronde is geskei van mekaar so die dag besoekkers kan glad nie on kom by die kampeer plek nie, daar is wagte by elke ingang en hek , die amblisie blokke is mooi skoon en groot en kan jy dan ook sproie ligte saam vat want by elke stand is daar elektrisiteid verskaf ,maar baie veilig en die spar is net so 1km weg van die oor baie gerieflike plek
 

bassbug

New member
i have heard of some horrible attacks near the old steel bridge, far right hand corner of the property. people have been attacked and robbed. things may of changed but i doubt it because of people on foot use this brigde to cross over to meerhof and behind the rail tracks there are homeless living
 

Robr

New member
@ bassbug & chandre, I am going to this venue the weekend so thanks for you tips and advise I will be sure to give a full report once I am back!
 

woofles

Member
eagle water day visitors section to the far right
baits - plain white float + swd backing, tutti frutti float + swd backing, just swd of the hook

dips - fx, banjo yellow, banjo red, tutti frutti, tcp
powders - sa powder with extra floro, custod powder
 

Robr

New member
My apologies for only posting a reply to this topic now, things have just been hectic at work.

We managed to go to the venue over the long weekend in the beginning of the month. I must say we were looking forward to the getaway and for myself I was really keen on getting my lines wet.

First impressions seemed good, day visitors are separated from campers so this seemed promising, from a privacy and security point of view. Contrary to many comments there was no concern for safety (but this is speaking from the camping side and not the day visitors side) nothing went missing and the guards patrolled regularly.

The camp stands are very narrow, a mere 10m which to my mind is not a comfortable width. Not all stands have braai areas, in fact the one we stayed on had nothing which was a bit of a thorn in the side (as a first time camper I was not prepared for this). Ablution facilities were good clean & serviced daily.

When it comes to fishing I can say there wasn't much to be had. The camp sites are in front of open water far away from the river on the day visitors side. As such boats and jet ski's whizzed past every now and then. One fool in a boat insisted on coming 80m away from the bank and making "donuts" in the water and being a real TOOL!

Fishing for me wasn't great at all, as a matter of fact on the bank of about 20 anglers I never saw a single fish come out the whole weekend, not even a guppy. The wind picks up and creates little waves in the water and turns up algae which gets tangled on your lines and makes it very unpleasant to try and reel on with sludge stuck on 20m of line. There were guys fishing all distances with bait boats, row boats and casting; distances from 60-200m and nothing, not even the specimen guys had any luck.

Not to mention the people either side of us, who made a noise all day and most of the night long. Who rocks up to a venue with a hifi? Needless to say I was not happy. The best time for fishing was had one morning from 5:00am when everyone was sleeping until about 9:00 when eventually the neighbors arose and the wind picked up. But even this managed to be challenging as the previous night I reeled in my lines due to poor wind conditions, after casting out the next morning I found my neighbor had cast his lines in over my stand causing crossed lines.

Baits used. I tried everything, floaties, mielie, dough, boldips and flavours all suggested and even others of my own, nothing not a single bite the whole weekend. Floating baits, sinking baits, you name it. I believe the water is too dirty and that the baits get covered up in the water with the algae and silt due to the conditions. Thus not presenting to the fish - if there are any in these waters.

Maybe someone can suggest a way of combating this. Overall, nice place to visit if you looking for a affordable weekend away close to JHB; but I will personally not be back to fish this venue as in my opinion it is more orientated to weekend getaways and water sport activities not fishing.

I would welcome comments from other anglers on their experiences at the venue, as I may be giving it a harsh review.
 

Robr

New member
Some pics of the water; the only time its was this calm

1.
 

Attachments

  • DSC03455.JPG
    DSC03455.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 357

woofles

Member
i personally found that fishing on the day visitors side produced much more fish than camping but that probably cause i've only been in the camping area twice.

heres some my wife and i caught on the 17th August 2013
 

Attachments

  • 17 Aug 2013.1.jpg
    17 Aug 2013.1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 268
Top