Help Needed

Ash24

New member
Hi Gents

I have a Loomis and Franklin Shockwave 13" 3-4oz. What I want to know is how good of a rod is it? What is the heaviest sinker that i can go to while using this rod? Do I have to stay within the 3-4oz mark?

Also I have an old Penn Jigmaster which was given to me. Just starting to fish with multiplier reels. Are all multiplier reels that hard to work and is there anyway to stop my thumb from getting 2nd degree burns. Please help!^^..

Will it be sufficient for a fisherman like me who only targets edibles?

Thanks!
 

wp34

Sealiner
Ash, the way I see it is, the 3-4 ounce rating on the rod is only a guideline. What I have found is you can ,normally, go 1 maybe 2 ounces heavier on your rod. If your sinker starts bending the rod tip when holding it horizontally, the sinker is too heavy. I cannot comment on the rod ,but from what ive heard and read, Loomis and Franklins arent bad at all. On my Assassin Medium it states 5-6 ounce, I have used an 8 ounce on it already in heavy wind conditions. It is too heavy for the tip ,but, I only use it when the wind is klapping my distance back!!! On the reel burning your thumb, you can turn the spool adjustment a bit tighter. The knob on the left(non handle side) until the sinker falls freely when in freespool. The best would be to reel a sinker all the way up to the tip of the rod. Now ,thumb on the spool, engage freespool(like you were going to cast) and raise the rod to almost vertical. Let go of your line and let the sinker hit the ground. When it hits the ground, it should uncoil about 2 loose coils on the reel and then stop. Jigmaster's are old technology reels ,but , have caught millions of fish. Perfect for edibles. Just remember one thing. Gary Player always said "the more I pratice, the luckier I get" Nothing can substiute practice. Go to the beach with no hooks,bait, nothing. One or 2 sinkers of different weights (3-4-5 ounce) and practise your casting.

Hope this helps

Brian

 
 

Sailfish

Sealiner
Sealine - F.A.Q's and Articles
Frequently Asked Questions and Articles - Knots, Leaders, Bag limits, etc, etc
Sub Forums:

Casting (44|813)
All your questtions you need to search first. 99% of all you whant to know. Search first.
Welcome to Sealine :welk1::slr::
 

sparky2009

Senior Member
the missus fishes with a l & f 3-4 oz she chucks a 5 oz without hassle, she's also pulled a langebaan smoothie on hers i can really say the rod impresses me
 
Top