Had a lovely Easter weekend at Santa Maria “Hells Gateâ€
Malboer and myself decided Wednesday afternoon to leave for Santa Maria early Thursday morning and give the “Gate†a go although there is horror stories from guys with Ski boats but we wanted to try it on the Pro Fishas….We would never knew if not trying it ourselves…our only reference was a Zulu-Extreme warning in 2011..
Got camping space at Bemugi’s and as always Hetta was super…The camp is clean, nice ablution and power point…(5 star against Mili)
We walked the 3.6 km to the point that night on full moon and the perception was that it could be possible to launch through the “gateâ€
Early Friday morning paddled the estuary looking for the deeper channels pulling Macs and due to the outgoing tide it was wild through the gate and we called it…
On return needed to park the yaks about 1 km from where we entered that morning at day break ..It was dry up to the camp …(Low, low)
Took the family for a nice swim at Ponta A’Brill and tried some drop shots ..strangely no success.. Possibility of Kayak launch looks good if you could pass the shore dump..
With the wind almost zero Saturday morning we tackled the gate again and went through the “gate†almost in the dark on the outgoing tide but was forced North alongside Inhaca into a kind of bay with 6 to 8 meter water……
There was a physical wall of waves about 400 meters from shore were the current met the sea and very, very un predictive…
We went closer and backed up few times and made the decision that it would not be wise to try…For me at least…
Had a nice run in the “Bay†but was dropped..
Beached at the south point of Inhaca and Malboer drifted bait out in the rushing current..and was taken by a Bony…..
Couple of Brozies was swimming upstream into the estuary…
(GO –Pro Battery flat again)
Surely there is certain times when the gate will be safe to launch but the width of that window is very small..and we needed more time to be sure and find that window…Might get out but return is questionable …
Really appreciated my Pro Fisha…… paddling against a 7 km/h current and 12 knot head wind and kept moving with my physique ? …Super yak..!
Sunday morning we almost found the yaks floating from where we left it due to the spring high…Did not launch but packed and took the 5 hour trip back..
Any tips and suggestions on launching at Hells gate will be appreciated because it is a lovely place and entering the coordinates into the GPS at my house before departure it showed 172 km to destinatition……
(5 hours)…I will surely visit it again….
The Pic does not justify the real feel...
Malboer and myself decided Wednesday afternoon to leave for Santa Maria early Thursday morning and give the “Gate†a go although there is horror stories from guys with Ski boats but we wanted to try it on the Pro Fishas….We would never knew if not trying it ourselves…our only reference was a Zulu-Extreme warning in 2011..
Got camping space at Bemugi’s and as always Hetta was super…The camp is clean, nice ablution and power point…(5 star against Mili)
We walked the 3.6 km to the point that night on full moon and the perception was that it could be possible to launch through the “gateâ€
Early Friday morning paddled the estuary looking for the deeper channels pulling Macs and due to the outgoing tide it was wild through the gate and we called it…
On return needed to park the yaks about 1 km from where we entered that morning at day break ..It was dry up to the camp …(Low, low)
Took the family for a nice swim at Ponta A’Brill and tried some drop shots ..strangely no success.. Possibility of Kayak launch looks good if you could pass the shore dump..
With the wind almost zero Saturday morning we tackled the gate again and went through the “gate†almost in the dark on the outgoing tide but was forced North alongside Inhaca into a kind of bay with 6 to 8 meter water……
There was a physical wall of waves about 400 meters from shore were the current met the sea and very, very un predictive…
We went closer and backed up few times and made the decision that it would not be wise to try…For me at least…
Had a nice run in the “Bay†but was dropped..
Beached at the south point of Inhaca and Malboer drifted bait out in the rushing current..and was taken by a Bony…..
Couple of Brozies was swimming upstream into the estuary…
(GO –Pro Battery flat again)
Surely there is certain times when the gate will be safe to launch but the width of that window is very small..and we needed more time to be sure and find that window…Might get out but return is questionable …
Really appreciated my Pro Fisha…… paddling against a 7 km/h current and 12 knot head wind and kept moving with my physique ? …Super yak..!
Sunday morning we almost found the yaks floating from where we left it due to the spring high…Did not launch but packed and took the 5 hour trip back..
Any tips and suggestions on launching at Hells gate will be appreciated because it is a lovely place and entering the coordinates into the GPS at my house before departure it showed 172 km to destinatition……
(5 hours)…I will surely visit it again….
The Pic does not justify the real feel...