Kalahari fish
New member
Hey guys, I really struggle getting any bites from carp, fishing the Orange-River.
I've went fishing in the Vaal-river and at Krugersdrift dam and catching the carp there was surprisingly easy.
It wasn't big guys, but they put up a good fight and at least bite with regular succession without me even having to feed a lot.
Anyway the last time I landed a carp in the Orange was when I was about 9, which were about the 2kg range. Unfortunately I can't remember what bait/rig I used as I was more interested in catching crabs in the small ponds.
I did however hook a carp about 2 years ago in the river on a farm, but I lost it due to being too lazy and trying to play it over some floating roots at the side. However this carp was so secretive in it's bite that I thought it was the current that dragged my line to the side, there wasn't even a clicking drag (I fish with almost no resistance on the drag) or a dipping rod.
This summer at the same stretch of the river I saw a nice medium size carp, just after sunrise sifting through the sand right at the edge of the water, as I spooked it walking by and saw it's nice big orange tail flicking it into the deep. I tried relentlessly fishing that same spot the whole day with floaties, dough ,pop-up's miellies and they didn't even try picking up the bait, or the miellie feed. Later on in the day that same carp (or a different one) made a nice big jump close to the bank, just to tease me.
So if anybody can advise me on line, rigs, hooks ,baits hook sizes and choosing my casting spots specifically aimed at the Orange river, I would really appreciate it.
I am currently using commen mono filament for my hook links and rietvlei rigs (the same I used in the vaal & krugers drift) I really want to buy other line for my hook links, as they are very stiff and have a high memory, but have no idea what are good choices for sensitive fish.
I regularly catch yellows and muddies as well as baber and even a rock catfish, but I really want to try for a nice Orange-River carp.
Thanx guys.
I've went fishing in the Vaal-river and at Krugersdrift dam and catching the carp there was surprisingly easy.
It wasn't big guys, but they put up a good fight and at least bite with regular succession without me even having to feed a lot.
Anyway the last time I landed a carp in the Orange was when I was about 9, which were about the 2kg range. Unfortunately I can't remember what bait/rig I used as I was more interested in catching crabs in the small ponds.
I did however hook a carp about 2 years ago in the river on a farm, but I lost it due to being too lazy and trying to play it over some floating roots at the side. However this carp was so secretive in it's bite that I thought it was the current that dragged my line to the side, there wasn't even a clicking drag (I fish with almost no resistance on the drag) or a dipping rod.
This summer at the same stretch of the river I saw a nice medium size carp, just after sunrise sifting through the sand right at the edge of the water, as I spooked it walking by and saw it's nice big orange tail flicking it into the deep. I tried relentlessly fishing that same spot the whole day with floaties, dough ,pop-up's miellies and they didn't even try picking up the bait, or the miellie feed. Later on in the day that same carp (or a different one) made a nice big jump close to the bank, just to tease me.
So if anybody can advise me on line, rigs, hooks ,baits hook sizes and choosing my casting spots specifically aimed at the Orange river, I would really appreciate it.
I am currently using commen mono filament for my hook links and rietvlei rigs (the same I used in the vaal & krugers drift) I really want to buy other line for my hook links, as they are very stiff and have a high memory, but have no idea what are good choices for sensitive fish.
I regularly catch yellows and muddies as well as baber and even a rock catfish, but I really want to try for a nice Orange-River carp.
Thanx guys.
We only use the sweetcorn from original dips as well...

