Hello, I would like to do a trip with my Ally c

CIV

New member
Hello,

I would like to do a trip with my Ally canoe next year. My trip should be, if possible, characterized by the following characteristics:

I will have approximately two months for my trip, which does not mean that I would like to paddle everyday; I am happy to spend several days at one place just fishing, observing wildlife etc.

Whitewater only until class II; class III and higher only if there is the possibility to portage, line etc.

At least at some point the river should cross a wilderness area where there are the "Big Five"

I will only be able to conduct my trip between the end of July and the beginning of October.


One option, of course, would be the Zambezi; another option that I have to, unfortunately, forget about, due to the fact that I will conduct my trip during the dry-season, is the Luangwa River.

Any other options, suggestions, information etc. is more than welcome!

If you prefer it, you can also send me an email to the following email-address:

xhendrixx(at)gmx.de

Thank you!
 

marbe

New member
A must read. http://books.google.co.za/books?id=8lnRE6wDxk0C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
 

Malgas

Senior Member
Hi Koper, have you considered paddling the length of the Okavango swamps in Botswana, from Shakawe -where you are on the Kavango River to Maun. My brother did it as a teenager, in his last year of school- they paddled 30km a day for 3 weeks, I think. The trip will take you through the length of the papyrus swamps-in places that you feel no one has ever been. The majority of the area is National park and I don't think you could get a better all round experience. The fishing includes Tiger fish, African pike and a number of bream/barbell species. In the past the Botswana Parks board used to provide a guide for the trip, that you feed etc. If really want big rivers after this then head North to the Chobe R on the Caprivi Strip is a good bet -also National parks -possible launch from Kasane? The catch is that you need someone to drive you to Shakawe and pick you up at Maun. There are a lot of 4x4 enthusiasts that would do it just for fun in SA, keep trying the forums! If I sound like a travel guide I am not, just something on my "bucket-list" I have yet to do!
 

CIV

New member
Hi,

thanks for the answers!

Would I be allowed to do the trips on the Kavango, respectively the Chobe by myself, or would it be mandatory to have a guide? I would like to do the trip on my own without a guide!

And what about the costs? I have read that in order to pass for example the Mana Pools National Park on the Zambezi, one would have to pay approximately 30,00$ per day just for passing by and camping, excluding fishing fees etc.!

Greetings
 

Malgas

Senior Member
Hi CIV, I think you will have to pay a daily park entrance fee for the duration that you spend in the park. I doubt whether any National Park is going to allow you to go solo through their waters in any event. Best bet is to contact the Botswana Parks board and find out how they view things. If you want to go solo you may have to look for a National Park that has a major river as it's border, eg. the Shire River with it's border on Liwonde Game Reserve in Malawi,(but....apparently with the highest concentration of crocs in the world in the Lower Shire). Or rivers in the Caprvi strip such as the Chobe and upper Kavango, accessed from Namibia and /or Botswana. Check access options with the various Parks boards. Other considerations come into play from a security/ poachers point of view when outside of the National Parks, but I am sure you will weigh these up? Happy paddling- wherever you end up- keep us informed in terms of what your final choice is and how the trip progresses it would be great to follow? Cheers.
 

CIV

New member
Hi Malgas,

thanks for your reply.

Liwonde is not an option for me: I have already been to the park and there is not much wildlife left; in addition, the white 'game ranger' at the scout camp where I used to stay, was very unfriendly, unhelpful etc. so I have sworn to never go back to this place!

The Chobe and Kavango may be an option: I have also been to these places, but only with the car, respectively with the plane, so I will have to gather some information as far as paddling these areas is concerned!

Thanks!
 
Top