Hey guys Considering buying some new coffee gri

rabbit

New member
:fishn  Just bought my SG 8000 waiting for Neptune to calm the seas to test it.Will let you know how it goes.
 

AndriesH

Sealiner
Nice one rabbit - enjoy it.
Here are a few pics of the Penn Pro-Elite 4000.
I took them after we came back from T-kei when I cleaned it.
http://www.sealine.bluecity.co.za/index.php?level=collection&id=3
 

ian combe

New member
Will 101 ,
I meant to post back but been full tilt ~ The slammer 560 is not ok for jigging ~ I can only pull 9kg's of drag ~ you can't stop a bus with that . In every other respect it's bomb proof . I heard there is a 750 slammer now , maybe the drag rating is higher .

ian
 

Joff

New member
Dorado75 wrote:
Whatever you do dont even look and the Penn Applause, its a piece of crap.... made by Jarvis walker with a Penn Badge on!!

Dorado.

Please elaborate a little on why you say this, what happened, what size was the one that gave you grief, what type of work was it doing when it played up etc. the reason I’m asking is because I have a 6000 and find it brilliant on a shad stick and was thinking of getting a smaller one for lighter work. But if you have had problems then I need to rethink. I’m not questioning your integrity; just sometimes one has a bad experience and then even a fair to good product gets a whipping. I’ve even seen, Toyota 4x4s get a lashing lol…      
 

TOE 007

Sealiner
i have an oldish Penn Grinder , for estuary fishing , some of the first models , i dont know wht model , i can say they are bullet proof , and trust me mine has fell of Bakkies in mud , ect ect . just rinse and reel again and again , after 7 years of fishing with that reel i will not sell it ever ever ...
 

ian combe

New member
Have just purchased the Penn Slammer 760 ~ This is a serious peice of kit !! ~ Have had the 560 for 18 months and know what it's capable of ~ the 760 is a different animal altogether ~ rather like comparing a warthog with a rhino . For those wondering if jigging was possible with a 560 ( not ) the 760 in my opinion would handle it . ~ Drag is quoted at 12.5 kg , the 560 quoted at 7.5 kg ( mine still pulls 9 kg and is half goosed from sharks ) ~ will spool up and test but I think it is seriously underated . ~ At a cost of less than than the equivelent of R900 in the UK , it has to be the bargain of the century ( the 560 cost me more than double that 18 mths ago ) Am going to use it for spinning GT's .
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0997.JPG
    IMG_0997.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 300

Tristar

Banned
Joff wrote:
Dorado75 wrote:
Whatever you do dont even look and the Penn Applause, its a piece of crap.... made by Jarvis walker with a Penn Badge on!!

Dorado.

Please elaborate a little on why you say this, what happened, what size was the one that gave you grief, what type of work was it doing when it played up etc. the reason I’m asking is because I have a 6000 and find it brilliant on a shad stick and was thinking of getting a smaller one for lighter work. But if you have had problems then I need to rethink. I’m not questioning your integrity; just sometimes one has a bad experience and then even a fair to good product gets a whipping. I’ve even seen, Toyota 4x4s get a lashing lol…      
Jarvis Walker belongs to the same company that owns Penn. Its a simple formality for Penn to order Penn Econo-Lines from the same Chinese factory and merely stamp them with the Penn Logo's. 

These are Cheap Chinese reels attempted to be passed of as quality and sold at 200% percent profit.

But you should know that Joff...  
 

ian combe

New member
As may be or not ~ made in China under licence ~ I have spin fished from South Pier to Senegal over a 30 yr period and trashed a lot of gear over time ~ the 560 has worked hard and stood the test with fish that should never have been hooked up to it ~ works for me that's for sure .
 

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
AD97 wrote:
Hey guys

Considering buying some new coffee grinders for the river that can be used for bait and dropshot, wanna get my dad into dropshot. I have heard about the Penn Sargus, and some other Penns. I love Penn so much but they havent produced quality in a number of years in terms of multipliers for the surf, when I heard they brought out spinning reels I was over the moon.

Any comments on Penn coffee grinders?
Penn has a good range, I use lots on my boat and they have performed well
 

will101

Senior Member
Joff wrote:
Dorado75 wrote:
Whatever you do dont even look and the Penn Applause, its a piece of crap.... made by Jarvis walker with a Penn Badge on!!

Dorado.

Please elaborate a little on why you say this, what happened, what size was the one that gave you grief, what type of work was it doing when it played up etc. the reason I’m asking is because I have a 6000 and find it brilliant on a shad stick and was thinking of getting a smaller one for lighter work. But if you have had problems then I need to rethink. I’m not questioning your integrity; just sometimes one has a bad experience and then even a fair to good product gets a whipping. I’ve even seen, Toyota 4x4s get a lashing lol…      
 

Hi Joff I think I know what happened with that reel as I had the same issue recently after spooling with lighter braid on my Applause3000.

D75 mentioned the line coming off in bunches and getting all knotted basically causing you to cut off and discard long lengths of line.

 This happened to me twice now with the thinner braid (20lbs vs 50lbs) What sometimes happens is when you flip the bail arm and start retrieving, the line is actually wound around the outer body of the spool as opposed to the spool itself. This is beacause the line failed to locate the roller on the bail arm properly. now when you re-cast without noticing this, all the line wound over the spool like that comes off in one big bunch.

I have now learned to watch the line on the first couple of winds to make sure it's being wound on correctly.

I have already mentioned the other issues but the only additional thing I found recently on both the 3000 and 8000 is that the bearing inside the roller on the bail arm packs up and makes a hell of a noise. I cannot seem to get this thing removed or get some grease in there to shut it up so I've learned to live with it.

The Slammer 760 is right at the top of my shopping list, thanks Ian for the heads-up.

I think I'm just a loyal PENN fan because it's what I grew up with and I'm still using my very 1st PENN I got 30 years ago. It's a PENN85, original condition, only now it's sporting an aluminium spool full of 50lbs braid.
 

ian combe

New member
Hi Will 101 ,

                     The 760 is available at  www.tackle.co.uk  for £67.49 + carriage , I think that is roughly + R800 . I miss my jigmaster ~ sold 15 yrs ago ~ big mistake .

Ian
 

J A M

Member
I have always been agreat fan of Penn reels. I had the 500L;500SH;49A and some others.

I believe that since they are no longer made in U.S.A there has been a decrease in the quality of the murchandise. Perhaps you could post a product review should you deside to purchase one?

I bought a Shimano Sedona 4000. The reel is not too heavy as to make dropshotting with it difficult and it is very good for river fishing. The best thing for me is that the 4 ballbearing version (old one) was not as expensive as the Daiwa excellar. You can readilly still get the 4 ballbearing version at around R550 (new one is retailing for R+-800).

But please, if you deside to purchase the Penn, even if it is a PM, please let me know how you find it.

 
 

Pargo Man

Sealiner
China Line...

when they reached the German mass market sometime in 2005... or was it early 2006 (?), I had just managed to break my friend Xico's 105 silverline during a buiz trip to Angola. The Aluminium foot just broke off. No way to repair.

So I choose the "sales" SSM 850 to replace it, then over the past 3 years added the SSM 650 4.7 : 1 highspeed (with an aftermarket fighting knob), then 3 SSM950s.

Since 2006 November I am resident in Angola and you bet does Xico still take me fishing here... needless to say: we take the 850 and her 950 sisters out every time trolling for big game, and when we troll past some debris or buoys we take the spinners for a quick dorado or two.

After three seasons, the 650 front break knob has broken in the middle. The 850 and 950s have some corrosion, manageable. On the last trip we hit rough weather and the bouncing about must have weakened the bail screws, so they came appart. We found all pieces and quickly re-assembled the reel even in those choppy waves.

Limits? Yes, 30 lbs mono for dorados and top max 50 lbs braid for casting from the shore. We use the reels for free water stuff, not to exert max drag and expect to dead stop an AJ 100m down or a Cubera by the cliffs. There must be more capable reels for such stopper applications... am I right, but then we talk not 100 Euros in a fisherman's supermarket in Germany, rather 700 USD upwards out of Japan or Korea...

Cordially, PARGO
 

Attachments

  • 850er und 650er SSM Vergleich.jpg
    850er und 650er SSM Vergleich.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 174
Top